one unhealthy meal

Options
I had one really bad fast food chicken meal today after eating so healthy all week.
It's really bothering me now, I hope this does not mess me up on loosing weight.
How many of you have slipped and how do you over come this?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't label food as good or bad
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week... don't count the calories in it, and enjoy every bite! Seems to be working great for me so far.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    1 meal won't do anything to you BUT if you keep on doing 1 meal unhealthy then yes it will! So start fresh tomorrow and ur good to go. There is NO WAY in hell that this 1 meal screwed you up!
  • KupCake0720
    Options
    Thanks guys because I was over here stressing when I looked up my meal on MFP and it was 900 calories! never again!
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on eating this way for the rest of my life so I don't "slip". I choose to eat something that's higher in carbs/fat/sugar if that's what I want and I log it and work the rest of my meals around it and sometimes I'll choose to work out extra hard that day or I'll just move on. You can't beat yourself up for eating something you enjoy - you can either make the choice to eat that again tomorro or 2 months from now or never again, it's totally up to you :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    never again!

Said by many, successfully carried out by few.

Might want to focus on moderation and not kick yourself on something that, in the grand scheme of things, amounts to at MOST a 1/4 of a pound of bodyfat.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    one meal how often??? if it's just one out of the week, or month even, it's NOT going to be nearly as devastating as you might think...especially if you are under on your calories most days. Remember how you feel right now the next time you think about overindulging...who knows? it might mean you only eat 2/3 of it next time! and 1/2 the next time...I am finding that everytime I eat a not-so-healthy meal I am more and more able to control the portions. It only comes with time...like everything else practice-practice-practice and one day it will be second nature.
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've done this and I think it's okay to indulge a little once in a while. If the calories seemed to be over the charts, work out harder the next day and eat like you would to get back on track :) It is hard to consistently be diligent on eating right, but in reality moderation is key to our diets.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't label food as good or bad
    yup. eat. enjoy. hit your macro's, stay in your cals or even excessed them sometimes (it wont hurt your weight loss as long dont do it often
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    No big deal. Learn from it and move on. Even if you end up eating from the same fast food place again, next time you'll know to look things up first and be informed to make smarter choices
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Food is neither inherently good nor bad. Over indulgence and under nourishment are bad...moderation is good. Unless you've eaten to a maintenance level TDEE and strapped on an additional 3,500 calories on top of that, it is mathematically impossible to gain 1 Lb of fat from that meal or even in a day.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    one bad meal (let alone one bad DAY) will be the end of the world. don't let it get you down!
  • TheUnthinkingMajority
    Options
    i went to texas roadhouse the other day. right when we got there, the rolls were tempting me. big time.
    i ate 3, and then i decided to look it up on here. i was already at 600+ calories just from those 3 rolls.
    i ordered a chicken mushroom sandwich, and somehow i didnt go over my limit.
    just goes to show that you can have really good "bad" food, but still be okay.

even if you go over your limit, its one time.
    your not a failure, but a work in progress.
    good luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I cant do cheat days because recovery takes too long. I dont limit on special occassions though. You just have to move foward and think that OK I f'ed up isnt the first time and probably wont be the last time to move on. Luckily this fitness thing is a lifetime battle so every single friggin' day that you are alive you get to do better and move a little more. So if God will you get to live to 100 because you lived the most healhiest lifestyle you could then if you screwed up on a few little meals but for the most part tried to eat the most nutrient dense foods then I would say you were doing pretty good. Keep moving foward, one day at a time, one meal at a time, one minute at a time.
  • brajorie
    brajorie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think even if it's a cheat day you still need to make good choices, so looking at the calorie intake is still a good idea, this way it opens your eyes a bit and maybe changes your mind to order something that could be a bit less, even if its by 100 calories. Cheat days do help us keep our sanity, just justify it by working twice as hard that or the next day. I keep frozen spinach and cheese pizzas in my freezer for my cheat days, this way If Ieat half a pizza and its 400 calories as opposed to half a fast food pizza which would be over 1,000. I also keep Bison burgers in my freezer, the meat is lean and is 250 calories per patty, it really hits the spot when i'm craving a McDonalds burger :)