Stevia ...any one heard about it???

Options
hey , i was searching for a good sweetner and i heard that the japanese use something called Stevia. its a natural sweetener from some herb in the latin america but its banned in europe.
wondering whats wrong with it as far as it is natural??!! not to mention that the japanese are using it widely. any more information guys cauze i really couldnt give up my sweet cup of tea?

Replies

• veganmommy04
    Options
    i have some. i don't use it often cause i don't use sweetners often. its no calories, and it is natural, its one of the few sweetners that is vegan reccomeded. which is why i have it. lol. i wasn't aware it was banned in europe though. so who knows.
  • txjujub
    txjujub Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I bought some a few months back, but don't care for the taste. I still use equal in my coffee & drink unsweetened tea. I even tried to pass it off to my kids and they don't like it either.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    The ONLY potential side effect (from my research) that's even been suggested is one small study that concluded it slightly inhibited conception in mice.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I use stevia, it was recommended to my by my holistic nutritionist. It is derived from an herb plant....it is supposed to be completely natural. I only use a little in my coffee. I like it well enough. A much better alternative to sugar, saccharin and aspartame. I had not heard it was banned in Europe.
  • jagsfans
    jagsfans Posts: 1
    Options
    I use it exclusively in my sweet tea and kool aid. It has no calories and only take a faction to sweeten to the same sweetness as sugar. I buy mine from iherb.com.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

[edit] Safety
    A 1985 study reported that steviol, a breakdown product from stevioside and rebaudioside (two of the sweet steviol glycosides in the stevia leaf), is a mutagen in the presence of a liver extract of pre-treated rats[38] — but this finding was criticized on procedural grounds that the data were mishandled in such a way that even distilled water would appear mutagenic.[39] Over the following years bioassay, cell culture, and animal studies have shown mixed results in terms of toxicology and adverse effects of stevia constituents. While reports emerged that found steviol and stevioside to be weak mutagens,[40][41] the bulk of studies show an absence of harmful effects.[42][43] In a 2008 review, 14 of 16 studies cited showed no genotoxic activity for stevioside, 11 of 15 studies showed genotoxic activity for steviol, and no studies showed genotoxicity for Rebaudioside A. No evidence for stevia constituents causing cancer or birth defects has been found.[42][43]

Other studies have shown stevia to improve insulin sensitivity in rats[44] and possibly even to promote additional insulin production,[45] helping to reverse diabetes and metabolic syndrome.[46] Preliminary human studies suggest that stevia can help reduce hypertension[47] although another study has shown it to have no effect on hypertension.[48] Indeed, millions of Japanese have been using stevia for over thirty years with no reported or known harmful effects.[49] Similarly, stevia leaves have been used for centuries in South America spanning multiple generations in ethnomedical tradition as a treatment for type II diabetes.[50]

In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) performed a thorough evaluation of recent experimental studies of stevioside and steviols conducted on animals and humans, and concluded that "stevioside and rebaudioside A are not genotoxic in vitro or in vivo and that the genotoxicity of steviol and some of its oxidative derivatives in vitro is not expressed in vivo."[51] The report also found no evidence of carcinogenic activity. Furthermore, the report noted that "stevioside has shown some evidence of pharmacological effects in patients with hypertension or with type-2 diabetes"[51] but concluded that further study was required to determine proper dosage. The WHO's Joint Experts Committee on Food Additives has approved, based on long-term studies, an acceptable daily intake of steviol glycoside of up to 4 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.[52]

[edit] Political controversy
    In 1991, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeled stevia as an "unsafe food additive" and restricted its import. The FDA's stated reason was "toxicological information on stevia is inadequate to demonstrate its safety."[53] This ruling was controversial, as stevia proponents pointed out that this designation violated the FDA's own guidelines under which natural substances used prior to 1958, with no reported adverse effects, should be generally recognized as safe (GRAS) as long as the substance was being used in the same way and format as prior to 1958.

Stevia occurs naturally, requiring no patent to produce it. As a consequence, since the import ban in 1991, marketers and consumers of stevia have shared a belief that the FDA acted in response to industry pressure.[27] Arizona congressman Jon Kyl, for example, called the FDA action against stevia "a restraint of trade to benefit the artificial sweetener industry."[54] To protect the complainant, the FDA deleted names in the original complaint in its responses to requests filed under the Freedom of Information Act.[27]

Stevia remained banned until after the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act forced the FDA in 1995 to revise its stance to permit stevia to be used as a dietary supplement, although not as a food additive — a position that stevia proponents regard as contradictory because it simultaneously labels stevia as safe and unsafe, depending on how it is sold.[55]

Although unresolved questions remain about whether metabolic processes can produce a mutagen from stevia in animals, let alone in humans, the early studies nevertheless prompted the European Commission in 1999 to ban stevia's use in food in the European Union pending further research.[56] Singapore and Hong Kong have banned it also.[26] More recent data compiled in the safety evaluation released by the World Health Organization in 2006[51] suggest that these policies may be obsolete.

In December 2008, the FDA gave a "no objection" approval for GRAS status to Truvia (developed by Cargill and The Coca-Cola Company) and PureVia (developed by PepsiCo and the Whole Earth Sweetener Company, a subsidiary of Merisant), both of which use rebaudioside A derived from the Stevia plant.[57]
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I used it in my coffee this morning. It does not evoke a spike in blood glucose, tried and true.