Running and Effects on Weightloss

Options
I'm taking up running. Basic program. What should I expect the first 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months, etc. I have about 30lbs to lose and of course like most people the sooner I can get rid of it the better but I'm more interested in the experiences you had when you first started running.

1. When did it get easier?
2. Any pre or post run snacks meals you recommend?
3. Did you include strength training? (I am two days a week and yoga one)
4. How did you keep yourself motivated along the way.

I love the idea that you can literally run anywhere. It seems like sweet freedom to me.

Thanks for any insights.

Replies

• letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Warning; it's very easy to overestimate calories burnt, eat them all back, and not lose weight. That's my advice.
  • aligator423uf
    aligator423uf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor/watch that counts your calories, because like the previous poster said, it is very easy to overestimate calories burned. Also, doing something like Couch to 5K helps with a training program in the beginning when it starts to suck so bad that you want to quit. Get good shoes, stretch before and after, and eat some protein before you go (I take a string cheese with me and eat in during my warm up).
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm super new to running too, so I won't be all that much help. I'm doing the Couch to 5k program and am on Week 3 Day 2.

1. So far, it's never really gotten easier, exactly, since it ups your time running each week, but if I was to now try Week 1 Day 1, it'd be a breeze, and if I did Week 2 again..that'd be easier than it was when I originally was at that week. My husband has already completed the program and now to him the earlier weeks of less run time are super easy for him. So..in that sense, for me, it gets easier.

2. I eat lunch/dinner about an hour or so before I run. I'm not doing long distances yet so right now I don't eat snacks before.

3. I do include strength training. Body weight exercises and yoga 3-4 times a week.

4. With the Couch to 5k program the motivation is to complete the program. Signing up for a 5k can help since it gives you a target date to be ready for. During the run I like to go with someone who can keep me motivated, music can help too.

I also love that you can run anywhere, that's one of the main reasons I really wanted to get started. I don't have a gym membership, have before but don't like gyms that much, and this is something that I can do anywhere, any time.
  • agerman27
    agerman27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do have a HRM and I wear it whenever I work out (with the exception of yoga and I don't count those calories burned). I think people really miss the boat if they don't use an HRM.

Thanks for the great tips.

Do you have your MFP set at 1lb per week? or 2lb per week? I assume 1lb per week is better when starting out as you probably need the fuel.
  • TiffanyJMPotter
    TiffanyJMPotter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for several years, I'm currently out with a knee injury. It's a loved sport but not for all, it does get easier, and the miles you think you'd never run in your life seem to come naturally. My advise is to take it easy, jumping into running can be a tough on your body physically and mentally. I'd advise looking at Runnersworld.com they have WONDERFUL articles about everything including post run snacks! Once I get past the first mile my body usually gets into the swing of things and kind of becomes "numb" otherwise called a "runners high", to where you feel like you can go on forever! Make sure you keep hydrated, I seemed to always have a problem with my lungs and throat becoming cold or hurting in a sense, GUM is the key for me, it kept my throat coated! I wouldn't overdo the strength training at first but gradually incorporate it into your schedule depending on how much you run. I would run 2-3 times a week, long runs on Saturday, and strength train twice a week on days I didn't run. I loved listening to music when I ran but on busy roads or when taking a pet I wouldn't wear but one headphone in or non at all due to the traffic. Oh and I love Map my run app on my iphone, it will tell you how many miles, calories, pace etc. Good Luck, and just remember one foot in front of the other!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running did a LOT to change my shape the first 3 to 6 months I was doing it. I lost weight at about the same pace as before I was running, but was able to eat more, and my shape changed much faster. After 6 months though, the gains are much less noticeable.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight when you consume less than you burn. Run all you want, but if you're eating too much it won't matter. But to your questions...

1) For me, it became easier and I started enjoying running when I was able to get into a rhythm with my breathing. At that point, it wasn't such a struggle and I was able to increase my distance pretty easily. Speed I'm still working on.

2) No definite answer here. Try a few things and see what works for you. I prefer to run on an empty stomach. Not every one does. I like a protein shake after I run, but only to stave of hunger (if I let myself get hungry I'll eat everything in the house).

3) Yes, most definitely. Strength training benefits everything I do.

4) Motivation is rarely an issue (see #1).
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options

1. It gets a little easier all the time, but it's not necessarily linear, if that makes sense. Some days for whatever reason - your fuel, your hydration, your mood, the weather, may feel like a breeze and others may feel like a slog. Plus, as you begin to go farther and faster, it gets hard again before it gets easier again.

2. Not really. I agree with the poster who said it's easy to overestimate your burn especially in the early stages. At this stage you don't need to worry about replenishing your glycogen stores or anything like that.

3. I've done strength training and it's definitely improved my running. I'm not doing much right now but am doing yoga a few times a week which I think has also been beneficial.

4. As for motivation, tracking your progress can make a huge difference. When you look back and see how far you've come, you'll want to keep going! Consider signing up for a race or event so you have a goal to work toward.

Happy running!
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with tiffanyhardym.

My two cents, I am a guy, but my legs look awesome. After running for three months, three times a week I added in circuit training that included squats and lunges. I have now been running for 6 months straight and can run 3.1 Miles (5K) three times a week at a 8 Minute 30 Second per mile pace.

Read Born to Run for inspiration. Watch videos on technique and decide what kind of runner you will be (Heel strike/mid-foot strike).

Take it slow. Where appropriate foot wear for your running style.

Run as far as you can, stops and all, for 24 minutes, do not worry about distance. I stated by running away from home, than turning around and running home at a logical turn around point (street corner). Keep doing that until it becomes easy and add distance slowly.

