HELP! I think SUGAR may be murdering my Success!

Options
2»

Replies

• JustThriveCo
    Options
    I don't just have a sweet tooth, ALL my teeth are sweet! So, I can relate to your dilemma, I used to crave sugar like CRAAAAZY!

The good news is that you are moving away to college soon and can start controlling the food in your environment!

Because, contrary to many of the opinions here CALORIES don't matter ... NUTRITIONAL CONTENT does!

Your body can thrive on very low calories if those calories contain every single bit of nutrition your body needs ... and best of all ... the sugar cravings simply disappear when the nutrition is there.

Focus on feeding your body's cells and removing toxins from your environment and your body NOT counting calories, and your body will simply stop craving the bad stuff.

I used to HAVE to eat dessert after every meal ... now, it has become an infrequent treat. I just don't want it.

I NEVER thought I'd be able to say that!!!
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree that it may be best to just stop looking at your sugar intake. I'm over on sugar pretty frequently, too, but it's primarily the sugars that are in fruits. I was always going over my fiber allotment for the day, too, but I know that was wrong because adults should strive for 25-30 grams of fiber every day. Do you have a job? If so, you could spend some of your money towards healthy cereals that have less (or no) added sugar. It's January, so... I assume you'll be starting in the fall. You could always try to get out and move around a little more, or find small ways to spend more time on your feet, such as when you're talking on the phone. If all else fails, maybe you can talk to your parents and ask them about their own health, and help them to become more conscious of that, for the good of the entire family. If they're always buying unhealthy food, perhaps they should get checkups. Reality checks work really well for people who need to make a change in their lives.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what other people here have said, I have noticed with me that sugar is 100% a factor in my weight loss. If I do not watch my sugar I do not lose or I lose very slowly. If I keep watch on my sugar I tend to lose faster and larger amounts (Im at a 5.7 lb loss for the past month). I believe it has to do with my genetics. I am not a doctor, but this is what I have observed with my own body.

Sugar is in most everything that is processed or easy. I try to get most of my sugar from fruit or use a natural alternative (maple syrup, honey, or stevia). I've pretty much eliminated alot of the junk that was getting in my way. I eat mostly non-processed homemade foods.

I would try monitoring it for a few weeks and see if it helps.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar because of diabetes, then you should be watching your total carbs. Ignore sugar because total carbs is what is going to tell you all you need to know for that. But listen to the people above me because if you are trying to lose weight and dont have glucose issue then you need to watch those calories. Best of luck :)
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Umm I am not sure why people are telling you that your Sugar intake doesn't matter because it ABSOLUTELY does matter! Everyone has a different body and some people can eat sugars and their metabolism allows them to break it down faster and others cannot do that! I am one of those people, BREAD and SUGAR are my bad things, I gain like no other! My nutritionist agrees and told me so! You are suppose to take in more fats in a day than sugars! Listen to your body if that is the one thing you are eating a lot of and you aren't losing THATS WHATS KILLING YOUR PROGRESS! Being healthy isn't just HITTING YOUR CALORIE GOAL its what you put into your body!
  • amihalik88
    Options
    Do not count the sugar in milk (it's a lot - 12 grams in only one cup!). Your body metabolizes lactose differently than table sugar, it's not nearly as harmful to your health and it's totally worth the calcium. Also, don't count the sugar coming from vegetables or fruits - they are natural. You should only be looking out for added sugars, like table sugar, anything that's packaged or from a bakery (it's almost always just added table sugar), pop, or juice. Juice is different than fruit because one cup of orange juice has the same amount of sugar as about 8 oranges which no one would ever normally eat in one sitting anyway...then to make matters worse, it has none of the fiber to slow the absorption of all that sugar into your bloodstream...so it wreaks havoc on your blood sugar the same as can of pop would. Women should try and keep their added sugars below 20 grams a day (about 4 tsps) and men keep it to under 39 grams (about 7-8 tsps). I am always at 60 or 80 grams of sugar because I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit everyday and have a cup or two of milk everyday for calcium. Even diabetics are allowed milk, vegetables and smaller amounts of fruit. Whenever you eat something processed and packaged, look at the nutrition facts for whatever serving you have and keep a mental note by adding it up through the day and try to stay around or under 20.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Contrary to what other people here have said, I have noticed with me that sugar is 100% a factor in my weight loss. If I do not watch my sugar I do not lose or I lose very slowly. If I keep watch on my sugar I tend to lose faster and larger amounts (Im at a 5.7 lb loss for the past month). I believe it has to do with my genetics. I am not a doctor, but this is what I have observed with my own body.

Sugar is in most everything that is processed or easy. I try to get most of my sugar from fruit or use a natural alternative (maple syrup, honey, or stevia). I've pretty much eliminated alot of the junk that was getting in my way. I eat mostly non-processed homemade foods.

I would try monitoring it for a few weeks and see if it helps.

If its sugar from processed foods that are preventing your weight loss or slowing it down, its probably not the sugar its the sodium. High sodium items make you retain water. If you want to experiment for a month, maintain your calories but substitute some of your calories for additional fruits.
  • Steverino1955
    Options
    Sugar can definitely hinder your weight loss. Simple carbs spike your hormone levels resulting in a cascade of events causing you to store fat. Get your sugars from complex carbs as much as possible to avoid this pitfall. You can Google this and get much better explanations than I can provide here.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    small tip: in terms of your yogurt, try Kroger /King Soopers brand yogurt, "Carbmaster" - its low in sugar, higher in protein!! It helps me keep my protein up and simple carbs down. and It tastes as good as any other yogurt. Or try plain greek yogurt...less sugar and a TON of protein in a serving...if you can stand the unique taste of the greek stuff.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get rid of all processed sugars, eat only 2 servings of fruit a day, and up the veggie intake!

Sugar can prevent fat loss, but chances are it's not the only thing- limiting it can't hurt though!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar can definitely hinder your weight loss. Simple carbs spike your hormone levels resulting in a cascade of events causing you to store fat. Get your sugars from complex carbs as much as possible to avoid this pitfall. You can Google this and get much better explanations than I can provide here.

This is partially true. Sugar can cause spikes in your hormones and cause hungry but the only time you store anything as fat is when calories in > calories out.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    ...Because, contrary to many of the opinions here CALORIES don't matter ... NUTRITIONAL CONTENT does!

Your body can thrive on very low calories if those calories contain every single bit of nutrition your body needs ... and best of all ... the sugar cravings simply disappear when the nutrition is there.

Focus on feeding your body's cells and removing toxins from your environment and your body NOT counting calories, and your body will simply stop craving the bad stuff...

:noway: