Dr. Ian Smith "Shred" book

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    LOL anyone preaching "muscle confusion" should be immediately disregarded.

Everyone knows muscle confusion only works in conjunction with Shakeology
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    So is it more just eating less calories one day and more the next? Or is it the same amount of calories every day? Are the foods on the plan stuff that is easily accesible? Or is there a lot of preparation involved?
  • Qsuzy1
    Qsuzy1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So is it more just eating less calories one day and more the next? Or is it the same amount of calories every day? Are the foods on the plan stuff that is easily accesible? Or is there a lot of preparation involved?

The calories are fairly the same day to to day, but vary from week to week. The food is basic and easy to do. There is a lot of preparation. But staying on track with eating healthy is going to take prep time.

There are a few good things about the program. Eating healthy, portion control and working out 5 days a week. A decent way to start off losing weight/getting fit, but overall it's not something to stay on all the time - Not enough calories per day in the plan. The more information I learn I'm finding out that I need to be eating between my BMR and TDEE.

But there are options in the plan and it lays everything out. I liked that it's easy to follow.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    *Dr’s Ian Shred Program is based off of Meal Spacing and Diet and Muscle Confusion. You are advised not to eat and do the same exercises every day. If you ate a bowl of cereal Day 1 don’t eat cereal day 2. If you walked Day 1 don’t walk day 2 try a different exercise.
    *Clean eating is recommended, stay away from junk but unlike alot of diets, drinking is allowed
    *Timing is critical to the success of this plan. It might be difficult at first, but plan in advance and do the best you can. Skipping meals is not advised. Even if you eat just a small portion, try to eat something on schedule.
    *You must eat something every 3 to 4 hours even if you’re not hungry, but don’t stuff yourself. Eat until you’re no longer hungry, but don’t eat until you’re full. If you need less than what’s recommended, then great, go ahead and eat less, which is even better.

*You don’t have to eat all of the food on the day’s menu if you don’t want to, but no skipping meals, no doubling up on meals, and no exceeding the meal guidelines in size and volume. Condiments like ketchup, mayo, and mustard are allowed, but no more than a teaspoon
    *You must consume 1 cup of water before eating a meal; you must consume 1 cup of water during your meal.
    *Weigh yourself in the morning before starting the program and record it. Don’t weigh yourself throughout the week. Your
    *Five out of the seven days you must do cardiovascular exercise, commonly called cardio.
    *Be smart in your snack choices. Avoid chips and doughnuts and candy; you can have them some of the time, but don’t eat them often. If you must have something like these items, make it only one of your snacks for the day and use healthier options for the other snacks.

LMAO, no wonder he was on Dr Oz, takes a BSer to know one?

I'm confused about the "eat even if you're not hungry" but "eat until you are no longer hungry" thing.
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Another note, I really haven't been following everything and since this is week 1 that's not really expected but the better the are maybe the better the results but I've seen people on Facebook report the followed to the letter and lost nothing and hey unfortunately that true of most diets, Everything is not for Everybody

I post my results when my week 1 is over

Week 1 - 4 pounds lost even with 2 very bad days.

For some people this diet is nothing revolutionary and a lot of the info we've seen before and they are right. I've been told many of these things before but sometimes people like me just need reminders and those just starting out need guidance.

One thing new for me was that in the past I did often eat the same things over and over because it was easier. However, that was probably hurting me and could be the reason many of the other plans stopped working after a while. I've been trying different things since hitting a plateau and this is only thing outside of absolutely starving myself and restricting carbs that has given me such results. However, the true test for me will be how this works over the whole 6 weeks and beyond.
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Options
    *Dr’s Ian Shred Program is based off of Meal Spacing and Diet and Muscle Confusion. You are advised not to eat and do the same exercises every day. If you ate a bowl of cereal Day 1 don’t eat cereal day 2. If you walked Day 1 don’t walk day 2 try a different exercise.
    *Clean eating is recommended, stay away from junk but unlike alot of diets, drinking is allowed
    *Timing is critical to the success of this plan. It might be difficult at first, but plan in advance and do the best you can. Skipping meals is not advised. Even if you eat just a small portion, try to eat something on schedule.
    *You must eat something every 3 to 4 hours even if you’re not hungry, but don’t stuff yourself. Eat until you’re no longer hungry, but don’t eat until you’re full. If you need less than what’s recommended, then great, go ahead and eat less, which is even better.

*You don’t have to eat all of the food on the day’s menu if you don’t want to, but no skipping meals, no doubling up on meals, and no exceeding the meal guidelines in size and volume. Condiments like ketchup, mayo, and mustard are allowed, but no more than a teaspoon
    *You must consume 1 cup of water before eating a meal; you must consume 1 cup of water during your meal.
    *Weigh yourself in the morning before starting the program and record it. Don’t weigh yourself throughout the week. Your
    *Five out of the seven days you must do cardiovascular exercise, commonly called cardio.
    *Be smart in your snack choices. Avoid chips and doughnuts and candy; you can have them some of the time, but don’t eat them often. If you must have something like these items, make it only one of your snacks for the day and use healthier options for the other snacks.

I'm confused about the "eat even if you're not hungry" but "eat until you are no longer hungry" thing.

