I feel like a horrible person for thinking this!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    That can be rough. Dealing with friends like yours is a lot like dealing with an alcoholic or drug addict who knows what they are doing isn't good for them, but have all sorts of reasons why they can't change. (In fact, going to Al Anon to deal with my ex's addiction issues is what helped me finally start losing weight.) Ultimately there's nothing you can do for them other than to set an example and hope that you can somehow inspire them to finally take a chance.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The Title of this post reminds me of a quote from Spanglish where the mother tells the daughter

"Honey, lately your low self-esteem is just good common sense"...just sayin'.

Try to be nicer. They are venting when saying they need to work out and putting a fudge cupcake in their mouth, they are working up to the change and harshing on them isn't gonna help them get motivated or on track any faster. Some people have to talk things out to work things out just let them.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I run in to people like this all the time, and it's hard to keep my mouth shut. I'm also related to some people who I wish would just give it a try! But they won't. I've asked them repeatedly to come try one of my zumba classes, and they won't even try it! They don't have the information they need to lose the weight, and they don't want it! They probably feel like it's impossible, or that they just can't do it. They probably feel hopeless, and have acquired these bad habits, that are just too difficult to let go. I work on a cardiac unit, and I hear the doctors, and myself telling people that if they don't quit smoking, they'll have another heart attack, and may not be as fortunate to survive the next one, but what happens? They end up right back on the unit, and say they couldn't quit smoking, or, on occasion, they go home, light up, and fall out right then and there. Everyone has some nasty little habit, that they just can't break. For someone who has 100+ pounds to lose, I can see how that would feel impossible. Some people feel like their life is just not worth the battle to lose the weight. Maybe they have no family, or something/someone to live FOR. IDK. All we can do is thank our lucky stars, that we're not at that point in our lives right now. I for one have been fat all my life, until about a year ago, and I would hate myself if it happened, but it's so easy to go back to old habits. It's what we know, it's what feels good, until we hit rock bottom, then it doesn't feel so good. For many, food is like a drug, and if you've ever seen a drug addict, you know how hard it is to break that habit.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The Title of this post reminds me of a quote from Spanglish where the mother tells the daughter

"Honey, lately your low self-esteem is just good common sense"...just sayin'.

Try to be nicer. They are venting when saying they need to work out and putting a fudge cupcake in their mouth, they are working up to the change and harshing on them isn't gonna help them get motivated or on track any faster. Some people have to talk things out to work things out just let them.

Great point! When I was overweight, I would feel guilty eating fattening foods in front of my "skinny" friends, and would say something like, "man I need to go on a diet!" Mostly because I felt insecure, and saying that kind of made me feel less guilty, like yeah, I know I shouldn't be eating this, and yeah, I know I need to go on a diet, and yeah, I know that's what you're thinking, while sitting there watching me eat this! Lol
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think you should have a little more compassion for your so called "friend". If you think its frustrating to see it, think about how frustrated he must be at himself for probably feeling like he ACTUALLY COULDN'T pass up that chocolate muffin. Maybe the fact that his health is so poor eats at him so much that that chocolate muffin is the only thing he thinks will make him feel better in that moment? I suggest you watch Hungry for Change if you haven't seen it already, which discusses in detail how addicted we are to sugar, which is in EVERYTHING.

I would also suggest you look into food addiction and try to be more understanding of your friend's situation. Below is the link to a woman's blog who describes her deadly relationship with food. Maybe reading it will help you have a bit more compassion for your friend. At the end of the day, your friend needs a friend that will BE his friend....Be compassionate....And help him...Not rant about him and how lazy he is on a fitness website. I'm sure everything you just said about him he probable says to himself all day every day. No need for anyone else to do so as well.

http://www.300poundsdown.com/2012/11/fatal-attraction.html

Maybe you didn't notice, but I'm eating disordered. This means I AM a food addict. So don't tell me I don't understand. I understand. And I wish to God I could eat the crap that these people do without having a panic attack about it and going to work out for hours on end to cope with it.
  • danaelizas
    danaelizas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you should have a little more compassion for your so called "friend". If you think its frustrating to see it, think about how frustrated he must be at himself for probably feeling like he ACTUALLY COULDN'T pass up that chocolate muffin. Maybe the fact that his health is so poor eats at him so much that that chocolate muffin is the only thing he thinks will make him feel better in that moment? I suggest you watch Hungry for Change if you haven't seen it already, which discusses in detail how addicted we are to sugar, which is in EVERYTHING.

I would also suggest you look into food addiction and try to be more understanding of your friend's situation. Below is the link to a woman's blog who describes her deadly relationship with food. Maybe reading it will help you have a bit more compassion for your friend. At the end of the day, your friend needs a friend that will BE his friend....Be compassionate....And help him...Not rant about him and how lazy he is on a fitness website. I'm sure everything you just said about him he probable says to himself all day every day. No need for anyone else to do so as well.

http://www.300poundsdown.com/2012/11/fatal-attraction.html

Exactly what I was thinking...Everyone is so quick to judge instead of offering suggestions or finding solutions...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I understand at least some of your frustration. The BF has been complaining for years about wanting to lose weight but did not do a damn thing at all. I eventually had to shut my own mouth, too, as I put on 40+ pounds in 10 months - and it took that entire 10 months of being unhappy with it before I did anything about it. But I remember, for my previous smaller times, being SO FRUSTRATED with his complaining.

He now is making an effort of some sort by doing a couple hours of cardio a week. That is also sometimes frustrating, as he refuses to look at what he is eating and then complains that the weight's not coming off as fast as it is for me. But I've figured out that continually outlaying what I do will only chase him off doing anything healthy at all.

It's a thin line we walk.

As per the first set of people you saw in the cafe - that would probably horrify me some, too. We all take our time in deciding to change, but sometimes it's so frustrating, especially when people seem to have at least some of the information in front of them.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    I think a lot of people have to wait for the moment to click in before they make any significant change.

I knew I was living large and wanted to change but didn't put the effort into it, kept saying "I'll start tomorrow" and then tomorrow would be the next day, etc.

The changing day in my life was being told I had cancer and the cancer is feeding off my fat (well, the estrogen being created in my body from my fat). Hello wake up call!!! I was 36.

That was 6 months ago, I am down just over 90lbs with a heck of a lot more to go. I plan on starving these cancer cells to death. (I am on a medically supervised diet, not literally starving myself.) I'm just not going to give the cancer a chance to grow and spread.

I feel bad for people that can't get moving in the right direction (but I will say, I am surprised with your friend and the pacemaker. How scary is that to not drop those 50 immediately).

The best thing my cancer doctor recommended was seeing a nutritionist for some help. I wish I did this years ago, may have prevented developing my cancer in the first place. Who knew being fat can give you cancer in some cases?