low carb food/snacks

Options
Besides fruits and veggies, any recommendations for low carb foods, more importantly, a snack at the end of the day that doesn't take 3 bites to eat! I eat great during the day, including dinner. It's after dinner, when I'm relaxing watching tv, I'm thinking of eating something.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It's worth running a search, this comes up regularly.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese!
  • ishswn
    ishswn Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to make myself a smoothie: a few pieces of any frozen fruit + skim milk to cover + 2T ground flax seed (if you have enough calories left for it at the end of the day). I usually type in what I want to put in the smoothie first, then see how it's going to affect my total and adjust (or add!) accordingly!

Peach smoothie + nutmeg sprinkled in is kind of like a vanilla shake or eggnog shake.

Also that Special K with the chocolate shavings in it isn't bad calorie-wise.

Of course, I realize these both have some carbs. I guess I'm brainstorming more on low-calorie/low-fat. So maybe these didn't help?

Also IF you have the calories to spare, add a T. Hershey's chocolate syrup to that 8-oz smoothie!
  • ishswn
    ishswn Posts: 2
    Options
    Gotta love cottage cheese! With fruit it's a fabulous dessert!
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    cottage cheese with a couple of sliced strawberrys or nuts.. works wonders!!
  • jkenny14
    jkenny14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I do like cottage cheese, so that's on my grocery list now. I like to make smoothies. I usually add fruit and yogurt together, quick and easy, but the yogurt adds to my carbs. It is, however, a better choice than the pretzels I grab!
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Besides fruits and veggies....

I like to make chicken/veggie quesadillas with La Tortilla Factory wraps - 18g carbs, but 12g fiber so only 6g net carbs in a wrap.

Hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, plain Greek yogurt (add a dab of cinnamon or honey for flavor) are all low-carb.

Nuts (and any nut butters) are good too - most of the carbs are fiber.

Smart Food Popcorn mini snack bags (sold by the potato chips) - 100 cals a bag and 8g net carbs.

Any kind of meat is also low carb - a few slices of low-sodium lunch meat can make a nice snack and the protein will keep you full longer.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Popcorn
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    pork rinds. Not so healthy but no carbs and could satisfy a desire for a crunchy snack.
  • iwkgalsem
    Options
    I like to mix a low fat yoghurt with a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds and a tablespoon of chia seeds. Chia seeds are tasteless and are a great way to fill you up as they swell and make you feel full. They are also full of antioxidants and omega 3's. Nutrition information on them is worth googling. I buy mine from the bulk barn.
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    As a snack I often have 1/4 cup of almonds - very healthy and they take a while to chew and eat. For a serious low carb snack, look up cheese chips. They're basically little piles of shredded cheese baked in the oven until they're thin and crispy. You can use any kind of cheese. A snack a lot of my low carb friends have is a tiny bit of cream cheese smeared on a piece of lunchmeat, which is then wrapped around a pickle, cucumber, or celery.
  • tlwells62
    tlwells62 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mini bag of popcorn (usually 100 calories or less). Takes a while to eat. filling.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Besides fruits and veggies, any recommendations for low carb foods, more importantly, a snack at the end of the day that doesn't take 3 bites to eat! I eat great during the day, including dinner. It's after dinner, when I'm relaxing watching tv, I'm thinking of eating something.

almonds, peanuts =)
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Emerald Cocoa Almonds. Delicious snack and helps with any chocolate cravings!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    almonds, beef jerky, deli meat, sugar free jello pudding...

idk, fruits and veggies are great snacks but i'd consider them more a source of carbs then a low carb snack.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always keep atkins bars in the cabinet - they are low carb, high protein, and a lot of them taste like candy bars!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Here are some I have used in the past:

full fat riccotta cheese.- add a splenda packet and some vanilla

full fat riccotta cheese - on top of 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries (the frozen berries make the cheese harden a little so it is like eating ice cream)

boil some water - mix with a tablespoon of cocoa powder. Then add a single spoon of sugar or a splenda packet. Mix in a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.

pork rinds (all natural with 0 carbs)

chopped up hot dogs to dip into mustard (check carb on hot dogs)

Canned tuna mixed with chopped celery and olive oil

sugar free jello

I hope these give you some ideas.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    mini bag of popcorn (usually 100 calories or less). Takes a while to eat. filling.
    filling?! i need about 30 pounds of popcorn to be filled up lol
  • jkenny14
    jkenny14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! All great ideas, appreciate your feedback. I'm definitely adding cottage cheese and popcorn to my grocery list. I already eat almonds during the day. What I am determined to do is stop and ask myself why I want to eat while watching tv in the evening. I'm not really hungry, probably need to break the cycle. Guess I should just watch tv in my room...I have a firm rule of no eating in the bedroom or car.