I'm new - and have a question

Options

Replies

• KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the majority of mine back, but not all of them. MFP already calculates the caloric intake for the day that you set to "lose 2 pounds per week" etc. If you're hungry eat... If not don't. Doesn't really matter.
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is my personal approach but if you are okay with the alloted calorie intake for the day i would avoid increasing to any "earned" calories. I have successfully stayed under my limit almost every day and it is good to know i could go over if i earned some extra but i have really been motivated by the success i have had not using them. I also avoid complex carbohydrates to aid in my metabolism doing it's job. My company is providing the services of a Nutritionist periodically and she has always said your body wants to burn fat while you sleep but if you load complex carbs in the evening it is too burdened breaking them down...so i try to stay with green vegetables and lean meats in the evening. I also have avoided breads, pastas, potatoes, rice, etc... I think it has also helped that i eat breakfast lunch and two snacks a day in addition to dinner to keep my metabolism fired up and to avoid being hungry.

I also use greek nonfat plain yogurt in place of sour cream with ranch dressing mix or onion soup mix for a dip for vegetables at snack time or with a fruit or flax seed for a snack. Have used it on sweet potatoes in place of sour cream etc.

I have tried every diet there is but have found the basic portion control and calorie counting with myfitnesspal to be very successful. Good luck with your effort.

Some awesome tips there!! I've found portion control and calorie counting to be great so far. None of those other crazy fad diets every worked for me.
  • CharT5188
    Options
    Hello, if your going to do an intense workout or run, then yes i would reccomend you eat the calories burned. Here are some tips that have helped me in the past:

dont eat past 6:30(seems hard). While your body is at rest, it takes a lot longer for food to digest.
    Limit amount of soda and juices..too many artificial sugars that take the body a long time to recognize and digest
    drink 16 oz of water(2 cups) before each meal.. you will get full faster
    eat frequently but watch your portions
    eat slow and savor each bite.. give your senses time to pick up the smell of the food. When your brain picks up on the small, you get full faster( ever wonder why after you slave over making dinner you dont feel as hungry?)

hope this helps.

Awesome tips! Love the one about smelling the food, it makes sense!
  • quietmama
    Options
    I just started a couple of weeks ago. Theres days when I don't eat all my calories and some days I'll eat some of the calories I've earned. Its working for me so far. Sending you a friend request.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 4 days now and I absolutely LOVE it (I even come here before going to FB). I really see this as a site that will help me to change my life!

I started a lifestyle change on January 7th with a goal of losing 105 lbs (to start) and just getting healthier. So far I've lost 17 lbs but I want to make sure I keep it up by doing things right.

One question I have is whether I should be eating the extra calories I earn from exercise? My calorie goal is 1510 calories per day (which I find very manageable - I can't have any of the junk I normally did, but I get enough food that I don't feel hungry). However, I've seen several references to people talking about eating the calories they earn from exercise. What is your experience...should I stick to the 1510 (I usually come under that a little) or should I be eating the extra calories I burn as well?

Thanks! :) Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary to see if you have any recommendations.

It is good to eat your calories back, you don't want your net calories to be below 1200. This has been working for me so far. Also, I sent you a friend's request. Lastly, I still enjoy some of the "junk" foods that I ate before, but in little qualities. Can't deprive ourselves otherwise we are setting ourselves up to fail.

Congrats on the weight loss so far.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Everyone does something different it seems. Personally, I make an attempt to eat some of my exercise calories back.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    if you feel you want to then go for it i dont i loose that much faster but it may not be right for you
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 4 days now and I absolutely LOVE it (I even come here before going to FB). I really see this as a site that will help me to change my life!

I started a lifestyle change on January 7th with a goal of losing 105 lbs (to start) and just getting healthier. So far I've lost 17 lbs but I want to make sure I keep it up by doing things right.

One question I have is whether I should be eating the extra calories I earn from exercise? My calorie goal is 1510 calories per day (which I find very manageable - I can't have any of the junk I normally did, but I get enough food that I don't feel hungry). However, I've seen several references to people talking about eating the calories they earn from exercise. What is your experience...should I stick to the 1510 (I usually come under that a little) or should I be eating the extra calories I burn as well?

