1200 Calories??? Are you kidding me...lol

Options

Replies

• Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I don't know about you but it seems like some things trigger me over indulging, might want to add the questions "is this a trigger food?" :)
  • amberbf610
    Options
    Why do we only get calories back if we do cardio....but nothing for an hour of strength training? Also, why does it only add the time doing cardio vs. strength?

You have to look up "strength training" in the cardio section if you want to log it. In general, it does not burn very many calories so people just use the strength tab to track their improvement.

Great! Thanks!!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    with *only* 30 to lose (i know, it's still gonna take some work), but if you add some exercise and shoot for a pound a week, you can up your calories for sure. this is a handy calculator too. it also gives you the option of how quickly you want to lose....

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 3000 calories a day to maintain, then you can cut your calories to 1500 and lose 3 pounds a week or 2000 to lose 2 a week. If you add some exercise even more. I went to the university and had tests done to scientifically determine just how much calories I had to eat and how much exercise I had to do to lose a particular amount of weight. As far as your coming home ravenous--it's probably because you're not eating enough during the day and it's easier to stave off hunger when you are at work and busy and around other people. I used to drink liquids all day and maybe have a sandwich or piece of fruit for lunch. I was starving when I came home simply because I was starving. I shoved food in my mouth and grazed and picked and when dinner came I wasn't really hungry but I had to sit down to eat with my family so I forced myself. If you feed your body a little on regular time intervals during the day, you can avoid the starvation burst of eating when you get home. The thing everyone is told to do now by dieticians and doctors is to eat six smaller meals during the day with a ceiling of 300 calories. Most people think 300 calories is not enough and when you look at the amount of food you can have fro your regular meals that your used to trying to find 300 calories is going to be a challenge, but I promise you, if you wake up at 7 and eat at 730am and then again at 10am, and follow that pattern throughout the day, you're not going to be hungry or starving when you come home. This is just a matter of opinion and my attempt to give you feedback and to help you in any way I can.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    and congrats on giving up the grits! not easy, i know!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you make your own food you'd be surprised how much 1200 can really be. You could just workout really hard and probably add another ~400+ to your daily. I could easily live off of sub 1200, but it effects my energy levels at the gym.

^^This. Eat whole foods as much as possible, and prepare your meals fresh. 1200 calories of whole foods has much more volume than 2,000-3,000 calories of overprocessed junk.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/377891-eating-healthy-vs-junk-food/
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you make your own food you'd be surprised how much 1200 can really be. You could just workout really hard and probably add another ~400+ to your daily. I could easily live off of sub 1200, but it effects my energy levels at the gym.

^^This. Eat whole foods as much as possible, and prepare your meals fresh. 1200 calories of whole foods has much more volume than 2,000-3,000 calories of overprocessed junk.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/377891-eating-healthy-vs-junk-food/

and if it's below the OP's BMR, it won't make a difference.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You could probably boost your calorie goal to 1300-1500 calories. You'll get another snack in for the day, but still probably be at a deficit. Check out what your BMR and TDEE at fit2fat.com (I think that's the site--google will take you there). It will give you a better picture of what your calorie level is.

THIS. I usually end around 1500 calories per day on the days that I workout.
  • marsbull
    Options
    I have been clean eating for just over 2 weeks now and I am finding it hard to eat the 1200 calories. I have fresh fruit for breakfast, salads or homemade veggy soup for lunch with a peice of toast or crackers and than meat with either a salad or rice for supper. Throw in two more snacks of either veggies or fruit and I am usually sitting at around 800 - 900 calories per day. I am also never hungry.

I am however very very sededantry. I work two jobs and have alot of evening board meetings and do not have time to work out. If I was working out I don't think that what I am consuming would be adequeate. I also find on the days that I skip a snack I am starving come supper time so I must always make sure that I have a snack to tied me over.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why do we only get calories back if we do cardio....but nothing for an hour of strength training? Also, why does it only add the time doing cardio vs. strength?

You have to look up "strength training" in the cardio section if you want to log it. In general, it does not burn very many calories so people just use the strength tab to track their improvement.

