is fitness pal right for me?/alli/ confused

Options
hi all i'm a bit confused as when i joined fitness pal a couple of weeks or so ago. when i put in all my personal info. it automatically told me how many cals, fat etc i should be having.. but as i take alli im meant to have the cals and fat that they recommend. so if i come on here and put what i have eaten how much fat i have had its not going to match...

Replies

• dovelette
    Options
    MFP does calculate everything for you at the beginning, however you can easily change the setting to fit your lifestyle! For example, I eat a lower carb diet, so I was able to enter the amount of carbs I wanted to eat for the day and then adjust the percentages of my protein and fat accordingly. You can do the same for the guidelines on the program you are following.

Just go to the MY HOME tab, and click on "Goals." There you will see MFPs suggestions. At the bottom of the page, there is a button to edit goals. Click on that and have fun changing the numbers!

You may choose to not follow MFPs suggestion, however it's stll a fantastic tool to keep track of all your numbers.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You can set custom goals in the settings.

Alli is not the healthiest way to go about losing weight. It is stripping the fat that your body and brain needs to function correctly.

Also, due to the fact it is blocking the fat you eat to be absorbed, don't be surprised if your hair, skin and nails become dry and brittle.

There are also reports coming out about liver damage.

Why not just do the normal plan that MFP sets? You will lose weight and be much, much healthier in the long run.

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/xenical-and-alli-liver-damage-reports-reviewed-by-fda-4106/
  • Kakellyanne
    Options

Alli is not the healthiest way to go about losing weight. It is stripping the fat that your body and brain needs to function correctly.

Also, due to the fact it is blocking the fat you eat to be absorbed, don't be surprised if your hair, skin and nails become dry and brittle.

Why not just do the normal plan that MFP sets? You will lose weight and be much, much healthier in the long run.

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/xenical-and-alli-liver-damage-reports-reviewed-by-fda-4106/

i used it before and i was fine i also take vitamin pills to make up for stuff i might loose because of alli. also it does not remove all the fat just some :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Alli will work. But in my opinion, the weight loss is unsustainable. Take it from a former Alli user. There is no shortcut to lifetime weight loss. Taking Alli just taught me how to find loopholes in the system where I could still eat garbage and not be leaking out my rear end. The only other thing it taught me is that I can, in fact, run to the bathroom and pull my pants down at the same time without tripping and falling.

Ditch the Alli, get some good information on healthy living, and dive in!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The solution is to quit the pointless weight loss pills. Then MFP will fit your goals just fine.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    And also.. My Fitness Pal is free and all you need to do is follow the guidelines given for guaranteed weight loss (and not cheating but really following) and you can even adjust fat and all that to suit your needs... as long as you are under in calories and trying to chose foods with some color... and you don't have to worry about messing your pants with orange oil if you go over for one or two days!! As a matter of fact some people here regularly have a "craving day" to eat foods that they wouldn't typically in order not to be tempted to quit all together!

There is a lot here.. add me if you want!
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    hi all i'm a bit confused as when i joined fitness pal a couple of weeks or so ago. when i put in all my personal info. it automatically told me how many cals, fat etc i should be having.. but as i take alli im meant to have the cals and fat that they recommend. so if i come on here and put what i have eaten how much fat i have had its not going to match...

Pick one and follow it. Either follow Alli's suggestions or MFP's suggestions. I think you'll have a lot less anal leakage with MFP though...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

i used it before and i was fine i also take vitamin pills to make up for stuff i might loose because of alli. also it does not remove all the fat just some :)

If you were fine, then why are trying to lose weight again and using the same thing as before?

Just curious? If it worked so well, then you should have kept the weight off.

I would not risk my health and well being (especially at the risk of liver function) for some weight loss pill that your going to take, it removes more fat than they tell you (which affects body and brain functionality).

Vitamins do not help when your removing the fat from your body and there are vitamins and minerals that are ONLY fat soluable, which means your body isn't absorbing the crucial vitamins and minerals necessary.

If your looking for merely weight loss and not worrying about your health and well being, then I wish you well, but I feel for you.

Your in a bad place mind set wise and you will continue this cycle indefinitely until you make some mental mindset shifts.

