crock pot idea

Options
maestrachistosa
maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
Hey there,
I know most people who use a crock pot absolutely love it. Including me. However, I am gone for 12 or more hours per day at work, and am gone frequently on the weekends. So, the "I-can-just-throw-things-in-the-pot-and-leave" way of using it, doesn't really work well with my schedule, unless I want to have mushy or dried out food for dinner. Until now. The other night I realized that I AM home for 8 hours at a time each day...when I am SLEEPING. So, I threw all the stuff in the pot before bedtime, and voila, my dinner was made when I woke up the next day. I simply put it in the fridge, nuked it when I got home from work, and dinner was on. Just thought I'd share my idea with you...honestly, it's one of my best ones!!

Replies

• mdickey
    mdickey Posts: 3
    Options
    Idea to pass along... One of my best investments was a stone covered baker in thirty minutes you can cook a chicken in the Microwave! I also use it for chicken breasts and pork chops. I got frustrated with the crockpot too, for the same reasons. I have found the covered baker very refreshing and easy to use!
  • naeS1Sean
    naeS1Sean Posts: 21
    Options
    Thats an unfortunate work schedule...sorry, no ideas here! :-/
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I've done that before. It smells so good, and I dream I'm eating a huge meal! Best dreams ever! lol
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Idea to pass along... One of my best investments was a stone covered baker in thirty minutes you can cook a chicken in the Microwave! I also use it for chicken breasts and pork chops. I got frustrated with the crockpot too, for the same reasons. I have found the covered baker very refreshing and easy to use!

Your post intrigued me, so I spent some time googling stone covered baker, and found a round option that is "not available" then an oblong one with bazillions of reviews about the joys of bread making. The one pictured looked too big to fit in an average microwave, so I am curious as to where you got yours. I did find a smaller one on Macy's website but it is porcelain, which is not quite the same as stone.
  • jdayl
    jdayl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like to use 1 package pasta noodles, 1 can or jar of sauce, 1 sauce can or jar of water, 1 package of Tofurky Italian sausage sliced ( or any precooked sausage if you eat meat) and mozzarella grated, put half the cheese in, stir and put the rest on top. Super Yummy.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    You should invest in a smart pot. You can set the time and then it cooks on high or low for however long and switches to warm after. You're plan works great too!

And I have the Pampered Chef deep dish covered baker: http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=13833&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=. There are tons of great recipes and it's worth the price (disclaimer... I am addicted to the Pampered Chef). My favorite is the white chicken chili.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Something that has worked for me is to get one of those timers that people use to make their lights go on and off automatically. --the ones with the automatic on and off, where you set the times. Instead of plugging in a light, I plug in my crock pot! I can prep it the night before and then just stick it in the crockpot that morning (It's been in the fridge so it's cold), set it to start a few hours after I leave, and turn off an hour or two (or whatever) before I get home, and I walk in the door to a yummy warm meal ready to go. Just make sure you have your crockpot turned on. (I have an old one with a turn dial.) Each recipe is different, but this has been a lifesaver given commuting times and a full work day, etc!
  • mckeeverlisa
    mckeeverlisa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's a super idea!!!! There is a cookbook "Fix-It and Forget-it Lightly" It is nothing but crockpot recipes all lowcal and very good. You can get it cheap on ebay, Lisa
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I start my crock pot on 'high' while I am still home and then switch it to 'low' before I leave the house and that works for most things. I went to the beach on Sunday and left a whole chicken cooking in barbecue sauce. I wish I had a smart pot because I thought the chicken was over-cooked. No one else in the family seemed to mind.:laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning pamper chef baker. Good idea about using the appliance timer. I do have a "smart pot" but it isn't smart enough to put the food in without my intervention!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • mdickey
    mdickey Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I am responding to you inquiry about the stoneware. I ordered it through Pampered Chef. I am finding that I like it better than the slowcooker because the food does not "sit" all day. But I am thrilled with how quickly it cooks food.
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    All great ideas. You've inspired me to dust off my crock pot and get cooking again. Vegetarian chili anyone?:love:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    You should invest in a smart pot. You can set the time and then it cooks on high or low for however long and switches to warm after. You're plan works great too!

This is the type I have, not sure of the brand but when the timer goes off it switches over to warm and will be fine for probably 4 hours or so on it's own.

LOVE IT! Also love the plasic bags that you can get to make the cooking cleanup process easier for the crockpot, yes I splurge now and then!:laugh: