HELP! I think SUGAR may be murdering my Success!

Options
I keep going over my daily sugar allotment....but a LOT. I try not to eat sugary things, but even the healthiest things I eat are apparently sugary. I've been told artificial sweeteners do more harm than good, and also that it is best to use real sugar in moderation. I try my hardest to not load up on sugar (when I'm sticking to my plan), but I always go over. Any tips? Btw lately because of certain medication I have been taking, I crave more sweets, but if you look at my diary, I eat things like whole wheat cereal (with sugar that is kinda inevitable), and yogurt. And PLEASE don't tell me to just change everything to fruits and veggies--I WANT to, but I still live at home (but I'll be heading to college soon), and my parents only buy a SMALL variety of things (mostly unhealthy) and if they buy fruit or veggies, I get constantly taunted about how they'll probably rot by the time I eat them. Anyway--the main point here is that I really need your help (:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You have 92lbs to lose. Calories are what is important for weight loss. The rest are more pertinent to body composition.

Also, I don't track my sugar intake and haven't had any issues.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private- we can't see what you've logged.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want to eat and hit your calorie number. Feel free to delete the sugar category from your tracking, as it makes no difference. I only track cals, protein, and fiber.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It would help if you open your diary so we could see the types of choices you're making.

I don't find that sugar itself is a problem (I'm assuming you're not diabetic or IR) but when I don't get enough protein or fat, so by default I have a lot of sugar/carbs, I find myself on a cravings rollercoaster that makes me ultimately end up going over my calories or be miserable staying within them. But, I don't actually think it's the sugar so much as the lack of protein and fat.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want to eat and hit your calorie number. Feel free to delete the sugar category from your tracking, as it makes no difference. I only track cals, protein, and fiber.
    I really like your ticker picture.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar doesnt affect weight loss... calories do. You dont need to track sugar. If you get cravings from the sugar, its one thing but it shouldn't slow down weight loss. If you are struggling to see weight loss, i would evaluate the number of calories you do/dont eat and your exercise routine if you have one.
  • greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    And PLEASE don't tell me to just change everything to fruits and veggies--I WANT to, but I still live at home (but I'll be heading to college soon), and my parents only buy a SMALL variety of things (mostly unhealthy) and if they buy fruit or veggies, I get constantly taunted about how they'll probably rot by the time I eat them. Anyway--the main point here is that I really need your help (:

This, I think, is so sad. You want to eat healthy but your parents put up roadblocks. Ugh. So wrong on many levels.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Have lost over 300 lbs. and never tracked a single gram of sugar. Watch your Caloric intake set it with a modest deficit and get moving will pretty much guarantee your success. Best of Luck
  • Piercep5
    Piercep5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keeping your total calorie intake consistent is really important. Another really helpful tool is cardio. It was very easy for me to lose weight when I was doing 30-60 minutes of light cardio everyday (just slightly out of breath). Start very easy like slow walking and add slightly more time/speed each day.
  • drobinson12
    Options
    When purchasing items try to keep the grams per serving 10mg or below and that will help you keep sugar down. Sugar is my weakness to so for the next 30 days I am doing my best is really limit my sugar intake - when you do you will see the pounds roll off. Good Luck
  • justjo83
    justjo83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If your whole sugar amount comes from like candy, bars etc. then yeah it's probably not a good thing. It really is about what comes with the sugar an apple has anywhere from 8-17 g of sugar which is over half of my sugar intake. But its more natural sugars, and you're getting fibre with it and other nutrietns. Its so hard to not eat sugar or carbs I go over mine every day with just fruits and veggies sometimes. So just limit the junk and if you're going over dont worry about it just focus on the other aspects such as calories etc. Good Luck!
  • justjo83
    justjo83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my sweet cravings by following phase one of South Beach for 2 weeks.
  • bermequeen
    bermequeen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but I usually go over because of fruit.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You have 92lbs to lose. Calories are what is important for weight loss. The rest are more pertinent to body composition.

yup yup yup!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar because things like fruit and yogurt were putting me over every day. Look more at sodium.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i always go over sugar, even eating fruit. i just removed it from the diary and track other things instead. no big deal
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm over my sugar every day and have still lost. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
  • knelson422
    Options
    I have noticed for myself that if the sugars I intake are from a couple pieces of fruit, not processed sugar, then I am still losing. For me it is not calories, but sugar that matters. I don't like really high fat foods to begin with, but have a killer sweet tooth. If I eat mostly veggies, some protein, and a few fruits, some nuts, I lose. If I eat more sugar, I stay the same, no matter what my calorie intake is. This is just what I have noticed with myself, could be the same for you. Some of us are more sensitive to sugar. Good luck!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

^^^
    This