Every 3 to 4 hrs eat because you are trying to keep your blood sugar stable and avoid the highs and lows of eating big meals 3 or 5 times a day.

But just because Breakfast may say eat 1&1/2 cups of oatmeal & a piece of fruit, that doesn't mean you have to eat it all. A lot of us have problems pushing the plate away and we eat till we are full instead of just stoping when we are statisfied or no longer hungry.

I hope this helps
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ^ she wasn't actually confused or asking for help tx_Julie_mang, lol. She was making a joke at the contradictory bullsh.it
  • CoachJessicaT
    CoachJessicaT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 4.4 pounds in the first week!
  • justjenny
    Options
    Way to go! I am on day 3....hope to see some loss this week. Then again...I only have about 15 pounds to lose, so I won't be surprised if I don't lose much...
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Options
    W1 lost 4 lbs
    W2 lost 2 lbs ( even with a visit from flow)
    Total 6 lbs lost
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. He is merely the latest in a long line of opportunists who know they can become rich by playing off people's misconceptions about weight-loss. I guess stuff like this works for people who are already in pretty bad shape because obviously if you're significantly overweight and eating a horrible diet, then following his plan will cause you to lose weight. But you can tell it's not for people who have been in the game for a while because I see no real explanation for his insistence that you can't skip meals or double up on meals. The idea of intermittent fasting would probably really blow his mind.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I liked him on Celebrity Fit club.
    I have his Fat Smash book, only for the recipes which are pretty tasty.
    I refuse to do any of these 'diet' plants that have stages like South Beach, or that.
  • Lanae7
    Lanae7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did 2 weeks of Dr. Ian Smith "Shred" and also the 3 day Detox featured on Dr. Oz this past weekend. I went off the plan so that I could do the Detox as well. I went from 146.6 to 141 in 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't finish the 6 week program, but I intend to jump back on week 3 tomorrow. I see it working for me since I have been on a plateau for some time now. Although I am doing it on my own terms and mixing it up, I am seeing results.
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do you need to count calories? I hear and read only good and very positive results!
  • vadiamondmami
    Options
    Greetings,

This is my Third Week on the Shred Diet. I purchased this book on my iPhone via my iBooks. I lost 5 pounds in my first week, 2.2lbs. my second week, and I weigh in on Thursday to see how much I've lost during this third week. I have found this diet to be really simple to follow as I work a full time job, mommy to two girls, and I manage a few projects. I enjoy this plan because I am eating things that I actually enjoy eating and have no problem eating.

This diet beyond its hype is just simple to follow, its not for everyone but it realistically sets you up to make smarter choices in your diet even after you are finish. Like many other diets, you have to change the way you eat in order to lose and more importantly exercise. Losing weight overall is a mental challenge, and if one can face all three, they will be successful at losing weight. I would recommend this book and diet program to anyone who wants a step by step guide that is easy to follow and wants to lose weight realistically.

Good Luck to all!!!
  • vadiamondmami
    Options
    No you do not need to count calories. You do have to consume food that is within a calorie limit (ie: you get 3-4 snacks a day, some 100 calories or less, some 150 calories or less)

I use My Fitness Pal in conjuction with the SHRED diet because it allows me to keep track of what I'm eating, my exercise, and weight loss. It makes you accountable for what you consume and it also allows you to write in the note section, how you felt, what did you eat, how was your workout, so once you finish the SHRED diet you can reflect on which weeks were easy/hard, which weeks you lost the least amount of weight/most amount of weight, etc.
  • vadiamondmami
    Options
    :love:
  • justjenny
    Options
    Just out of curiousity...how many calories are you logging a day with Shred? Are you more or less than you were eating before you started?
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Greetings,

This is my Third Week on the Shred Diet. I purchased this book on my iPhone via my iBooks. I lost 5 pounds in my first week, 2.2lbs. my second week, and I weigh in on Thursday to see how much I've lost during this third week. I have found this diet to be really simple to follow as I work a full time job, mommy to two girls, and I manage a few projects. I enjoy this plan because I am eating things that I actually enjoy eating and have no problem eating.

This diet beyond its hype is just simple to follow, its not for everyone but it realistically sets you up to make smarter choices in your diet even after you are finish. Like many other diets, you have to change the way you eat in order to lose and more importantly exercise. Losing weight overall is a mental challenge, and if one can face all three, they will be successful at losing weight. I would recommend this book and diet program to anyone who wants a step by step guide that is easy to follow and wants to lose weight realistically.

Good Luck to all!!!
    Thanks for the info! One more question; I already eat pretty healthy, lots of veggies and fruit, nonfat dairy, etc so what is the big 'change"? Is it the combination? And also, what kind of food do I eat? You eat carbs, lean meat, fish and so? I definitely will purchase the book but would like to know a few more things before I do.
  • justjenny
    Options
    One more question on this. I am on day 5 of week one, and I noticed last night after meal 4 I felt very full. I had one slice of meatloaf, one spoon of potato, raw carrrots and salad. I woke up this morning ravenous, and after meal 1 felt very full again, almost to the point of bloated. I have since missed my first snack time. Should I eat it now? Or go to Meal 2? Is this happening to anyone else?