Headaches during pushups and planks?

Options
I'm working on increasing the number of pushups I can do in a set and the time I can hold a plank, but I end up getting what I can only describe as crippling headaches during and after. I drink plenty of water when I'm exercising and I don't experience these during any other form of exercise. I'm wondering if anyone also experiences this or if anyone might have an idea of what could be causing it or how to alleviate it. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    have you seen your doctor? do you have any issues with blood pressure?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    have you seen your doctor? do you have any issues with blood pressure?

Are you straining your neck?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I get them if I do them wrong... if I don't relax my shoulders away from my ears and have a straight line with my spine. Just make sure your form is correct - ask a trainer to help you. If it persists, I agree with seeing a doctor.

Also, if you're planking don't put your head directly down or look up... you need to be looking at your fists or if you're on your hands about a foot/2feet in front of you. for push ups if you put your head down, that will cause pressure in your head, make sure you're gazing away like the planks.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a doctor too if they are crippling. Also, these are exercises it's easy to hold your breath. Don't hold your breath
  • RhysGM
    RhysGM Posts: 39
    Options
    Do you get headaches when on a flat bench doing presses?

Try to do the press ups with yours hand elevated on a chair or step and see if that fixes it. It can happen with some people where blood goes to the head.

Also make sure you are doing them correctly, breath out when pushing up and in on the easy bit. Don't hold your breath.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Focus on your breathing. Deep breaths, in through the nose out through the mouth, it's more important that you realize. I don't know if it's the cause or not but when I started I was holding my breath a lot with the plank and other exercises, big mistake. I would get dizzy and it would cause a big head rush followed by a headache.

It's worth trying, good luck!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't holding your breath!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    might be high blood pressure? doctor time!! (better safe than sorry)
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I get headaches doing planks when I have a pinched in my neck.
  • StacyLynnBennett
    StacyLynnBennett Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues as well. One of my friends in the classes I take says it is because of not breathing properly when you do planks or pushups. I thought it was because of all the pressure it takes to lift my body up. That is what I was told I hope it helps. I am trying to breathe properly when I do these exercises and it seems to help when I remember to breathe right. :smile:
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure to breathe properly? Sometimes when I do exercises such as this I will find myself almost holding my breath to get through it. It causes a headache for me.
  • Xanovira
    Options
    I have low blood pressure, currently. Would that be an issue?

I'll definitely consult my trainer to check my form and pay attention to my breathing to make sure I'm not unintentionally breathing irregularly. Thanks for all of the responses!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure, currently. Would that be an issue?

I'll definitely consult my trainer to check my form and pay attention to my breathing to make sure I'm not unintentionally breathing irregularly. Thanks for all of the responses!

I have low blood pressure too, which is why I have to stand up slow after doing anything on the floor. Tell your trainer to pay attention to your breathing. Once I learned how to breath correctly it made the world of difference. Good luck!
  • Weejordi
    Weejordi Posts: 2
    Options
    Could be a sodium deficiency, in which case eat more salt to replace what you sweat out. Check out this article ...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/277354-sodium-deficiency-migraines/
  • arpisekeryan
    Options
    It happened to me too! It started mid planking and got worse right after... I thought it might be because I might be coming down with a cold (I've been sneezing on and off for a couple of days now).
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor. These headaches could be anything from incorrect form or holding your breath to cerviogenic headaches, to orthostatic hypo- or hypertension (usually caused by heart disease) and aneurysm. Of course, it's usually just a need to correct your form or breathe, but you should probably see your doctor before you see your trainer (unless your trainer went to medical school!)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor. These headaches could be anything from incorrect form or holding your breath to cerviogenic headaches, to orthostatic hypo- or hypertension (usually caused by heart disease) and aneurysm. Of course, it's usually just a need to correct your form or breathe, but you should probably see your doctor before you see your trainer (unless your trainer went to medical school!)

Tot agree. Youll probably find out its nothing maybe just a pinched nerve. But im surs your health doctor would rather you were sqfe than sorry.

Good luck with sorting it out.

How long are you planking out of interest.