Thanks! :) Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary to see if you have any recommendations.

It is good to eat your calories back, you don't want your net calories to be below 1200. This has been working for me so far. Also, I sent you a friend's request. Lastly, I still enjoy some of the "junk" foods that I ate before, but in little qualities. Can't deprive ourselves otherwise we are setting ourselves up to fail.

Congrats on the weight loss so far.

Just to clarify, I do not usually eat all my exercise calories back and sometimes have netted below 1200 but other days it's opposite. It works for everyone different. And I'm not a professional and I am still learning myself.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them! :)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You might get some different replies form people on here, but I generally eat most of my calories back. This is because MFP has a built in deficit if you eat the number calories that is suggests for you. Any extra calories earned through exercise can be eaten back, while still maintaining that original deficit that you set. If you are burning a substantial number of calories from exercise, your body definitely needs the extra fuel!

If you want some more detailed info, this link is FANTASTIC:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

and if you want to try the TDEE method instead of MFP, try this link too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Both of them are worth the read, and you will learn a lot in the process!

Good luck! :)

This is awesome feedback
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've found it's really up to you and what works best for your body and goals. When I first heard of eating back exercise calories, I started doing it, and noticed that my weight loss stopped. Then I decided to quit eating them back, and my weight loss resumed. For me, eating back my exercise calories would only maintain my weight, which is not my goal right now. Find what works for you, stick to it, and don't worry what others say.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have never countrd calories or dieted so this is all very new to me.
    I know i should be drinking water, but i HATE water. So my question
    is. Can i use my coffee and tea as my water? I know i need to add it to
    my calorie counter. Anyone know?
    You can, but water is still your best bet. Here's a link from the Mayo Clinic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    welcome ! lots of support &info here, not to mention great tools. anyeone is welcome to friend me. the more the merrier
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I was working on losing, I didn't really eat back any of my exercise calories and it never slowed me down. I would maybe eat an extra protein or something if I felt really drained or light-headed, but that didn't happen often.

Now that I'm trying to maintain, I eat back most of my exercise calories. I rarely eat back all of them because it just seems like too much food!

Congrats on your losses so far!!
  • CharT5188
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all the feedback and your personal experiences. I think since I feel good now and I'm losing weight I'll keep going the way I am and not eat back the calories I "earn". BUT maybe if there is a day I want to eat out or have something special (birthday cake for example) maybe I'll work out extra and eat back those calories.

Thanks again - this is why I love this place!!! :)
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just to let you know a lot of people believe in eating back the calories and it works for some. Unfortunately I always go back and forth on the question. I can see how it would help because then your body is starving for those calories but then I kind of think well why in the hell would i workout and burn calories and then add those calories back. It depends on what your body reacts to best. Try both ways for at least three days each and then determine.
  • book_worm4
    Options
    Some days I eat all my exercise calories back, others I don't. So for me I guess it depends on the day.

But basically, if you're hungry, eat something. Don't hold back on eating just because you don't want to go over your calorie limit. Some days you will go over, and that's perfectly fine. Just try to eat something on the healthier side of things.
  • megtown11
    Options
    Hey! I enjoy exercising in the morning before i eat breakfast or anything, that way i can see what all i can eat for the day. i get close to what my body has burned off in a day by maybe leaving 200 calories or so. but the "extra" calories i eat i try to make it fruits and veggies. i think theoretically you are supposed to replace what your body has lost. good luck on your journey!
  • MILF_wannab
    Options
    I eat some back. I certainly don't believe in starving my self. But I like to keep my body guessing so sometimes I eat it all back. Especially if I'm hungry. Sometimes I eat part of it back. I do want feels right by my body. We are all in this together!
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    request sent! as others have stated- invest in a heart rate monitor. i have found that MFP grossly exaggerates calories burned on most exercises. thus, is you go by what MFP says you burned and eat those back, you will probably not see any wt loss. i have found that the MFP response to walking (treadmill 4.0) is close to what my HRM states. the more strenuous the exercise, the grossly over-estimated the numbers from MFP. enjoy your journey.