kettlebell ladies

Options
I am very curious and interested in purchasing some kettlebells. I am a 5'2" woman 155 lbs. What weight and how many do I need? Any woman on here use them and if so, do you just buy one weight or more than one? My husband said not to use any 20 lbs or over? Is this true? I don't want to necessarily be super buff, but I do want to have lean muscle and don't mind having cuts/rips on my body. Any good sites, videos for workouts using them? Any input is appreciated!!

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'd say that it depends on your upper body strength. I'm only 5'3" and don't have a whole lot of upper body strength. A lot of people will tell you to start with 20 lbs. kettlebells, but that's still too much for me for any of the one arm exercises like turkish get-ups and I've been at it for quite a while (but 20lbs. is fine for the two arm ones like swings). I started with 10lbs. for all exercises and now I can do 15lbs. for one arm exercises and 20lbs. for two arms.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ^ This!

I say start w/ a 10 or 15lb. I started w/ a 15lb for turkish get-up's and I struggled the first bunch of times. I probably should have started w/ a 10 to get my technique right. 20 lb weights are probably more appropriate for 2 arm exercises. It can't hurt to buy a few of them right?!? (well except for in the wallet!)
  • Personally, I find with kettle bells it's about the endurance to handle the reps... You don't want to start with 20's. Get something you can comfortably swing to start with and work your way up. Start with a 10, maybe a 15 if you have some upper body strength.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I just got a set of 5/10/15 lb kettlebells for Christmas. I don't really use the 5s but use the 10 for most exercises and the 15 for swings. I think it's pretty important to get the form down before you increase the weight so I'm content to keep doing what I'm doing for now. I haven't really established a routine yet; I've been cruising You Tube for workouts and pointers (just type in kettlebell - there are lots in there).
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My Manbeast got the Kettleworx program with the ten pound kettlebell. He uses the ten pounder, I use a 15 pounder. It's really what you're comfy with. Probably start with a ten, get the form down, then start increasing.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking with actual orthodox kettlebell training you should never use anything lighter than a 15-20 lb kettlebell as a beginning woman. There are a number of "kettlebell" training programs that have you using kettlebells to do exercises adapted from conventional dumbbell training in which you would use lighter, but then you're losing the benefits of kettlebell training entirely. True, orthodox kettlebell exercises always begin with the lower body. And if you're not using a weight that's sufficient enough to challenge the muscles of your lower body doing goblet squats and swings, then you're not using enough weight. And just because it FEELS like it's working you hard in the beginning doesn't mean it actually is. If your body is not accustomed to the movement, ANYTHING will feel like a heavy load. Here is a blog post I posted regarding this:

_________________________________________________________________________________

Kettlebell training is one of the most popular, most effective, and yet most misunderstood and incorrectly implemented forms of training available today. The perfect example of this is the Jillian Michaels Shred it! Weight Weights DVD. This is a kettlebell workout DVD that has been widely criticized as the form she instructs in the video is very poor and inevitably leads to injuries as you move up to heavier weights, and the main reason for that is what follows:

The first mistake people, especially women, make in choosing a kettlebell (yes, you do only need one to do it right) is in choosing one that's too light. Many women start out with 5 or 10 lb kettlebells because they incorrectly gauge their strength based on their upper body. ALL kettlebell exercises originate with lower body muscle groups, and there is no isolation training with kettlebells. 5, or 10 lb weights, are too light for anyone who is not using the kettlebell for PT reasons. The correct way to gauge the kettlebell weight you should be using is to perform the single most basic fundamental exercise with it: The swing. The swing is a primarily lower body muscle exercise that also heavily works the back and core. Perform basic kettlebell swings for 30-40 seconds. That should be sufficient to require you to stop for a break, and you should be feeling it most in lower body muscle groups. Look for it specifically in the hamstrings as these muscles go ignored when the weight is too light. It doesn't matter if you're not strong enough to shoulder press it, that will come with practice and exercise. Start out with the swing. If that's all you can do, keep doing it. Then transition into the bump/push-press (a variation of the swing that also gets the chest, bicep, and tricep muscles involved as well) and then finally the press, the snatch, and the clean.

Most women who are beginners start out with an 8kg (~17.5 lb) kettlebell, or, if using ones rated in pounds, they'll go with either a 15 or a 20. For men, 25-35lbs, or 12-16kg.

