Dr. Ian Smith "Shred" book

Options
Thinking about buying and trying his 6-week program. Anyone out there doing it now?

Replies

• lallder
    lallder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bought the book a few days ago and can't wait to start it. I'm planning on starting next Monday.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I saw the doctor on the Dr. Oz show and I want to check it out, but I've committed myslelft to another food plan for 3 months. So I'm gonna watch out for your two to see how your progress is going!
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I saw Dr. Smith on CBS Saturday Morning Show and was very interested. I was going to post myself, then I saw yours. I hope you get some responses from folks who have tried it.
  • calgalno7
    calgalno7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Saw him on Dr Oz, downloaded the book on my Kindle same day of the show, and started the program today.
  • catruff
    catruff Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, I started Sunday. The first week is called PRIME and it hasn't been too hard so far. I think the most difficult is the timing. You have 3-4 meals a day and 3 snacks. The meals must be eaten within 3-4 hours of each other. Snacks b/w. It almost feels like you are eating all of the time. None of the food is difficult to find...so I think it is pretty easy. I haven't weighed as you only do so 1 day a week so this Sunday, I can report on my 1st week. I only have b/w10-15 to lose and he says in that case the 1st week on there may not be much loss. I do feel good and I haven't really felt hungry.

Any other questions, I am happy to answer.
    :smile:
  • jkerm
    jkerm Posts: 1
    Options
    I just recently saw him on a show, not Dr Oz and talked about this book. Maybe it was Anderson Cooper or something like that. I was thinking about getting it, but it was all sold out at Barnes and Noble. I am curious to see how it all goes. Best of luck!!
  • catruff
    catruff Posts: 10
    Options
    So Week 1 went well, but I did have some cheats. I lost 1.5 lbs, but not surprised that it isn't more. I had chips and salsa one day with my lunch and then the kid bought those Valentine message sweet hearts which are a candy weekness. I also drank more and more often that the plan allows. That being said, I knew that this week was just a prime week to get me used to eating more frequently and eating more healthy foods. I am excited for week 2 but will be in LA one of the days seeing college roomies. Will try to do my best to stay on program but the timing maybe off.
    All and all, I think this is a doable program.....will let you know next Sunday how week 2 goes.
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is there certain food that you need to eat? I eat pretty healthy, but sometimes with a change of diet, you need to get specific items. How is the 'diet food" for Shred? No counting calories either?
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I found out about the Diet through a co-worker. I looked him up and saw him on Dr OZ and thought the diet fit me. I’ve been stuck on a seesaw for a while between 250 and 240. I just started less than a week ago, I’ve been sneaking weigh-ins I’m not going to speak of it till this Week 1 is over for me. So far I like it. He recommends eating every 3 to 4 hrs but the sample schedule is more frequent than that during the 1st part of the day. But I’m sure that you can use the timing and suit it to your schedule, since the diet is very customizable and forgiving. What I do like is that that even on low calorie days I’m not starving since you are pretty much grazing, I say grazing because until Meal 3 you’re eating small portions.

Meal 1 8:30 AM
    Snack 1 10:00 AM
    Meal 2 11:30 AM
    Snack 2 1:00 PM
    Meal 3 3:30 PM
    Meal 4 7:00 PM
    Snack 3 8:30 PM

Here are some points that I took from the book, I hope this helps anyone considering.

*Dr’s Ian Shred Program is based off of Meal Spacing and Diet and Muscle Confusion. You are advised not to eat and do the same exercises every day. If you ate a bowl of cereal Day 1 don’t eat cereal day 2. If you walked Day 1 don’t walk day 2 try a different exercise.
    *Clean eating is recommended, stay away from junk but unlike alot of diets, drinking is allowed
    *Timing is critical to the success of this plan. It might be difficult at first, but plan in advance and do the best you can. Skipping meals is not advised. Even if you eat just a small portion, try to eat something on schedule.
    *You must eat something every 3 to 4 hours even if you’re not hungry, but don’t stuff yourself. Eat until you’re no longer hungry, but don’t eat until you’re full. If you need less than what’s recommended, then great, go ahead and eat less, which is even better.
    *You don’t have to eat all of the food on the day’s menu if you don’t want to, but no skipping meals, no doubling up on meals, and no exceeding the meal guidelines in size and volume. Condiments like ketchup, mayo, and mustard are allowed, but no more than a teaspoon
    *You must consume 1 cup of water before eating a meal; you must consume 1 cup of water during your meal.
    *Weigh yourself in the morning before starting the program and record it. Don’t weigh yourself throughout the week. Your
    *Five out of the seven days you must do cardiovascular exercise, commonly called cardio.
    *Be smart in your snack choices. Avoid chips and doughnuts and candy; you can have them some of the time, but don’t eat them often. If you must have something like these items, make it only one of your snacks for the day and use healthier options for the other snacks.

