Only Eating One or Two Meals a Day

Options
I've noticed that a lot of people only record one or two meals in their diary per day, sometimes accompanied by a small snack. I am wondering if they are experiencing more of a weight loss with that approach. I am hungry ALL the time and can't seem to find a way to curb my hunger. Does anyone have any tips/ feedback?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    For some people, eating smaller frequent meals leads to more hunger, and they fair better on larger, less frequent meals.

I tried eating 6 meals a day a few years back and it made me want to punch things.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency is a personal preference.

You have to find what works for you.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary, it's hard to give many tips.

At a guess, though, you either aren't eating enough calories period, or you're eating too many simple carbs. Sugars and starches set you up for rebound hunger a few hours after you eat them. Protein, fats, and vegetables help keep the hunger at bay.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I mostly only do tow big meals, one in the 4-8pm range and one on the 8-midnight range then small things earlier in the day. But that works for me because I am NOT hungry earlier in the day and am at night. SO I shifted my calorie intake to accommodate that.

Since I can't see your diary I can only give you general advvice, but generally speaking, if your goal is set to only 1200 calories it is too low (check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 )

Also, while the general premise of calories in under calories out is pretty much accepted. The whole meal timing and size thing is shrouded in mystery and controversy. This is the part where you are a special, special snowflake. But it has less to do with magical weight-loss solutions and more to do with your personal compliance to the plan. If six mini meals keeps you satisfied and stops you from overeating, go for it. If two large meals in the morning ans a late snack does the same, go for it. If two large meals in the evening and a morning snack does the same, go for it.

There is a notes section in your diary so try somethings, and make some notes about how it makes you feel.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time as well and have noticed that on the days I don't have 3 meals and 1 snack but rather a couple meals I am not as hungry. It seems to be an individual thing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    For some people, eating smaller frequent meals leads to more hunger, and they fair better on larger, less frequent meals.

I tried eating 6 meals a day a few years back and it made me want to punch things.

is this my problem lol?

it does make my metabolism burn like a jet engine... but thats supposed to be good right?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency won't affect the amount of fat you lose, or how quickly you lose it, but it might affect how easy it is for you to stick with your calorie restriction. I couldn't do the whole "6 small meals" thing either. With that method, I never really feel full and satisfied, plus I feel like I'm constantly thinking about food.

I tend to have 2-3 meals, and evening snacks. Either a small breakfast and lunch with a large dinner and after dinner snacking, or the same, but skipping breakfast. This works for me because I tend to feel less hungry earlier on in the day. Some people who practise Intermittent Fasting do just one very big meal a day, and find that they don't feel hungry until it's time to eat that meal.

Play around with a bit and see what makes you feel better. If you're currently doing frequent, small meals, try fewer, bigger meals, or vice versa.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This was also my experience. I never felt full, never felt satisfied. I eat a little in the morning and a small evening dessert - but my lunch and dinner take up most of my calories. I just feel more like a happy human being when I can work it that way.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

This was also my experience. I never felt full, never felt satisfied. I eat a little in the morning and a small evening dessert - but my lunch and dinner take up most of my calories. I just feel more like a happy human being when I can work it that way.
    Same here.
    I also have IBS...gross I know. But oddly enough its only triggered if I eat within a few hours of waking up.
    If I wait until 11am (Im up by 7)..I seem to be ok,
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm always eating it seems. :)
  • slimsummerr
    Options
    Definately a preference thing! I tried eating a 5/6 meals a day and got too excited haha and for me it messed up my eating plan and did nothing. I ended up eating more than I usually would. By nature, I am a three meals girl, I will have a good breakfast around eightish, nice lunch around half twelve/one and a pleasant dinner about fiveish. I dont snack inbetween and aim for around 1300-500 calories and day, and am losing weight with exercise. It really does depend on what works for you, try both and see which you prefer, get to know you're body better and challenge it yet don't harm it/be too strict. My friend is a grazer and eats several times a day a bit more than me all together but hey ho thats what she likes and shes losing weight also. Do what suits you.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 small meals a day and about 10 glasses of water. I space them out well and eat my last meal about an hr before bed. I don't feel hungry during the day. Remember to drink plenty of water and eat filling fiber rich foods. I also save higher cal treats for later in the day so if i do get hungry i can delete those and add real food instead. Add me if you would like.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1020 calories and am now eating 1050-1100. More if I have long workouts. For comparison purposes I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 162.4 I've lost steadily almost every week. With some stalling at certain numbers.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. I like the experience, especially on a work day, of sitting down with some food and taking some time to eat it. When I'm at work, I feel useless on the few lunch breaks I actually DO get, so I prefer to just grab something small and inhalable like a few pieces of string cheese or something. I try to force myself to eat a lunch or snack at some point because otherwise I get too hungry at the end of the day and eat too much. Ditto breakfast- I pretty much just shove something into my face so I won't get ridiculously hungry or tired after my walk to work. In summer, my default breakfast is "Shove something in the blender" because when you combine summer SAD with early rising I really can't face food in the morning.

But like the other poster said, what times you eat and how much should affect your results. Do whatever makes it easier for you to stick to your calorie and nutrition goals and be happy.