Little thing I found out about "pint" size water bottles

Options
I was wondering how many cups are in a pint and came across this. It is weird that the U.K. gets to count more ounces then we do lol.

How many liquid ounces are in a pint?
In: Cooking Measurements, Volume, Weight and Mass

Williams-Sonoma ®
Top-Quality Cookware & Tableware, Find Everything for the Kitchen.
www.williams-sonoma.com

16 ounces to the pint (US)
There are three teaspoons (tsp.) in a tablespoon.

There are two tablespoons (tbs.) in an ounce.

There are 8 ounces (oz.) in a cup.

There are 2 cups (c.) in a pint.

There are two pints (pt.) in a quart.

There are four quarts (qt.) in a gallon (gal.).

Hence, there are 16 ounces in a pint. (A US pint, that is. A UK pint has more, which is why I prefer to drink ale in pubs across the pond. See the US/UK conversions below, and be prepared to be perplexed.)

Ounces in a Pint
Arguably, there is no unit in existence that leads to more hair-pulling confusion than the pint. There's the UK pint, the US liquid pint, and the US dry pint, further complicated by the fact there is the UK liquid ounce and the US liquid ounce, which should never be -- but frequently is -- confused with the dry ounce, which is a measure of mass and weight, not volume.

Here are some conversions for you:
1 pint [US, liquid] = 16 ounce [US, liquid]

1 pint [UK] = 20 ounce [UK, liquid]

1 pint [US, liquid] = 16.653 483 693 ounce [UK, liquid]

1 pint [UK] = 19.215 198 808 ounce [US, liquid]

1 pint [US, dry] = 18.618 355 102 ounce [US, liquid]

1 pint [US, dry] = 19.378 779 567 ounce [UK, liquid]

Note that this is for a fluid pint and fluid ounce. Dry ounces and fluid ounces are not interchangeable. Fluid ounces are a measure of volume and dry ounces are a measure of weight or mass.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    This is why everyone should use the Metric system...:wink:
  • Adam13523
    Adam13523 Posts: 25
    Options
    Wasnt that popular in the mid 80's for a few weeks
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    metric system is evil and should be destroyed!

I live in England and grew up being taught the metric system in school. I am 43 and so anyone from 45 down would only have learnt metric and yet it is meaningless to everyone I know. When babies are born they tell you the weight in some metric measurement that no one can visualise, and everyone says 'what's that in lbs and oz? and when we measure and weigh children at school in metric units, parents ALWAYS ask us how tall/heavy they are in feet and inches and stones and lbs. I have no concept of how far a KM is and don't think I could guess at a litre, but I can visualise a mile, a pint and a lb.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    This is why everyone should use the Metric system...:wink:

No frigging kidding.

Like, what the deuce is a 'stone'? I know what it is, but for years I didn't... why not just use one measuring system THAT IS UNIFORM, the world over?
  • maz81
    maz81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    metric system is evil and should be destroyed!

I live in England and grew up being taught the metric system in school. I am 43 and so anyone from 45 down would only have learnt metric and yet it is meaningless to everyone I know. When babies are born they tell you the weight in some metric measurement that no one can visualise, and everyone says 'what's that in lbs and oz? and when we measure and weigh children at school in metric units, parents ALWAYS ask us how tall/heavy they are in feet and inches and stones and lbs. I have no concept of how far a KM is and don't think I could guess at a litre, but I can visualise a mile, a pint and a lb.

this is soooo true
    weight, length, mass, area etc etc shud be the same the world over!!!
    kg, km are soo confusing lbs stones, miles feet is what i understand and its silly but confusing all the same.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I knew there was a reason I liked drinking pints at the local pub when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath.

The Brits do have their good points. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ha! born and raised in the US guys, metric system was pretty rough to get used to. But I went to school for Chemical engineering for a long time, as such they MADE you learn the metric system, the WHOLE metric system, even conversions (which I have promptly forgotten, but that's ok, conversions are abundant on the web). I will say, once you learn it, the metric system is not only easier to understand, it's far more efficient and far more practical.

See, not all Americans are stubborn and obnoxious (well, not ALWAYS at least) :tongue:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I think the metric system is the way to go. Since I wasn't raised on it, it is hard to "visualize" the numbers, but I could do it with time. My thing is, I am 23 years old and I don't even know the exact number of feet in a mile. And I have to look up measurements all the time (tablespoons in whatever). At least with metric it would only be figuring out how many 'powers of ten' you had to go between. Oh well, at least I'm in the medical field and it's what we use!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think the metric system is the way to go. Since I wasn't raised on it, it is hard to "visualize" the numbers, but I could do it with time. My thing is, I am 23 years old and I don't even know the exact number of feet in a mile. And I have to look up measurements all the time (tablespoons in whatever). At least with metric it would only be figuring out how many 'powers of ten' you had to go between. Oh well, at least I'm in the medical field and it's what we use!

5280 feet per mile, by the way. I didn't know that either for a long time, but eventually I got really frustrated from always looking it up and so I found out one day and memorized it. LOL! It's such a random arbitrary number. That's why I like metric, every number is pretty much a multiple of other numbers. It's very clean that way.

1 kilometer is 1000 meters, 1 centimeter is 1 100th of a meter... 1 kilogram is 1000 grams...etc. see what I mean? Nice and simple.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in Canada and all her posts about jogging are in KM. I commented that I would probably be more impressed if it was in American (I was joking). She came back appologizing for it. I asked why she was appologizing as that is her unit of measurement and I was just being stupid. Her response "I am Canadian we always appologize." She does prefer to be weighed in kilograms though since 91 kilos sounds much better then 200 lbs.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    How on earth can metric be considered confusing?

It's all in 10s, hundreds, and thousands!
    How much easier can it get?

LOL@ dry weight vs wet weight.
    I once spent a LONG time trying to explain to someone how 8 oz of something light (I think it was rice bubbles or something like that) wasn't a CUP of them, when they were wondering how their recipe was going so, so wrong.

It's all about what you're used to though. Essentially, it's just another language to learn. You can be fluent in both ;)
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This is funny.... When my daughter was in the NICU, they measured her in metric, and we were always asking - how much is that in pounds and ounces? Now, I'm very fluent in the conversion between grams and ounces. Still, though, the dry versus liquid ounces - wtf!

I am definitely on the side of everyone using metric. Counting in 10s is much easier than all the mish-mash we currently have to remember... 12 inches in a foot, 5280 feet in a mile - why do we put ourselves through it?

10 centimeters in a decimeter, 10 decimeters in a meter, etc... even the prefixes make such sense! :D