If you do the right type of strength training, you can burn a lot of calories, not including the epoc affect. You really burn more calories when you start compound sets and endurance sets.
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Girl I just wrote an article about Trigger foods--there are many--but it's up to the individual to discover what they are. It is a well known and documented fact that sugar tends to make you hungrier not just for sugar but for anything. It is one of my biggest trigger foods. I also have trouble with bread, especially home baked--it does not have a chance to get cold at my house, no sooner is the loaf out of the over and it's on it's way to gone. Another thing to consider is Trigger people--there might be certain people that you are around who tend to drag you into 'let's eat this!" situations. I could never leave my mother's house without having to hold my pants up because in the process of the visit, I ate so much I had to unzip them. And there are also environment triggers--like the movie theater, where you just can't sit down without a bucket of popcorn, a soda and a couple of boxes of candy. Sometimes people just have to pay attention to what they're doing to make the changes they need to lose a bit of weight and become healthier. This is just my opinion and it is offered in the spirit of friendship to you as such and with the desire to be a help to you.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lose eating about 2100 calories/day while exercising. I'd die if I tried to eat even 1500 for a day.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    BIG congrats on quitting smoking, that is a major achievement and something to celebrate!! Hooray for you!!

I agree with those on here that it sounds like that is too few calories for you, especially if you are feeling that hungry when you get home. Go easy on yourself and try restricting just a little bit or changing out a few bad habits, like replacing junk food with healthy snacks and/or upping your activity level. I found exercise the very best help to quitting smoking there is!

Good luck and be kind to yourself, you have already overcome a huge obstacle so I hope you pat yourself on the back every day for it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You could probably boost your calorie goal to 1300-1500 calories. You'll get another snack in for the day, but still probably be at a deficit. Check out what your BMR and TDEE at fit2fat.com (I think that's the site--google will take you there). It will give you a better picture of what your calorie level is.

I agree with this. 1,200 calories is too little for too many. I've come to believe it's some sort of obligatory setting MFP gives to women. With only 30 Lbs to lose you could easily do 20% less of your TDEE and probably lose those 30 Lbs in 6-9 months. Slow and steady wins the race. Too many people start out losing big on 1,200 and then just plateau out before they're anywhere close to their goal...if they would have just taken it slower to begin with, they'd be ahead of the game.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories and I have absolutely no problem with being hungry or tired, etc, in fact some times I have a hard time eating up to the 1200 calories.
    I find that when I increase protein and lower carbs and eat more fruits and veggies, I can eat a lot more food for 1200 calories, verses trying to eat a bunch of "low fat" stuff, because that tends to have higher calories.

I've also had no issue losing weight at 1200 calories - Averaging about 1/2 to 1 lb per week (lost 37 so far). I have a sedentary job and I do not exercise.

Oh and I forgot to mention, if you find yourself eating while cooking dinner, chew a piece of sugar free gum. It works.
  • PositivelyFit74
    PositivelyFit74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! But I would suggest working your way to that number instead of just jumping in. Perhaps just make some different food choices. Incorporate more fruits and veggies to start. Drink an 8 oz glass of water when you feel hungry and see if you aren't just thirsty first. So often we mistake thirst for hunger. :)
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Trust me after 2 weeks it gets easier, your body needs to be rid of all the toxic junk food, once you have gotten past 2 weeks the cravings for crappy food diminish, hang in there.
  • dmcole13
    dmcole13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I copied your list - hoping it will help me with my "night time starvations". My days are set at 1430 calories & with exercies I can have more. I don't know if I could do 1200, have trouble with the 1430!!!! I lost 35lbs in my 1st 8 months & then decided to quit smoking after 30+ years. I did gain bout 20lbs back in the 1st 3 months, but really buckled down & lost it again in a month. Still smoke free after 8 months, but still think about it alot. Good luck to you.....
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options

THIS ^^^^^^ !!!

Take your time and go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help and read the pinned threads on things you should read.. it takes time to get the information right, def make yourself some tea as there's some serious reading ahead.. but yea you'll discover how important it is to EAT and NOT STARVE to lose weight :)

Good luck!