Help! Trying to make sure this is correct.

Options
I want to follow the in place of a roadmap method, instead of starving myself. I calculated my body fat as 49.8%. I am 24 years old, 5'6" and 209 lbs. I carry most of my fat in my stomach area. I have followed the instructions and came up with a TDEE of 2731 for moderate activity. I used moderate activity because I workout 5-6 days a week burning a minimum of 450 calories and a maximum of 576 calories, and an average of about 500 calories. So at that level of activity TDEE - 20% would put me at 2,185 calories a day. I have been eating at 1200 calories, netting 800-1100 after exercise and seeing results then gaining back and forth. So my question is do these numbers sound right for my height, and weight as far as body fat percentage and TDEE? and if so is it better to increase these calories slowly or all at once? Any advice and suggestions are welcome! thanks so much! :)

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    bumping til I check something........
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can get some answers. :)
  • sandradev1
    Options
    It looks like around that figure of 2000/2100 calories would be about right for you.

It is very daunting to increase by that much when you are trying to lose weight. Take a look at the In Place of a Road Map group, there are pages of testimonials from people who have done what you are about to do. It may help to alleviate some of your fears.

Maybe increase a few hundred a week to help convince you that you are not about to put loads of weight on.

Remember, your body needs time to adjust to changes and this is not a race, but a long term plan to a healthier you.

It might be a good idea for your to send Helloisdan a friend request as I am sure he would help to ensure you have applied the figures correctly. He is very very helpful.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    I found the link to the group for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

I know it works both for me and many of my friends :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I just ran the numbers, and came up with the same thing you did. Working out 5-6x a week might put you into the next category, which would give you a TDEE of about 3000, but you're on the right track. Go ahead and try to hit 2185 Cals a day - but don't eat your exercise Cals back, as they're already figured into your TDEE. See how that goes for a month, then recalculate, if necessary.
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    Yeah I had sent him a message earlier as I am friends with a girl he is also friends with who recommended I send him a message but he hasn't responded yet and I wanted to start this change asap. Thank you so much for your advice and input! It is greatly appreciated! :)
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance! I feel better already! :)
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    Thanks for linking the group! :)
  • sandradev1
    Options
    I just checked and Dan's not been around for about 5 hours, may be at work. He always gets back to people as soon as he gets chance. Read the group posts in the meantime and hope it helps further.

There is a large network of people on here using the road map.

Send a friend request if you want :flowerforyou:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I want to follow the in place of a roadmap method, instead of starving myself. I calculated my body fat as 49.8%. I am 24 years old, 5'6" and 209 lbs. I carry most of my fat in my stomach area. I have followed the instructions and came up with a TDEE of 2731 for moderate activity. I used moderate activity because I workout 5-6 days a week burning a minimum of 450 calories and a maximum of 576 calories, and an average of about 500 calories. So at that level of activity TDEE - 20% would put me at 2,185 calories a day. I have been eating at 1200 calories, netting 800-1100 after exercise and seeing results then gaining back and forth. So my question is do these numbers sound right for my height, and weight as far as body fat percentage and TDEE? and if so is it better to increase these calories slowly or all at once? Any advice and suggestions are welcome! thanks so much! :)

I would increase slowly. I would try 200 a week for four weeks, that should be slow enough you shouldn't see as big a gain in the beginning.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You could also try this link as well, same idea as the road map:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • JHoelck0928
    Options

I would increase slowly. I would try 200 a week for four weeks, that should be slow enough you shouldn't see as big a gain in the beginning.

Thank you so much for the advice! :)
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    I just checked and Dan's not been around for about 5 hours, may be at work. He always gets back to people as soon as he gets chance. Read the group posts in the meantime and hope it helps further.

There is a large network of people on here using the road map.

Send a friend request if you want :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much!!! :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you've been netting 800-1100 a day and have been yo-yo'ing around in weight, your metabolism could be crap from eating such a small amount over a long period of time. I'm only mentioning this because when you increase your calories to where they should be, you will probably put on a small amount of weight as your metabolism adjusts back to where it should be. Just don't freak out about it.
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    If you've been netting 800-1100 a day and have been yo-yo'ing around in weight, your metabolism could be crap from eating such a small amount over a long period of time. I'm only mentioning this because when you increase your calories to where they should be, you will probably put on a small amount of weight as your metabolism adjusts back to where it should be. Just don't freak out about it.

Thanks! Yeah it's been two weeks of netting 800-1100. So I will keep that in mind!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

QFT

Give it time to level back off. Maybe don't even weigh yourself for the first week or two if scale fluctuations bother you.
  • JHoelck0928
    Options

QFT

Give it time to level back off. Maybe don't even weigh yourself for the first week or two if scale fluctuations bother you.

Yeah I'm definitely not weighing myself for a while! I am just going to stick to it and see how I'm doing in a month.