caloris vs carbs

Options
which is more important ? I mean sometimes it happens i stay in my calories but i've had too much carbs (more than mfp recommends) is it bad?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Count your calories. If you go over on your carbs, it won't be the end of the world.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    which is more important ? I mean sometimes it happens i stay in my calories but i've had too much carbs (more than mfp recommends) is it bad?

Do you have a medical disorder or intolerance that would require you to limit your carbs?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Carbs are important for brain function.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Depends on your goals, health status, medication, exercise habits and any number of other things.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your goals are. If you just want to lose weight stick with watching calories. If you're like me trying to retain / build muscle while losing weight the proportional amount of protein I consume is going to be higher than what MFP recommends.

I think MFP realizes that most people while losing weight are going to do moderate exercise or cardio a lot, which carbs provide energy for... but for the lifters in the group the protein amount is lackluster.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Calories. When you surplus, you will gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Amb_er100
    Amb_er100 Posts: 104
    Options
    nope
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    calories, however don't go too far over on your carb limit
  • Calories that go unused become fat stores, which are detrimental to weight loss. However, carbs store water - one gram of carbohydrate stores three grams of water. Calories are more important. Just drink lots of water and it'll prevent retention and bloat. You'll be fine. Good luck!
  • Amb_er100
    Amb_er100 Posts: 104
    Options

Do you have a medical disorder or intolerance that would require you to limit your carbs?

nope
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    calories are what determines your weight...whether you lose, maintain, or gain. Managing your macro nutrients can be beneficial for any number of reasons, but isn't in anyway necessary for pure weight loss unless you have a medical condition. If you had zero carbs but exceeded your maintenance level TDEE caloric intake, you'd gain weight...and be very tired. If you only ate carbs but maintained a caloric deficit from your maintenance TDEE, you'd lose weight...and probably have high blood sugar and triglyceride issues.

The reason no carb/low carb diets "work" is largely because one is restricting a macro that also happens to be, on average, a high calorie macro. By limiting these, most people are naturally limiting calories and they're also eliminating a lot of sodium (typical SAD is high carb/high sodium) leading to a lot of water weight loss in conjunction with a little bit of fat.

I manage my macros only because a.) trying to reverse medical issues through diet and exercise; b.) it really works better with my fitness goals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. In most cases, calories (assuming no health issues).
  • misty11406
    Options
    Carbs are defiantly worse, The starch turns into sugar , then the sugar turns into fat. As long as your fiber equals the carbs it is ok though.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs are defiantly worse, The starch turns into sugar , then the sugar turns into fat. As long as your fiber equals the carbs it is ok though.

How common is DNL in humans?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    *headdesk*
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad, where do people get this? Processed foods (table sugar, bleached flour, baked goodies, etc.) aren't the healthiest for you (one might say "bad" here). But fruits and vegetables are primarily carbs and in no way are they bad for you. Your brain can only use glucose for energy, it cannot use fats and proteins. Where do you get glucose? You guessed it, carbohydrates. Of course, the body can process proteins into glucose and it does that when it runs out of glucose, but carbohydrates are your first "go to" ingredients for energy. Eat your carbohydrates.
  • missismonty
    missismonty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been a low carber for a while - and havent lost any weight! Now that could be for lots of reasons but this last week Ive been counting calories. I feel fuller and just worked out my breakfast of porridge and pineapple had 260 calories and 2 grans of fat and my usual low carb brekkie was around the same calories (an omlette) but 15 grams of fat!!!!!!

Im going with the calorie counting now but making good carb choices such as brown pasta and rice. Good luck x
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I count calories and have my carb goals set low. . If I go over my carbs but not my calories i don't sweat it too much. I just find that when I eat more carbs I am more hungry so I try to fill my calories with proteins and veggies. That's just me though.