Help me love whole wheat products!

Options
I love white bread, white tortillas, white pasta, and you get the drift. I hate the flavor and the texture of whole wheat and it's like torture trying to eat it. Are there any particular brands you like that you think taste better? I tried Sara Lee whole wheat hamburger buns last night and they were good but they seem too white to be healthy. It said it was made of whole wheat flour and said nothing about being enriched flour and it has 5g of fiber. Any brands of whole wheat tortillas you like? I know that I really need to make the switch but I swear that some of that stuff tastes absolutely nasty. I've got some Ezekiel bread in my freezer that I'm scared to try, lol, but I heard it's good if you toast it. I really want good sandwich bread and tortillas and would appreciate any input.

Replies

• Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like the Brownberry Healthnut bread. The Ezekiel bread seems like it should be really good for you but I just never warmed up to it.
  • jadenjo
    jadenjo Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to look for that. I'm assuming Brownberry is the brand name? Any particular brand of tortillas you use? Thanks so much for your thoughts.
  • jadenjo
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to look for that. I'm assuming Brownberry is the brand name? Any particular brand of tortillas you use? Thanks so much for you thoughts.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,738 Member
    Options
    I tend to think Oroweat brand whole-wheat products have the best flavor.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been eating whole wheat, whole grain, multi-grain breads for so many years now that white bread just doesn't seem like real food to me anymore. I love Ezekiel bread toasted....NUMMMM.

HOWEVER, all that being said, I'm not crazy about other whole wheat products like pasta and brown rice and WW tortillas. BUT I recently found a brand of white corn tortillas that are nummy and 2 of them are only 90 calories total. They're a local product here in MN, don't know if you can find them where you are, but maybe there's an equivalent in your area.

Oh, and I do like WW pita bread. I make my own pita chips with it and they turn out way better than the white pita bread chips.

For pasta solutions, there are some fun veggie pastas and quinoa pastas that are worth a try and I sometimes like the WW pasta options better in a cold salad type food than in a typical hot italalian meal type food.

Good luck with your quest!
    JoJo
  • drohde12
    drohde12 Posts: 22
    Options
    I love the La Tortilla Factory Whole-Wheat tortillas. The small (taco) size has 50 cals each and the large (burrito) size has 80 cals. They have tons of fiber too.

For sandwiches get the Arnold Whole Wheat Sandwich thins. They are like a thin bun that has only 100 calories.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tend to like the whole wheat products better,however the rest of my picky eating family does not agree with my tastes. When I decided to move them over to whole wheats too I started them out slow. Sandwiches with one slice white/ one slice wheat and pasta with a half and half of wheat and enriched white. Then I just slowly weeded the whites out. Helped them get used to the change and the new tastes and textures slowly.
  • MadHatR5
    MadHatR5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No sure about tortillas, but for pasta I really like "Ronzoni" Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Blend Pasta. Not a big fan of most of the wheat products I have tried.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I tend to think Oroweat brand whole-wheat products have the best flavor.

I love Oroweat too.

If you switch to whole wheat pasta I have two suggestions. 1, mix half whole wheat and half white. 2. don't cook the whole wheat as much as the white. Over cooked whole wheat pasta is just not good.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Stroehmann's bread (double fiber whole wheat) is my fav. Not sure if that's a local NE brand or not?? It's very soft and doesn't have a strong wheat flavor.

Favorite tortillas are La Banderita brand.

Just a suggestion - try to avoid "low-carb" or "reduced-carb" (or sometimes even "light) breads and tortillas... they often taste kinda cardboardish. :grumble:

I like the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta also - but I love whole wheat pasta in general. :bigsmile:
  • jadenjo
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I really do want to break the white habit and I appreciate you taking time to give suggestions. I'm off to the store! Jo
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    I LOVE Oroweat's whole wheat sandwich thins. They're 100 calories a bun and I personally think taste better than white bread.
  • atlmom
    atlmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    took me awhile to like ronzoni's whole wheat pasta, but the instructions suggest boiling 12 minutes as opposed to10 minwith reg pasta. it made a difference to me. i'm a convert.

i also like la banderita whole wheat fajita tortilla's. they taste better than some i've tried. i did like whole wheat bread previously, however.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My favorites include:

Orowheat Whole Wheat sandwich thins (for bugers, sandwiches)
    Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Whole Wheat (for toast, sandwiches)
    Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat (spaghetti, linguine, lasagna, penne, rigatoni, egg noodles...I love them ALL!)
    Minute Brown Rice --- I can't eat this by itself quite yet, I just don't care for it as much. But, I love it with some healthy Stir fry
    Mission Whole Wheat medium sized burrito-- These ones aren't as "slick" as the others, its texture is just like a regular burrito tortilla. I am in love with these right now.
    Whole Wheat Italian& Herb Lite Flat Outs-- so fun to make mini pizza's on, as well as wraps

For most of these my husband can't tell a difference, and his family grew up on white bread! The only thing he can really tell is the brown rice. But, everything else tastes just the same (to him anyways). I've been eating whole wheat since I was a kid.