While shopping for a kettlebell, you will find there are two types made. There are cast-iron style (which are also available with vinyl coating or plastic coating), which get bigger as they get heavier, and competition-style, which are all the same size regardless of weight (changing weight is achieved by hollowing out the center by varying amounts). Competition style kettlebells (which are unfortunately harder to find) are almost always superior for most forms of training, because the changing size with cast-iron style kettlebells can alter range of motion and the basic dynamic of the exercise as you go up in weight. With competition-style kettlebells, the size doesn't change, so your range of motion is not affected as you progress.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how strong you may be, but I think you'll outgrown anything under 20 lbs quickly. I started with the 20 for 2 handed swings and 15 for single arm swings. Eventually I was single arm swinging with a 25 and got up to a 45 for two handed swings. There are other exercises you can do other than those. Check out youtube!

Good luck!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I wish they weren't so damned expensive for the larger weights! At our gym we have a variety of kettlebells and I find that the 8kg (17lbs?) is usually what I gravitate toward for overhead reps. However, swinging would be midrange and deadlifting would have to be heavier. I'd say it depends on what type of moves you want to do with those weights.
  • uscdrj
    uscdrj Posts: 18
    Options
    I started with 5 lb. kettlebells, especially since I wanted to learn the correct form first. but 5 lbs is really light for me since I lift at the gym 3 X a week. You really only need to purchase one. There are great kettlebell workouts at www.dailyburn.com and the kettlebell dvds by Amy Bento Ross are supposed to be awesome. I just have not purchased one yet. You can find them on Amazon. Really works your core, and you will feel your abs burning along with many other muscles.
  • cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How are you all logging it in mfp? I can't find kettlebell anywhere to get calories etc? Any ideas? I'm new here and have started doing kettlebells. I started with 10lb in order to get correct form to avoid injury. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I started with 20s (for everything) and while single arm stuff was hard, I quickly got use to it. Now I am up to 40 pounds. For me, I moved up in weight very fast. But I am also very addicted to kettlebell workouts! Love Them!!!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    How are you all logging it in mfp? I can't find kettlebell anywhere to get calories etc? Any ideas? I'm new here and have started doing kettlebells. I started with 10lb in order to get correct form to avoid injury. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I log mine under circuit training. I make up my own work outs with different KB moves and tabatas. So I just log it under circuit training.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Be careful when using one that's too light. It actually makes it MORE difficult to learn proper form because when it's too light you end up not incorporating muscles that are supposed to be doing the lion's share of the work. In the case of compound movements, which are supposed to be multi-muscle, such as with kettlebell training, many muscles that are supposed to be doing the work don't bother getting involved if the weight is not sufficient. Your legs aren't going to be getting into it properly if the weight is light enough for the upper body to accomplish the lift without assistance from the legs. This makes you MORE prone to injury. Using a weight that is lighter than the recommended starting weight to "learn proper form" is COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE because the form you end up using when working with a weight that's too light is NOT the form you will be using when working with a weight that is sufficient enough to challenge the intended muscles. It may LOOK like you're doing the exercise right, but you're not.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I checked out a kettlebell gym this week and started with the 8kg (approx 18lbs). I was tired after 30 minutes, but could see that I could outgrow it fast. I purchased a 12 and 15 for at home before I took the class and will be returning the 12 and buying a 20. Lots of gyms offers a free first class, see if there is one in your area and give it awhirl. I found that it did help me in figuring out weight and I also was corrected on form etc. (Also, I found that I liked the bigger kettle bells as described above where they are the same size but different weights versus the ones I bought for home that are smaller.)

Im a newbie kettlebeller (sp?) :-)
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Me and my hubby love kettle bells we have a huge range of weights going from 10kg up to 24kg I mainly use the 12-16kg for swings but anything over head I use the 10kg, they really help to tone you but they don't bulk you up enjoy using the weights x
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you are into LBs hard core you should check out the book Enter the Kettlebell (more geared towards men). The best KB DVD fir women is by far... The Kettlebell Goddess workout with Andrea Du Cane. Endless amounts of workouts you can design and she gives you a .pdf as well with other info. Excellent.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    that was KB not LB, but as a side note, you can actually injure yourself by not using a heavy enough weight. Sounds odd but true. Another good book that shows exercises that is geared towards beginning is Kettlebells for Women by Lauren Brooks. Do not forget your Joint Mobility exercises. This helps so that you can continue to move without being stiff. Have fun!
  • jabrock9
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but maybe invest in an adjustable weight kettlebell. I have one myself, and that made it easier fro me to work my way up in weight and not have multiple ones. I've seen them in most sporting goods stores and online.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    But you're at risk of injuring yourself if you use a weight that is too heavy for you. When you're short and not very strong, you can tip over. Not that I'd know from experience... :embarassed: :laugh: