Looking for 5:2 /Alternate Day Fast dieters to Join Me

Hi

I feel like I have been dieting for half of my life. Actually, I have been dieting for half of my life. I'm 44 very seriously obese at 271lbs and 5'8. Every diet I've been on I've ended up putting on more and more weight. For the last 2 years I seem to have stagnated at 18-19 stone. I'm surprised I haven't got diabetes and I can still move around.
Any way I started the 5:2 eating plan last week. I found the down days a killer and 500 cals was just impossible.

I've worked out that it's best for me to have down days when I'm at work, I can control my eating better and I've chosed Mondays and Wednesdays. Last week I totally over loaded on food on my up days so this week I've increased my down days to 500 cals and my up days (yesterday) I didn't monitor. But I know I ate a whole load less than I did on my up days last week.

So I think I'll keep to 800 on down days as I manage better. Today is a down day and I have had a couple of stgrong hunger pangs but I'm drinking my Volvic Sugar Free which is only 12 cals per 1.5 litre bottle. I just need to stay away from food for another 2 hours and then tomorrow I can eat.

Is anyone else a recent starter with the 5:2 or ADF?
Would love to have some support.

Replies

• NewFrenchFemme
    NewFrenchFemme Posts: 36 Member
    Hi,
    I've been doing 5:2 since mid-November (with a break for Christmas!) and find it suits me very well. I actually aim to do 4:3 at the moment, as I have quite a lot of weight to lose. I keep to around 500 calories on "fast (or lean)" days, and 20% off TDEE on "normal" days. My diary is open to friends - feel free to add me if you would like.
  • cocodrops
    cocodrops Posts: 14 Member
    Hi
    Thanks for replying.
    How do you cope with 500 cals a day?
    What is TDEE?
    I was thinking about doing 4:3 Monday, Wednesday and Friday as down days. But I work late some Friday nights till 3.30am. And going that long without food would finish me off. I want to maintain this eating plan and not give up.

How much do you need to lose? I would like to lose about 7 stones so I'm giving myself about a year to achieve that.

And final question, how do I add you as a friend?
  • NewFrenchFemme
    NewFrenchFemme Posts: 36 Member
    Hi,
    I find I cope best by eating most of my 500 calories as an evening meal, with hot drinks (counting the small amount of milk in a couple of cups of tea) and some days some home-made veg soup for lunch. I have never been keen on breakfast, but used to force myself to eat it as it was "good for you" - I feel much better without.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or the amount of calories you need to fuel your daily activity. Depends on your activity level - I have classed myself as "sedentary" and then log any exercise I do. Not sure how to add links on my iPad, but if you search for "TDEE" or "In place of a roadmap" you should find more info.

I have about 30kg (about 66 pounds) to lose.

Have accepted your friend request!
  • Hello

So are you guys doing 500/600 calories for the 3 usual meals of a day? Originally was put to me as have normal evening meal (6pm), then fast (500 Cals) until next day (6pm), i.e 24 hrs. Only therefore fasting for Breakfast & Lunch on that next day...feel like I've missed the idea?
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Darn, I thought I invented 5:2! I've been doing it for a couple of years and have gone from 147 lbs. to 130.5 lbs., although I kicked up my exercise a bit.

My version includes about 1,000 calories on down days, but since my workouts burn 400 calories on those days, that would make up for it. Typically: a banana at breakfast, a large salad with a tablespoon full of regular dressing at lunch, unlimited fresh vegetables any time, a banana and a grapefruit as snacks. Dinner is canned chicken noodle soup (yeah, sodium is off the charts but fortunately I don't have to watch sodium) with a whole lot of veggies sauteed with nonstick cooking spray. It adds bulk and texture to the soup but very few calories.

Bedtime snack: 8 oz. of nonfat Greek yogurt with a couple of teaspoons of honey- it keeps me from waking up hungry. And a glass of white wine.

Preferred drinks other than that are black coffee, Diet Coke and ice water.

The good thing is that the down days have taught me that if I have a few hunger pangs I'm not gonna die and I'm learning to ignore them or to grab a few baby carrots. So, on the up days I'm eating less, too.

Good luck- it worked for me!
  • LadyMud17
    LadyMud17 Posts: 193 Member
    There is a very supportive group, called the intermittent fasting group,, look them up. We do a group fast on Weds, and alot of us also fast on Sunday as well. Also there is alot of info, and alot of diffented feed patterns you might like to learn about.