SHRED WEEK 1, DAY 1 NOTE 1 cup of coffee is allowed each day. Please put minimal amounts sugar and milk in the coffee. Definitely stay away from those coffee concoctions that are full of calories— caramel macchiato, cinnamon dolce latte, caffe latte, etc. If you choose diet soda as your beverage, you are only allowed to have one 12-ounce can per day maximum. Try to choose beverages that are more nutritious. Two slices of 100-percent whole-grain or 100-percent whole-wheat bread can be consumed at any point throughout the day at any time; however, only 2 slices.

MEAL 1
    • 1 piece of fruit
    • Choose one of the following:
    1 small bowl of oatmeal (1 ½ cups cooked)
    2 egg whites or 1 egg-white omelet with diced veggies (made with 2 egg whites max)
    1 small bowl of sugar-free cereal with fat-free, skim, or 1-percent fat milk
    1 container of low-fat or fat-free yogurt
    • 1 cup of fresh juice not from concentrate (grapefruit, apple, orange juice, tomato, carrot)

SNACK 1
    • 100 calories or less its pretty open but the book does give you examples

MEAL 2 •
    Choose one of the following.
    Your choice must not exceed 300 calories and must not have any added sugars.
    1 fruit smoothie
    1 protein shake
    1 bowl of soup (no potatoes, no cream, no meat).
    Good choices are vegetable, lentil, chickpea, split pea, black bean, tomato bisque, etc. Be careful of sodium content!
    • 1 piece of fruit or 1 serving of veggies
    • Choose one of the following beverages: One 12-ounce can of diet soda 1 cup of lemonade (freshly squeezed preferred) Unlimited plain water (flat or fizzy) 1 cup of flavored water 1 cup of juice (not from concentrate) 1 cup of unsweetened iced tea or any other type of tea

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Another note, I really haven't been following everything and since this is week 1 that's not really expected but the better the are maybe the better the results but I've seen people on Facebook report the followed to the letter and lost nothing and hey unfortunately that true of most diets, Everything is not for Everybody

I post my results when my week 1 is over
  • CoachJessicaT
    CoachJessicaT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 1 Day 2. I think this diet plan is easy to follow and so far I am doing great.
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump... just some this on Steve Harvey show and curious about it
  • cherrylf
    cherrylf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i am on day 2 of week 1. I am having issues getting all the food in. Anyone know if this will prevent from loosing.
  • Qsuzy1
    Qsuzy1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 Day 3 of the program. It's actually really easy to follow. I haven't been hungry at all except at night a few times. And then I usually have some popcorn for a snack for an easy 120 calorie snack or a beer to bump up my calories.

The average number of calories for this diet is a lot lower than what is recommended if you follow eating somewhere between your BMR and TDEE. My husband is doing this as well. He is definitely having to up his calorie intake compared to what I'm eating. He can tell that the lack of calories is taking a toll on his cardio & lifting days. Very slugish and tired way before he should be.

I've lost 3 lbs so far but I can tell a difference in the way my clothes are fitting. That is a good thing.

One thing about this weeks menu is there is a lot of fruit and protein shakes (which is fine) but also a lot of soup. I'm having a problem with all the soup... I like soup, but for 2 meals a day... ugh... and even with the reduced sodium it's still way too much sodium in my eyes. Menu just seems really processed this week. The hubs and I are really looking forward to our 5oz of meat for dinner tomorrow night. haha Instead of all the soup, I would have rather eaten salads all week.

