Is microwaving bad?

Options
MizTerry
MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
There are folks that do nothing but microwave their food and some that say it's toxic. What are your thoughts?

:huh:

Replies

• MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good bad, or indifferent, I still want to hug the guy that invented it. For pre-planning my meals and enjoying hot food at work, it is a must and I am okay with that. This is a hot button topic for some, and I am sure there will be some debate about it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Just don't put your head inside....

But seriously, some people need to stop thinking so much.... I suppose this would go along with "cell phones give you cancer"....

We all gotta die from somethin' :drinker:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. It just produces heat in a more efficient way that traditional cooking. It doesn't make food toxic or radio-active or anything like that.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    not so good... kills the nutrients in your food.

(edit to give examples)

fresh veggies cooked the night before, yay - so yummy the next day... microwave, nutrients gone. it's like taking it and sucking everything good to eat empty calories.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Deathboxes rule.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    fresh veggies cooked the night before, yay - so yummy the next day... microwave, nutrients gone. it's like taking it and sucking everything good to eat empty calories.

Rubbish.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

(edit to give examples)

Microwaved vegetables have more nutrients than boiled or steamed.

Some nutrients do break down when they’re exposed to heat, whether it is from a microwave or a regular oven. Vitamin C is perhaps the clearest example. So, as a general proposition, cooking with a microwave probably does a better job of preserving the nutrient content of foods because the cooking times are shorter.

As far as vegetables go, it’s cooking them in water that robs them of some of their nutritional value because the nutrients leach out into the cooking water. For example, boiled broccoli loses glucosinolate, the sulfur-containing compound that may give the vegetable its cancer-fighting properties as well as the taste that many find distinctive and some, disgusting. The nutrient-rich water from boiled vegetables can be salvaged and incorporated into sauces or soups.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Microwave-cooking-and-nutrition.shtml
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Might not be good to microwave in plastic.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

(edit to give examples)

Not, it is quite the opposite:

The Claim: Microwave Ovens Kill Nutrients in Food

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR

THE FACTS They are a staple in kitchens everywhere, but for about as long as microwave ovens have been around, people have suspected that the radiation they emit can destroy nutrients in food and vegetables.

According to most studies, however, the reality is quite the opposite. Every cooking method can destroy vitamins and other nutrients in food. The factors that determine the extent are how long the food is cooked, how much liquid is used and the cooking temperature.

Since microwave ovens often use less heat than conventional methods and involve shorter cooking times, they generally have the least destructive effects. The most heat-sensitive nutrients are water-soluble vitamins, like folic acid and vitamins B and C, which are common in vegetables.

In studies at Cornell University, scientists looked at the effects of cooking on water-soluble vitamins in vegetables and found that spinach retained nearly all its folate when cooked in a microwave, but lost about 77 percent when cooked on a stove.

They also found that bacon cooked by microwave has significantly lower levels of cancer-causing nitrosamines than conventionally cooked bacon.

When it comes to vegetables, adding water can greatly accelerate the loss of nutrients. One study published in The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture in 2003 found that broccoli cooked by microwave — and immersed in water — loses about 74 percent to 97 percent of its antioxidants. When steamed or cooked without water, the broccoli retained most of its nutrients.

THE BOTTOM LINE Microwave ovens generally do not destroy nutrients in food.

scitimes@nytimes.com
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My cousin is really an odd person and she does not own a microwave because she thinks that the radiation will like seep out or something and give her and her family cancer....

Personally I think she is nuts. I do own a microwave, and while I don't cook ALL my food in there, I do use it occasionally and I don't think I will get cancer from it...
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don' microwave in anything plastic (esp. if it's not BPA free) or with saran wrap. Carcinogens are released into your food.
  • PosyPods
    Options
    When I moved out into my own place with my boyfriend, I insisted on having no microwave, because I didn't want to be tempted to eat frozen meals or "convenience" foods, which are usually junk for me.

However, we now live with his parents who of course have one.

I must say, being able to bake a potato in 3 minutes versus boiling it for an hour and warming up my peas and corn for dinner without having to get out a separate pot for the stove top has been amazing. Those are the only things I use it for, but I plan to get one for any place I have in the future simply because the convenience helps me eat healthier. I realized that if I don't want to eat bad foods, then all I have to do is not buy them.

Also, I'm no expert, but I believe that the microwave is actually better for some foods in terms of preserving nutrients. Heating certain foods using any method can destroy nutrients, but I think the temperature, water, and length of cooking time has an effect, which is why the microwave can be better. I might just be making that up, though.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inputs.
    My friend stated that the microwave made food unrecognizeable to the body and it was the first I'd ever heard of it. I wanted some input on it and I appreciate all that onctributed.
    I believed a skeleton was under my bed up until the age of ten too, so be bear with me. :noway:
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you are worried, just walk to another room after you turn it on. The radiation is no worse than your cell phone.
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just don't put your head inside....

But seriously, some people need to stop thinking so much.... I suppose this would go along with "cell phones give you cancer"....

We all gotta die from somethin' :drinker:
    Haha.... THIS^
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like not having one. I have to really want the leftovers to eat them now, because it takes more than 30 seconds to heat it up. So I only eat them when I am actually hungry. Leftovers taste way better when heated in a toaster oven or pan or whatever than from a microwave, especially pizza, but anything really. These two reasons are why after my microwave broke, we never got a new one. That and I love the extra counter space.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It might be. But I microwave everything from my coffee to my bacon. (Okay, not my bacon. Most days. Sometimes. Probably more than I should.) I can't imagine life without my microwave. It's my greatest time-saver.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are "don't read Mercola." :flowerforyou:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Microwaving is the best way to steam veggies. Less cook time = more nutrients preserved.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    If you are worried, just walk to another room after you turn it on. The radiation is no worse than your cell phone.

you can also unplug it during the day