In your 50s with a knee replacement in last 5 yrs?

Options
I am 51. Just saw my surgeon today. I have bad osteoarthritis in my knee, it's bone to bone on the inside of the knee, the outside of the knee joint is covered in arthritis, there is a lump of bone growing behind the knee (not the patella, the back of the knee) so I can't straighten my knee and the whole knee is generally mashed.

I have lost a lot of weight and the pain has decreased significantly but the arthritis is causing it to pop, crunch, destabilise and generally feel weak, put that together with the inability to straighten and pain from the very regular "catching" of tissues inside the knee which gives excrutiating pain for short periods of time, and making me use one crutch at times and you can see why I feel it might be beneficial for me to have it replaced.

Have you had a total knee replacement in your 50s? My surgeon is quite happy to do a replacement for me, but as I am active and getting stronger every day he feels it may not even "last" 5 years. I am in the gym every day, heavy lifting, cycling, rowing, elliptical and now can use the stepper/mountain climber. There is not a lot I can't do except running and anything involving twisting the knees.

I am in two minds: 1). Get it replaced, walk tall and straight, lose the pain. OR2). Keep losing weight, keep active and make the best of it for as long as I can.

I would appreciate your experience of your knee operation and more especially recovery. Thank you.

Replies

• FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in knowing what information people have to offer. I have not had my knees examined as thoroughly, but I do have issues with them. I'm over 50 as well, and I know that arthritis is hovering. My last two knee problems have been a result of running and twisting (Zumba) them. So I stopped. As long as I can do everything else fairly comfortably, I don't plan to have any surgery. Hopefully, additional weight loss and exercise will help me remain mobile and not require assistance.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40s with OA in both knees. Osteo Necrosis in my knee also. It's rough but I will need both knees done in the future. Here's what I'm doing...
    Physical therapy in the pool to strengthen the knees without weight bearing.
    Core strengthening in PT and quad, hip activation to strengthen the supporting muscles

I expect a knee replacement in my 50's, but I'm losing weight and managing while I can. Without pain now I might add. I have many friends that have had knee replacements. It's a split between them about who wished they didn't and who's glad they did get the replacement.
    good luck!
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am not a medical professional nor have I had my knees done, but I do work for a company that makes the knee replacements.

I don't know a lot about these things, but I have always been under the impression that a decent knee replacement should last more than 5 years even in very athletic people - at least 10 I would say! There are some wonderful products that are great for younger and active patients.

It might be worth just googling the companies that make the products - they can have great patient information - or getting a 2nd opinion perhaps.

X
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You know my story - had mine done at 51 - and will do it again in a flash - other one is not that far away from having to be done.....

Your OS sounds very conservative - I do not believe the 5 years story - and as I have said before - if you think about the impact and don't overstress the knee my OS says at least 15 to 20 years (based on what they know about current impants - and the technology is moving on rapidly)

Here is a really great forum - you will get both sides "I wish I had never done it" and "Best thing I ever did".....a lot of the people on there are obviously older, and physically not in good shape ..... I believe being fit and healthy and strong when you go into it makes a huge difference to the success....

http://bonesmart.org/?gclid=CNn6wY2q_7QCFcxZpQodbm0Azg

The other thing I really believe in is a positive mindset - I am not looking at what I can't do - I am making the best of what I can do - PAIN FREE!!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - very interesting, especially about the 5 year lifespan of the knees.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
  • bbutchh
    Options
    What a crap shoot....... Did your Doc tell you how long rehab would be? 5 years, seems like a short time. I have been told that I would burn out a knee quickly too but not 5 years? Have you looked on the web for average longevity when people have knee replacements. My Doc told me that the knee he could give me 4 years ago was the same exact knee he had been using for 30+ plus years. He told me then that new materials, etc. where going to hit the market soon and to hold off. I think I have read where there are new things out there? Your medical coverage is different than ours in that is is all paid for by England? I wanted to say Feds, or state but that would be wrong. Sorry to here that your knee is so bad. People at times learn to live with pain that they probably should not take on. I wish I had an answer for you. Hope someone does. Butch
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    Yes I have read lots of people's experience now. I agree, 5 years appears to be a rubbish statement. Perhaps he is testing me to see how serious I am about wanting it replaced. The dilema I have is that, now I have lost the weight, the pain is so much reduced, inasmuch that - when I don't feel the "nipping" sensation - it is relatively pain free.

On one hand I feel determined to have it done so I can walk normally and enjoy up to 15-20 years of activity without being nervous of every step feeling very unstable and my leg permanently bent - or having the replacement and wondering if I did the right thing and how long it would last.

I am still reading and will decide in a couple of days.

Thanks for your input everyone. More would be appreciated!