It's all about making better choices and getting food in your system so you aren't hungry. The program is fairly easy to follow. You have to make it work for you. If it doesn't work for you and is not easy, you aren't going to stick with it. Having meal 3 at 3:30pm... doesn't work for me. I'm not about to make a full on meal at work when I leave here at 4 or 4:15 then go to the gym. But I do eat something at 3:30... be it plain greek yogurt with fresh berries or half an english muffin with a tbsp of peanut butter. By eating something before going to the gym, when I get home I don't eat everything in site.

Sorry... I'll stop rambling now. Hope this helps a little.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    *Dr’s Ian Shred Program is based off of Meal Spacing and Diet and Muscle Confusion. You are advised not to eat and do the same exercises every day. If you ate a bowl of cereal Day 1 don’t eat cereal day 2. If you walked Day 1 don’t walk day 2 try a different exercise.
    *Clean eating is recommended, stay away from junk but unlike alot of diets, drinking is allowed
    *Timing is critical to the success of this plan. It might be difficult at first, but plan in advance and do the best you can. Skipping meals is not advised. Even if you eat just a small portion, try to eat something on schedule.
    *You must eat something every 3 to 4 hours even if you’re not hungry, but don’t stuff yourself. Eat until you’re no longer hungry, but don’t eat until you’re full. If you need less than what’s recommended, then great, go ahead and eat less, which is even better.

*You don’t have to eat all of the food on the day’s menu if you don’t want to, but no skipping meals, no doubling up on meals, and no exceeding the meal guidelines in size and volume. Condiments like ketchup, mayo, and mustard are allowed, but no more than a teaspoon
    *You must consume 1 cup of water before eating a meal; you must consume 1 cup of water during your meal.
    *Weigh yourself in the morning before starting the program and record it. Don’t weigh yourself throughout the week. Your
    *Five out of the seven days you must do cardiovascular exercise, commonly called cardio.
    *Be smart in your snack choices. Avoid chips and doughnuts and candy; you can have them some of the time, but don’t eat them often. If you must have something like these items, make it only one of your snacks for the day and use healthier options for the other snacks.

LMAO, no wonder he was on Dr Oz, takes a BSer to know one?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 Day 3 of the program. It's actually really easy to follow. I haven't been hungry at all except at night a few times. And then I usually have some popcorn for a snack for an easy 120 calorie snack or a beer to bump up my calories.

The average number of calories for this diet is a lot lower than what is recommended if you follow eating somewhere between your BMR and TDEE. My husband is doing this as well. He is definitely having to up his calorie intake compared to what I'm eating. He can tell that the lack of calories is taking a toll on his cardio & lifting days. Very slugish and tired way before he should be.

I've lost 3 lbs so far but I can tell a difference in the way my clothes are fitting. That is a good thing.

One thing about this weeks menu is there is a lot of fruit and protein shakes (which is fine) but also a lot of soup. I'm having a problem with all the soup... I like soup, but for 2 meals a day... ugh... and even with the reduced sodium it's still way too much sodium in my eyes. Menu just seems really processed this week. The hubs and I are really looking forward to our 5oz of meat for dinner tomorrow night. haha Instead of all the soup, I would have rather eaten salads all week.

It's all about making better choices and getting food in your system so you aren't hungry. The program is fairly easy to follow. You have to make it work for you. If it doesn't work for you and is not easy, you aren't going to stick with it. Having meal 3 at 3:30pm... doesn't work for me. I'm not about to make a full on meal at work when I leave here at 4 or 4:15 then go to the gym. But I do eat something at 3:30... be it plain greek yogurt with fresh berries or half an english muffin with a tbsp of peanut butter. By eating something before going to the gym, when I get home I don't eat everything in site.

Sorry... I'll stop rambling now. Hope this helps a little.

Thank you for all the information... I think it may be a good program for me to follow while I am recovering from knee arthroscopy and not as active as I normally am.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    He was on The Doctors yesterday.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I heard it works really good. I know when I was on dr oz's site watching that on his website I saw a facebook group with those doing the shred. I think its called shredders support group or something like that. you might want to order it and start a shred support group here for anyone who wants to do it. I would say go for it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    LOL anyone preaching "muscle confusion" should be immediately disregarded.