Experimenting with Vegetarianism

Options
So, as a personal challenge and to really just see how my body feels and reacts, I've decided to not eat meat for 6 months. DISCLAIMER: I LOVE burgers and steak and all that....just trying a challenge.

So far so good, but it has been challenging to get in enough protein. I already have a protein shake post workout, eggs/eggwhites greek yogurt, and almonds just about every day. My main source of protein used to be having chicken and/or turkey and/or fish usually twice a day.

Any non-meat suggestions for upping my protein?

Replies

• speedgoose
    Options
    Bump my own post?

Insert 'forever alone' meme here.
  • GroveGirl1905
    Options
    My boyfriend is a vegetarian and eats eggs, nuts and soy. He's very careful about what he eats (no processed food, white flour or sugar either). He's a big believer in trying things out, listening to your body and doing what works for you. He always says that being a vegetarian isn't for everyone just like eating meat isn't for everyone. Good luck with your challenge but if you find it's not a fit for you, don't feel bad!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Are you having the full three servings of dairy per day for calcium, protein and B12? There are plenty of nuts and seeds other than almonds, have a variety for the protein, minerals, short chain omega-3s and so on. Other options include Quorn, dehydrated soya 'meat', tofu, wheatgerm, no added salt yeast extract. Don't forget to include a DHA/ EPA (long chain omega-3) marine algae supplement. These can be pricey to get a decent dose so you may also wish to switch to omega-enriched eggs and add in chia or ground flaxseeds as well.
  • speedgoose
    Options
    Thanks for the information.

I will look into the stuff you suggested!!
  • MelC2013
    Options
    How great. I tried being a vegetarian, and it was great. I easily maintained my weight. On new year's I switched to an all vegan diet, and have lost 15 pounds. I think anytime you can limit animal sources from your diet, you are moving in the right direction. Keep it up!

I like bulgur wheat (which is a great alternative to rice), most soy products, legumes, etc. I haven't had a problem with protein at all. However, MFP is great in helping monitor your iron intake. So, do keep an eye on that as well! Best of luck to you.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Beans, peas, veggies. Heck,,on a calorie basis (e.g. 100 calories of broccoli and 100 calories of steak), broccoli has more protein. Romaine lettuce has a good amount of protein.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Beans, Nuts, Quinoa, Peanut butter << great protien sources
  • prannyhamster
    prannyhamster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can put red split lentils in soups stews, etc and it just cooks down until you can't tell it's there. Houmous, dahl, lentil salads, bean chillies and stews are all ways I get protein without animals.
  • speedgoose
    Options
    Awesome input everybody. Thank you!
  • monkeybuddha
    monkeybuddha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a great source of protein and if you have it along with some nuts/pulses/dairy in a meal you should have a pretty high protein meal. Chia seeds are fantastic too, I usually just make a chia pudding or throw some in a smoothie.
  • btrippin
    btrippin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vegetables like spinach, broccoli, asparagus and green beans have a lot of protein. Also rice and beans, quinoa, and tempeh are good options. You could use a protein drink to supplement your protein intake if you wanted, but you really don't need all that much protein in your diet unless you are doing heavy resistance training.