Stretch.

Nutrition is primarily why I have lost weight, running and resistance exercise is why I am looking tight and feeling good.
  • agerman27
    agerman27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks all.

So how long do you think I should be running before I start signing up for 5Ks?
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks all.

How far can you run right now? You can sign up for one and run/walk it. Otherwise, if you're coming from a base of not running at all, I'd plan to do the 9 week Couch to 5k program and sign up for a 5k that is for the 9th or 10th week of the program.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Again, thanks all.

Build up to at least 2.5 miles before running a 5K (unless you're OK walking part of it). For me, it took me about 13 weeks to do it.

I don't "LOVE" running, but I do enjoy it - when I figured I would HATE it. It got more enjoyable once I could run farther than 5K. After 10 months though, it's still not "easy" unless I'm shooting for 3 miles or less LOL. I'm OK with that, and I certainly don't feel like I'm dying (most of the time). Right after I hit the 1 yr mark with my running I'll be doing my first half marathon.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Again, thanks all.

How far can you run right now? You can sign up for one and run/walk it. Otherwise, if you're coming from a base of not running at all, I'd plan to do the 9 week Couch to 5k program and sign up for a 5k that is for the 9th or 10th week of the program.

Yes, my C25K program was supposed to be 8 weeks, but it took me 13 to complete it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks all.

Depends on your goals for the 5k. If you want to be able to run it all or have a certain time goal, I'd wait until you can do 2.5 miles on a similar course. If you just want to participate/complete, you can probably sign up now.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

1. It gets a little easier all the time, but it's not necessarily linear, if that makes sense. Some days for whatever reason - your fuel, your hydration, your mood, the weather, may feel like a breeze and others may feel like a slog. Plus, as you begin to go farther and faster, it gets hard again before it gets easier again.

2. Not really. I agree with the poster who said it's easy to overestimate your burn especially in the early stages. At this stage you don't need to worry about replenishing your glycogen stores or anything like that.

3. I've done strength training and it's definitely improved my running. I'm not doing much right now but am doing yoga a few times a week which I think has also been beneficial.

4. As for motivation, tracking your progress can make a huge difference. When you look back and see how far you've come, you'll want to keep going! Consider signing up for a race or event so you have a goal to work toward.

Yeah. This. My only thing is that pre run, find what works for you. I cannot eat before I run. I need at least an hour, more like 2. After, I grab something light but healthy, but you'll find what works for me. I don't do yoga, but I do strength training 2-3 days and run 2-3 days and throw in classes like Body Combat too.

As for when you can sign up, I would say you could easily do one this Spring!
  • c_mihelich
    c_mihelich Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump for later !
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank OP for posting. This is a great thread. I have run in the past, but I would like to do the Couch 2 5K, and this info is very helpful.
  • es214
    es214 Posts: 41
    Options
    bump!
  • daveainsworth
    Options
    Two years ago I went from not being able to run more than two miles to marathon in six months. I was in reasonable shape beforehand, but lost about 10lbs. I think 1lb a week is very doable. More is tricky.

Be careful, though - you'll only lose around 100 calories a mile, so couple it with a controlled diet.

1. It gets easier gradually. After a couple of months you should find that it's enjoyable. The first mile may still be a little tough. But your body is built for running. You will get better. Maybe quite quickly.

2. I would say do nothing special if you're running two or three miles, but don't eat for an hour or so beforehand. As you move to longer runs, eat a big meal of pasta 2-3 hours beforehand, then just drink water after that.

I ran three days a week and did half an hour strength training twice a week. Try keeping free weights next to the TV.

Always have a target. Pick a race, pick a time, get sponsored so if you don't do it you'll let someone down.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Been a runner now about a year and a half, starting from "can't run more than a couple steps" while fat and overweight, now it is something I enjoy doing, though I'm not competitive.

1) It get easier in steps.
    - The first step is as you start to get your wind. At first it will be like doing HIIT, getting very out of breath with each run. As you start to be able to pass 1/2 mile or more sustained, you don't get nearly as winded.
    - The next level of getting easier occurs after you can mantain steady state. At some point your body will switch its fuel useage to primarily fat, beginners will notice their running getting notably more difficult (usually will happen between miles 1 and 2) as it is weaker fuel. Once you pass this point runs don't really get harder per se until you start getting tired. If you are doing a couch to 5K type program you should be able to shoot on to 5K without issue, as you won't start getting tired until about 5K.
    - The next step down in difficulty comes once every run isn't a PR anymore. Doing couch to 5K and immediately after, every single run you do will be a new personal best (or tied). Once finishing the 5K program people either typically start to go faster or longer (or both). As you go beyond your first 5K, you can go back to running a 5K just like your first (speed-wise) and it will start to seem easy. Running will start to differentiate into fast or long, you'll be able to run hard or take it easy.
    - Eventually you'll reach a point where running a 5K at your longer distance pace will be no more difficult seeming than walking the dog was when you first started out learning to run.

2) Eating before running makes me sick. I'd much rather run on an empty stomach (or water-only). Afterwards it really doesn't matter, running doesn't specifically make me hungry and I don't associate running with eating afterwards. Though often I run right before dinner.

3) Strength training is just as important as cardio fitness and should receive at least equal attention as cardio. Yoga or other balance/flexibility training is important too.

4) Motivation wasn't much of a big deal. Accomplishing goals is quite self motivating (accomplishing goals becomes a bit of an addiction, strength training big time has this effect as you have so many more goals going at any given moment).