Working out on sore muscles?

Options
I went to a class at my gym on Monday and my muscles are so, so sore. I can barely go down the stairs. I was planning on taking the class again tonight, but I'm seriously not sure I should. Should I do it or maybe just run and do some machines tonight? Just don't know what is "good" to do.

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch...and go to class :)
  • yep i would be in the class.

i workout with a trainer 3 days a week, plus teach cycle and water aerobics by the time saturday comes my body fills like it will fall apart but it is the last class for the week and I have to push myself to finish.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    most likey they will feel much better after working out again

careful stretching cold muscles.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll be there, sore muscles and all!! Thanks everyone!
  • smileylace
    smileylace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should pick up a foam roller or a runners stick. Foam rollers will help break down the lactic acid in your muscles which is part of why you ache. :)
  • jules1202
    Options
    Yep it will hurt but you should go. Maybe take some motrin an hour prior?

When I start a new tough worklout routine I prefer to do it two days in a row becauseI find I am not as sore the 3rd day then. For example; if I do a new workout routine on Monday I am my sorest Wednesday but if I workout Tuesday before the soreness hits on Wednesday it isn't as bad (assuming the second workout releases some of the lactic acid).
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I think the answer depends on how sore you are. I would try doing the class, chances are once your muscles get warm a lot of the sore feeling will go away and you won't even remember how you felt earlier. This time after class do some extra stretching and give yourself extra cooldown time before heading out into the cold. I have been dancing for 23 years and have been a dance teacher for the last 4 and know that stretching is really important in keeping your hard working muscles healthy. When you shower after your workout, stretch again when your muscles are warm again, which will also help. ]

However if you go to class and really cannot move or perform in a safe way, do not stay. Try walking on a treadmill or elliptical and working up slowly to a faster pace for around 30 minutes, get those muscles nice and warm and keep them warm and do a lot of stretching. Remember to listen to your body and don't let your ego get in the way. Taking it easy today or taking a day off can help you keep to a regular workout schedule rather than wearing your body out so much that you can't move! Good luck and keep at it, know that when you're sore you are on your way to getting stronger!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stretch it out and go to class. After a while you will learn to love the soreness ;-)
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    ^this
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    As my swimming coach used to be fond of shouting whilst we were training: "its only pain"....
  • analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Go to class! Chances are you will feel better by mid workout because those muscles will be back to being warm. I've noticed that a lot of instructors don't stretch nearly as long as we all should; 20-30 seconds each.

Believe me - hard to believe but going to class will help you.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    it's more important to stretch after a workout.

after your class tonight, remember to stretch stretch stretch and stretch some more! I find i'm barely sore the next day if I get a good 10-15 minutes stretch after my workout.

if i forget to stretch, i can't move for a week.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We did stretch afterward, but I guess not enough :happy: