Finally got the nerve to say hello :)

Options
I joined MFP somewhere in the first week of this month. I have been logging my food from my phone since then and have been very pleased with the whole app. Just recently I logged on my computer and have been browsing the message boards and have liked what I have read. The encouragement and high fives around here are amazing and very motivating for me. So here's some info about me. I'm 34 and have 5 children. They are 15, 14, (grrr lol) 12, 9 and 8. I work as a surgical tech and I cover a call schedule from 7 pm to 7 am .Sometimes I work all night and more often I don't have to work at all and just sit home waiting for the phone to ring. When I work its very active, lots of walking (sometimes running lol ) standing, lifting, twisting, turning and such which is fantastic except like I said , I can go days at a time without going in. So when I am home my mind thinks I need to sit here and rest in case I do have to pull an all nighter, I sleep when my kids are at school and so I'm backwards on everything. This has made me completely lazy :(

So around the Holidays I ended up on my moms scale at her house and was SHOCKED to see that I had hit the 200 mark! WHAT?? I'm 5'3 and never did I think I weighed that much, it devastated me. So I decided that with the new year I was going to make some changes, big time! Being from the south, fried food and sweet tea are what I lived on. So I decided the first of January, no more fried foods, white flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, soda and red meat. I was never one to go for chicken or turkey, I always preferred a rib eye with a over stuffed baked potato. What I do LOVE are any and every fruit and veggie known to man. I also started buying cases of water and stopped making tea (kids don't like this) and went from never drinking bottled water to going through a case a week. I started by writing in a new journal and then I found this app on my pone after hearing a friend talk about it. SOOO very glad I did! I'm in love with the app and it really helps to see what I'm eating. I'm now eating lean ground turkey, deli sliced chicken breast, egg whites and such things all because I search calorie and fat content and have to say I stay full and happy.

So now I'm ready to make friends and get even more motivated ! This is not something I want to do for a few months, I want to be able to do this for LIFE! Thanks for your time and excited to be involved with people going through the same things as myself !

Replies

• mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Welcome! I am so happy you wrote your introduction. Would love to be friends and go through this journey together!
  • crowell823
    crowell823 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesmeness! The people here are great! Keep up the good work and it will pay off in the long run...the small changes can sometimes be the biggest! Good Luck!
  • shaykennedy5
    Options
    I am new as well, just started a week ago and by just doing what I normally do and using the app I am down 8lbs! :) I find I have tons more energy and am able to do and "want" to do more!!
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, feel free to add me to your friends list.
  • dreamer2452
    dreamer2452 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    welcome, yeah the holidays was my wake up call to start working out and fix my diet. I stopped drinking soda about 3 weeks ago now and i dont miss it. I started making tea as well. My new favorite thing is moraccan mint green tea
  • Ilikeyoursleeves
    Ilikeyoursleeves Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Glad to meet you!
  • eatandexercise1
    eatandexercise1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in the South as well, also trying to be healthier. Good luck on your journey!
  • krystalwoodruff
    Options
    Hello :) Congratulations on your success thus far....I am just starting my journey to be healthy and decided to check the message boards....I am so nervous to start this journey but I am very encouraged in knowing that I am not the only one to have struggles....I know it will take having a lot of support so I am here for your support if wanted and needed :happy:
  • Brittany4212
    Brittany4212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you! :)
  • cjowell
    cjowell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I joined last July and then quit and started back up the last week in December! I would love to be added to your friends list. I have found the more friends you have on here the more encouragement!
  • JessicaNWelton
    JessicaNWelton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I'm new to this too! I just started probably 2 weeks ago. I really love this app, and I learn new things just about everytime I'm logged in. So glad you joined...Good luck!!! :-)
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    You are doing great . Congrats
  • stina412
    Options
    YAY! see, this is why I love this place :love:
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! The people here are great motivators :smile:
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I was a sweet tea and grits gal myself prior to losing the weight...I went from 234 to 140 and can offer some encouragement and motivation along your weight loss journey. You can add me as a friend as well.
  • stina412
    Options
    Thank you all so very much!!