I'm new - and have a question

Options
13»

Replies

• Loricaminiti
    Options
    I have the same question, and was going to ask my trainer tonight. I will let you know what she says about the calories earned from exercising. Nice to meet you, I'm Lori. :)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like the method of eating the same calories every day, doing the same exercise every week, and adjusting calories based on results.
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 4 days now and I absolutely LOVE it (I even come here before going to FB). I really see this as a site that will help me to change my life!

I started a lifestyle change on January 7th with a goal of losing 105 lbs (to start) and just getting healthier. So far I've lost 17 lbs but I want to make sure I keep it up by doing things right.

One question I have is whether I should be eating the extra calories I earn from exercise? My calorie goal is 1510 calories per day (which I find very manageable - I can't have any of the junk I normally did, but I get enough food that I don't feel hungry). However, I've seen several references to people talking about eating the calories they earn from exercise. What is your experience...should I stick to the 1510 (I usually come under that a little) or should I be eating the extra calories I burn as well?

Thanks! :) Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary to see if you have any recommendations.

It is good to eat your calories back, you don't want your net calories to be below 1200. This has been working for me so far. Also, I sent you a friend's request. Lastly, I still enjoy some of the "junk" foods that I ate before, but in little qualities. Can't deprive ourselves otherwise we are setting ourselves up to fail.

Congrats on the weight loss so far.

I still enjoy some of the "junk" too...except I limit it to weekends and since I'm now counting calories they will be a part of my allowed number.
  • CharT5188
    Options
    I have the same question, and was going to ask my trainer tonight. I will let you know what she says about the calories earned from exercising. Nice to meet you, I'm Lori. :)

Awesome Lori - can't wait to hear what the trainer says.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    I like the method of eating the same calories every day, doing the same exercise every week, and adjusting calories based on results.

This...i figured out what my TDEE was -20% so i eat the same amount of calories regardless if I work out or not. It's more of a weekly calculation IMO. I do not eat my exercise calories back since they are already figured into my TDEE. I just have to make sure i always get in at least 1-3 hours of light exercise every week. For me, this is more sustainable and easy to live on. It will take way longer to lose the weight but I hear slow and steady wins the race!
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Opinions on MFP will vary. I say do what works for you. When I started ~18 mo ago, I set my calorie goal to 1200 cal/day (2lb loss per week). When I first did it, I thought there was no way I could live on only 1200 calories/day. But once I started making smarter food choices (more filling fiber and protein, fewer carbs), I found it easier than expected...not EASY, but not terrible. When I started working out, I ate back those calories when I needed to. I know people will say not to go below 1200 calories/day but there were days I worked out and netted less than that. But if I ate healthy and drank my water, I didn't feel like I was starving. Using this plan, I could even fit in some junk food favorites on a very limited/controlled basis so I didn't completely "fall off the wagon". I considered it a NSV (non-scale victory) the times I could put in a good workout and not feel guilty about going over 1200 total calories but while still trying to stay under 1200 NET calories. Bottom line for me was smart choices and put in the work. Going out for dinner? Put in the work! Ging to a party? Put in the work! Again, I'm no expert, and don't claim to be. But right or wrong, it worked for me. And that's what matters...that it works for you. Good luck!!
  • deidra13
    deidra13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat them back, but not all of them, maybe 75%
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them back...sometimes not. Depends on how hungry I am. Mostly I just use them as some cushion room in case I go over my scheduled allotment.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I eat back exercise calories if I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry and I still have 200 or 300 calories left for the day, I just leave them. There will be other days that I go over my allotment, and I guess I kinda hope it balances out in the long term.
  • ssvierck1020
    Options
    Hi there. I am also new on here. Congrats on making the decision to get healthy. I just quit smoking so I have that added pressure besides the weight loss. I am sorry I don't have any answers to your questions about calories and exercise.

I have a strict 1200 cal plan to follow and its very tough especially when I am use to eating alomost 2-3000 cal a day of pure junk.
    I do well during the day and I am not hungry but once I get home I feel like I am starving before I even get dinner done. I haven't begun to add exercise in yet as I am adjusting to some life style changes first. Eventually I will get the exercise going.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Hello, if your going to do an intense workout or run, then yes i would reccomend you eat the calories burned. Here are some tips that have helped me in the past:

dont eat past 6:30(seems hard). While your body is at rest, it takes a lot longer for food to digest.
    Limit amount of soda and juices..too many artificial sugars that take the body a long time to recognize and digest
    drink 16 oz of water(2 cups) before each meal.. you will get full faster
    eat frequently but watch your portions
    eat slow and savor each bite.. give your senses time to pick up the smell of the food. When your brain picks up on the small, you get full faster( ever wonder why after you slave over making dinner you dont feel as hungry?)

hope this helps.

Sorry - I just have to chime in here - any newbies reading this - this is WRONG on so many levels.....

There is no reason whatsoever to stop eating at 6:30 - I have lost over a 100lbs - mostly eating between 8:30 and 9 pm at night....and many others on here will tell you the same.....many people are shift workers and eat right through the night.....

" when your brain picks up the smell you get full faster" REALLY Boy I wonder why there are any fat people in the world - if it was as simple as smelling your food and you won't over eat wouldn't it be fantastic......sorry to say but this one needs to go into the history of MFP misinformation.....
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I always make sure that I am above my BMR, and then I decide day to day if I want to eat back more than that! I do tend to stay as close to my TDEE -15% calculation as possible though (15% instead of 20% because I'm close to my goal). Makes it SO MUCH easier when you switch to maintenance.
  • JessicaG234
    JessicaG234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Welcome to MFP! :smile: Feel free to add me as a friend.

As for your question, I see you have a ton of replies, which is great. I can't help but add one more response to your question though.

Yes, try to eat back your calories that you burn from working out. As some people have stated, MFP already gives you a calorie deficit so you can lose weight. I have seen many people on MFP lose a ton of weight quickly because they do not eat back their workout calories, and all of a sudden, the weight loss just stops. This is because the body (which is AMAZING!) realizes that it is not getting enough energy (calories) and begins to slow down the metabolism so it can in a sense "keep" enough calories for normal function. A messed up metabolism can keep you from losing weight healthily. It may even cause other health problems.

Now you might not eat back all of your workout calories everyday and that's fine, but try to use them. I always eat back most (50 - 75%) of my burned calories and I'm still losing weight. Eating your calories back and losing weight at a steady pace will help you finish with a healthy body rather than just a "skinnier" body. :wink:
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I generally eat back some, but not all of the calories I burn when I workout-- working out makes me hungry!
  • CharT5188
    Options
    Thanks for ALL the responses everyone!
  • sbaker43
    sbaker43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you think that not eating them will slow weight loss?
  • CharT5188
    Options
    Do you think that not eating them will slow weight loss?

I don't know. That's why I asked the people in here with experience. For now what I'm doing seems to be working so I'll keep at it.