Others that have posted have offered GREAT suggestions.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

By this logic, you wouldn't recommend smokers quit unless they get cancer, emphysema or copd? Or heavy drinkers who haven't got cirrhosis, or liver or esophageal cancer? Nice. By the time it does do liver damage, you're screwed.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Pick one and follow it. Either follow Alli's suggestions or MFP's suggestions. I think you'll have a lot less anal leakage with MFP though...

I almost drowned just now. Snorted water in and out my nose at that one!
  • Kakellyanne
    Options

If you were fine, then why are trying to lose weight again and using the same thing as before?

I would not risk my health and well being (especially at the risk of liver function) for some weight loss pill that your going to take, it removes more fat than they tell you (which affects body and brain functionality).

Vitamins do not help when your removing the fat from your body and there are vitamins and minerals that are ONLY fat soluable, which means your body isn't absorbing the crucial vitamins and minerals necessary.

If your looking for merely weight loss and not worrying about your health and well being, then I wish you well, but I feel for you.

Your in a bad place mind set wise and you will continue this cycle indefinitely until you make some mental mindset shifts.

I loat 3 stone with alli before. but then i got pregnant again and used it as an excuse to eat rubbish. i take the vitamins at night time so it gets a chance to get into the body....
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The only other thing it taught me is that I can, in fact, run to the bathroom and pull my pants down at the same time without tripping and falling.

:laugh: Who knows, that could be useful someday!
  • Kakellyanne
    Options

lol :) im lucky not to get any leakage which must mean i'm using the pills in the right way
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Stop using the darned drug.
    Use MFP to help you.

There is no quick fix. NONE.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I loat 3 stone with alli before. but then i got pregnant again and used it as an excuse to eat rubbish. i take the vitamins at night time so it gets a chance to get into the body....

Whatever floats your boat. Everyone that has posted is trying to help you. You don't know what that pill is doing to your organs in the long term. It sounds like you have small children, so I would want to be healthy for them.

Are you aware that if your Vitamin has Vitamins A, D, E and K that they must be taken with some fat or they will NOT be absorbed.

So your taking a multi-vitamin for nothing. If you don't believe me, research it.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Do you want your children to grow up watching mommy take pills to keep the weight off or eating healthy foods with good portion sizes and eating junky foods in moderation?

Your children's health will be better if they learn to eat the right way in the first place.
  • Kakellyanne
    Options

Whatever floats your boat. Everyone that has posted is trying to help you. You don't know what that pill is doing to your organs in the long term. It sounds like you have small children, so I would want to be healthy for them.

Are you aware that if your Vitamin has Vitamins A, D, E and K that they must be taken with some fat or they will NOT be absorbed.

So your taking a multi-vitamin for nothing. If you don't believe me, research it.

Well it is my choice what i choose to do.. the same as people who smoke or drink.... I also did not ask if i should stop using alli i just wanted to know if/how i can use mfp whilst using alli.
  • Kakellyanne
    Options
    Do you want your children to grow up watching mommy take pills to keep the weight off or eating healthy foods with good portion sizes and eating junky foods in moderation?

Your children's health will be better if they learn to eat the right way in the first place.

my children dont see my take tablets and they do eat healthy its me who was eating badly.... really bad
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

my children dont see my take tablets and they do eat healthy its me who was eating badly.... really bad

Maybe they haven't yet, but they will. And at some point they will question why they can't eat just like you. You need to make lifestyle changes to be a good role model for your children's future health. You don't want them to be in the situation you're in now, right? It's up to you to lead by example.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Well it is my choice what i choose to do.. the same as people who smoke or drink.... I also did not ask if i should stop using alli i just wanted to know if/how i can use mfp whilst using alli.

I really wish you all the luck in the world and pray that you are spared from damaging your liver. People are suing the company that makes this drug and asking the FDA to take it off the shelf and ban it because it is very damaging.

I hate to see such hard headed people that are damaging their bodies and they don't care all in the name of temporary weight loss.

I hope you are prepared to stay on this stuff for life because that is what you have set up to happen. Yo-yo back and forth being off and on this dreadful drug.