REALLY Struggling to Hit Daily Calories

Options
Hey all,

I need some ideas for foods that I can eat to get my calorie count up.

Right now, I burn roughly 500 - 650 calories a day in exercise (depending on how much cardio I do vs. weight training). I currently try to only eat back 1/2 those calories, just so I can see how my body reacts and to account for any errors in how accurate my exercise and food calorie counts really are.

However, today, for example, I have all my meals planned out and I am not even hitting the minimum 1,200 calories, much less the exercise calories on top of that. I know this is a problem.

I don't want to start eating junk food to make up the calories...so what healthy options does everyone eat to get their calorie count up in a productive way, rather than a destructive way?

I'll take any and all suggestions so I can incorporate them into my meal plans.

Thanks~!

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    This always baffles me. You were eating more than 1200 calories a day in order to gain the weight so why the struggle now? Up the portion sizes, add a tablespoon of peanut butter or some grated cheese.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well, eat calorie dense foods of course. Peanut butter, avocado are good. If you've been cooking with low fat things, change them to full fat versions. Cheese also packs a lot of calories.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours, three servings of reduced fat dairy, lean protein at each meal and snack including oily fish regularly, healthy fats little and often (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, cocoa), plenty of mineral/ fibre rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils) ... which of these are you not having or not having enough of? Which macros do you feel you are low on? Remember MFP protein, fibre and fats are minimums not necessarily optimal.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this would baffle you? Previously I hit more than 1,200 calories very easily by eating various junk, which is what helped me GAIN WEIGHT, of course. Now that I am trying to eat healthier and exercise, it is harder to hit my calorie count because I am no longer eating junk food, and healthier options tend to have less calories.

I will take into account eating nut butters, thank you.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know when I changed from processed, high calorie junk to health, homemade and fresh foods I felt full before getting near my calorie goal too. I'd say don't worry too much because you will adapt to it, but whole grains and legumes are now the basis for my meals.
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Almonds, any lean protein, a piece of fruit. Eat something whole, natural and full of vitamins (Vitamin c especially, like in an orange, to help your immune system during this flu season.)
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours, three servings of reduced fat dairy, lean protein at each meal and snack including oily fish regularly, healthy fats little and often (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, cocoa), plenty of mineral/ fibre rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils) ... which of these are you not having or not having enough of? Which macros do you feel you are low on? Remember MFP protein, fibre and fats are minimums not necessarily optimal.

I just made my diary public. If you care to look, I would appreciate feedback. I haven't hit any of my goals today yet, calories or macros, etc. I know I need to eat higher/more calorie dense foods...was looking for suggestions on what others eat.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Snacks!

100 calorie cocoa almond packs
    150 calorie sabre hummus cups
    35 calories worth of carrots
    105 calories medium banana

That is 285 pretty healthy calories there :)
  • ShakeyMD
    ShakeyMD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I often have trouble eating the amount of calories as well...I'm really not a "hungry" person. I don't eat large quantities, just processed and fast food. Sounds like you. So when I eat healthy, I have trouble getting enough calories. I've started adding in whole almonds, avocado, a little peanut butter here or there.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend woman. For real. I eat a **** ton of food on my gym days - where I burn anywhere between 500 and 700 calories. Don't be afraid to eat more snacks or get a little more creative with your cooking.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Diary products, like some milk with breakfast in the morning.....more lean protien (like at lunch), veggies with your dinner, greek yogurt as a snack, cottage cheese and some fruit as a snack, hummus with veggies as a snack......

So many ways....
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Eat everything full-fat and you should be just fine.

You need dietary fat for your health, and full-fat milk, cheeses, nut butters, etc. should get you up and over that goal pretty quickly.

Also, that amount of exercise you are doing seems excessive. You are almost certainly putting too much stress on your body by over-exertion.

You should get the majority of your deficit from your food. In other words, up your calorie goal and work out a little less. Have you figured out your TDEE and BMR? If not, that is step number on in determining how many calories you should even be aiming for right now.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem! I'd throw in more at breakfast definitely. Choose skim milk or almond milk for nutrition and add some banana to your oatmeal. Tablespoon of peanut or almond butter on an apple or whole wheat bread for a snack. Yogurt low fat is good as well. A protein shake, hummus. Green veggies with a little cheese and nuts for dinner would add some good calories. Additional lean protein in your meals -- just a bit more than what you are eating would help.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're making healthier choices. Looking at your diary, my thought would be to bulk up your existing meals. Double your morning oatmeal or add some scrambled eggs for added protein. Same thing with your dinner....eat a larger piece of chicken, a larger portion of wild rice, and add a vegetable (or two!). Still not hitting macros? Add a tablespoon of peanut butter to your banana or apple.
  • candy102389
    Options
    nuts! I usually buy planters prepackaged ones and they have somewhere between 200-300 calories eat 2 packages.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    nuts, nut butters, dairy. specifically milk and or cottage cheese. great protein sources.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sautee the chicken in olive oil and throw some avocado slices on it! Your fats are low, no worries there. Also, eat a cup of rice, not a half cup since your carbs are so low. Are you actually measuring food accurately or just guessing? A 4 oz chicken breast and half a cup of rice is going to look like very little food on your plate.

For snacks, especially on exercise days, I have yogurt, bananas, PB&J, clif bars, or drink a glass of milk.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    What are some of your favorite foods? What kinds of things did you really enjoy before you started to diet? Put some of those back into your day. Having no appetite is not a good sign; let yourself enjoy your food and you will be happier keeping up this lifestyle!

ps. My solutions are usually:
    Peanut butter w flax seeds/splenda/cinnamon
    Protein shakes -- good dessert-y ones are all over my diary
    Pan roasted pecans in olive oil, sprinkle w splenda/cinnamon
    Yogurt with whipped cream on top
    Oranges, Bananas
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I find that Pure Protein bats are a good high calorie item. About 200 calories each, with 18 protein.
  • Alford96
    Options
    I just ate 2 multi grain Wasa Breads with 3 tbsp of Sabra Spinach Artichoke Hummus-190 calories of good stuff. You could also try using real butter, there's always the nut butters, if you have the calories to spare (which I usually don't) you can eat almonds or some other type of nut. You could also try eggs, maybe. Cheese would also be a good option-cheese goes with just about everything if you ask me (actually, right now, I can't think of anything that cheese doesn't go with)

I think I hear my cheese stick calling me...:laugh: