This may be stupid but... (probably ideal for women only)

Options
I'm on my period and I just got it today. The first day is never easy for me but I want to go to the gym and exercise.

Is it a good idea to go exercise while being on my period? What advices can you give based on exercising while on period? Take it easy and do elliptical trainer for 20-30 minutes and strength training involved (probably will do upper body)?

:embarassed:

Replies

• CdnArtyWife
    Options
    As long as you're sufficiently prepared and able to stop any unwanted leaks (ie extra feminine products in your gym bag) you should be good to go.

I've run 10 Km races while on my period. I just carried an extra pad with me and ducked into a porta-potty along the route to do a quick change to prevent any embarrassing moments.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    I always go to the gym during my TOM, never fails that I will leave there feeling a million times better. I've always done my normal routine but I rarely have to deal with terrible cramping or anything.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just workout...whatever you want to do, I don't see why being on your period should stop you.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Why should having your period stop you from doing any normal activity? I mean, I'll use it it get out of work on occasion, but working out? Nah. Actually makes me feel better.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You should never let your period stop you from doing the things you want to do and if you have cramping the exercise might even help.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    What they all said :)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    The only thing I suggest it make sure you are drinking enough water, maybe up your intake a little bit. But other than that, go for it! Working out is always good for you, no matter what time of the month it is :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I've had some of my best work-outs, go for it!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It should not affect your workout in any way, just pad up.

:bigsmile:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely a good idea to exercise on your period. On my cycle I make sure to drink lots of water, avoid all drinks except water (no juices, no coffee, no tea, no soda, no diet soda, no alcohol, and no milk), avoid any caffeine, and work out. Since I started doing that, I have absolutely no cramping, no breast tenderness, and best of all, I lose weight steadily instead of retaining water.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    As long as the flow is not so heavy that you flood within about 20 minutes (I had cycles like that), you should be good to go.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ditto the poster who said you may need extra fem products, but that's about it. Do what you want to in the gym, it'll be fine.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I understand that working out during the TOM can help alleviate symptoms such as cramping... since I don't cramp, I can't tell you for sure... but hey, whatever works... go for it!
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    I cramp like crazy, I retain water even tho I dont eat a lot of salt. I retain where i'm fat (everywhere) and I cramp where I retain. doing SOMETHING gets my circulation going which reduces water retention which reduces cramping & actually makes life better. so do which ever feels most comfortable but do at least some aerobic
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Doing exercise will generally help with your TOM; as most PMS symptoms are caused from a build up of hormones in your organs...flushing those out through lots of fluid and sweating will help.

That being said, it really depends; I know I've had days where I couldn't get out of bed I was so bad off but mostly now I do nothing different during TOM. Listen to your body (truly listen, don't use as an excuse)

EDIT -- this helps a lot: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/product/pms-tea-reg

Great for mood swings - http://www.puritan.com/vitex-chasteberry-581

Great for breast tenderness - http://www.puritan.com/dong-quai-605

I take a multi that also is for women - http://www.puritan.com/multivitamins-womens-972/ultra-women-daily-multi-iron-free-timed-release-012120#tab-1
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    umm...If you're anything like me.....stay far away from people, pets anything with a pulse at least for 24-48 hours. I even go as far as not talking on the phone as much as possible. If I end up going to the gym or downstairs to workout someone gets my wrath so It's best I stay put away from my keys especially since road rage and it do not go well together.

I have PCOS so maybe I'm different than most of the other ladies that commented. I do the world a favor and stay locked in my bedroom growling at the door thinking someone might attempt to come in.

Midol,Chai latte, chocolate, the Bible and Lord of the Rings are my only companions during that time. I have been put on every medication knows to OB/Gyn's for it but, my family agrees Midol alone is the best at controling my rage. It may sound like I'm joking but, it definately is no joke. I can't live with some of the things I say and do during that TOM . It is a complete turn around though in about 48 hours and I'm perfectly fine again.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would just stay away from the hot tub as is may make things flow heavier. However, any form of exercise should make you feel better.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    umm...If you're anything like me.....stay far away from people, pets anything with a pulse at least for 24-48 hours. I even go as far as not talking on the phone as much as possible. If I end up going to the gym or downstairs to workout someone gets my wrath so It's best I stay put away from my keys especially since road rage and it do not go well together.

I have PCOS so maybe I'm different than most of the other ladies that commented. I do the world a favor and stay locked in my bedroom growling at the door thinking someone might attempt to come in.

I used to have this issue as well...take this

http://www.puritan.com/vitex-chasteberry-581

Take the capsule daily starting 10 days before you TOM is due, then also buy the extract for those days where you're really on edge and need an extra dose immediately. It truly works wonders...

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/product/pms-tea-reg (start drinking 10 days before TOM is due and drink 4 cups per day or as I do...2 really strong cups)

the tea may help as well...I've mellowed considerably...my husband doesn't allow me to run out of either of these items LOL
  • aarensj
    Options
    First, I don't think it's stupid at all. I actually HATE working out during my TOM. I make myself do it, but it doesn't not relieve my cramps, make me feel better, anything. I say this having just finished it. That said, I still do it because I know how easy it is for me to fall off the wagon, and I can't let much of anything stop me. I try to stay as far away from others as possible though, because I'm a crazy evil b-i for about a week--no classes for me.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    being on your period has nothing to do with whether or not to exercise or continue doing your daily routines. Just stay well protected from leakage. If you're in pain .. take something to alleviate the pain .. If you don't feel like going to the gym .. don't.

If you're worried about your performance because it's the first day of your period and you're feeling down .. don't worry.. any exercise helps you reach your goal down the road. If you're worried because you're self conscious of it .. then stop thinking about it.

I'm 46 years old .. I still have my period .. whatever. No big deal.. it's a part of life and I've never let IT stop me from doing what I want, when I want. It's my life .. not my period's!