Olive Garden?

Options
ron2282
ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
I am taking my mom out to lunch at Olive Garden for mothers day next weekend. This has been our tradition for as long as I can remember, but I've never paid attention attention to the nutritional values before. I haven't gone out to eat much since I've changed my eating habits, because I know it's much easier to eat healthy when I'm doing the cooking. I want to be able to enjoy some time with my mom and still stay within my limits.

I know anything with Alfredo sauce is not an option. :sad: But I can deal with that. I have to keep in mind that this is LUNCH only, I will still be making dinner that night. Maybe soup and salad?

I'm up for any suggestions you may have. Thanks!!!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    looks like they offer some grilled options. Ask for it with no salt-tell her they can add seasonings, just no extra salt.
    Order the salmon grilled-I get this when I HAVE to go to OG
    side steamed veggies
    baked potato
    salad with the dressing on the side. If you look at the menu the salad is 360 calories and like 20 g of fat!!!

The worst part about Olive Garden is the sodium. I bloated up like a puffer fish until I started asking for grilled items with no SALT. and the food tastes better to me now!!

Oh and have fun. Dont make a big deal out of your diet, just order like any other time........but this time better foods!!

WTG on the poundage gone for evah!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

and now I want the venitan apricot chicken!!
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well, I know they have a chicken dish that is really good that is like 350 - 400 cals...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The parmesan crusted tilapia is awesome!

Tips to survive (and even enjoy) the meal:

Ask for a to-go box with your food. Put half your meal in it immediately. Portion control AND yummy leftovers
    Stick to 1 breadstick
    Avoid the salad or ask for dressing on the side
    Drink water only
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    The parmesan crusted tilapia is awesome!

Tips to survive (and even enjoy) the meal:

Ask for a to-go box with your food. Put half your meal in it immediately. Portion control AND yummy leftovers
    Stick to 1 breadstick
    Avoid the salad or ask for dressing on the side
    Drink water only

Yeah we can have fun AND be hawties!!! WOOT!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Well, I know they have a chicken dish that is really good that is like 350 - 400 cals...

looks like the apricot chicken...........drool!
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The last time I went I had two bowls of Chicken Gnocci Soup... no salad or bread. It was rather filling actually... =) ... It is about 250 calories a bowl. So, you could have one bowl and a salad if you want.

=D
  • marybethbeech
    marybethbeech Posts: 181
    Options
    Last time I went I had the minestrone soup. It is only 100 calories a bowl and delicious! I used the rest of the calories snacking on appetizers and bread sticks (which are 150 calories each, so watch out for them!)
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: the parmesan crusted tilapia too! I never really get to eat the pasta, but the fish is heaven!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    venitan apricot chicken is awesome!!! stay away from the salad the dressing in it is a KILLER!!! and the ministrone soup is awesome too!!!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i worked there for 3 years, and honestly - i would say to make this a treat day or something. There are a few menu items that are lower in calories and fat. Not sure if they still have the apricot chicken dish, but it's the lowest in calories and healthier for restaurant food.

one breadstick with the garlic butter and salt is around 200-300 cals itself, depending on how much the person slathers on. I know the links are saying 150, but no freaking way. It was 140 without the butter. I don't really get the 150 cals to be honest, and I think it's more than that. The salad dressing is high in fat, but you can ask for the light option. minestrone soup is the lowest in calories and fat (if you're going the soup/salad/breadsticks route)

if ordering a meal, make sure to ask for lunch time portions since it's a weekend and holiday, at least here in canada, they will be giving you the dinner menu. perhaps ask for a lunch menu because there are items on the dinner menu that don't come in lunch size portions. Or pack half of it up, as others have suggested.

I quit two years ago, so some things may have changed and different areas have different items. And perhaps they have more lower calorie entrees.
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    I went there last week and had the Apricot Venetian Chicken - by far the lowest in calories and fat grams. Ask for their low fat italian dressing on the side of the salad, as their house dressing has a huge amount of fat in it. I think the bread sticks have 2 grams of fat and 150 calories, so stick to one bread stick, or even eat half of one and take the other half home!
    The meal was very filling for me and it was nice to enjoy a meal out, having preplanned for it using thier online nutritional guide!
  • ron2282
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: The apricot chicken is my favorite so I'm glad it's on the healthier side!
  • vfrasier
    vfrasier Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually had lunch at Olive Garden yesterday. I had lunch portion of lasagna. It was 290 calories. Not too bad but a little too much fat. It was delicious. I don't think it was that bad, because I don't make a habit of it. If you ever go at night, you can request a lunch portion, which is 1/2 the dinner portion, or if you have enough will power, order dinner portion and eat half and take the other half home for another meal.
  • ron2282
    Options
    I was able to behave myself and still have a great lunch with my mom. I had the minestrone soup, one bread stick (no extra sauces) and 1/2 of a lunch portion of the Venetian Apricot Chicken all for only 330 calories. As much as it broke my heart to not get an alcoholic drink, I stuck with water.

Happy Mothers Day everyone!!!!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The last time I went I had two bowls of Chicken Gnocci Soup... no salad or bread. It was rather filling actually... =) ... It is about 250 calories a bowl. So, you could have one bowl and a salad if you want.

=D

I love the Chicken Gnocci Soup... seriously one of the best. I tried to make it at home... a healthier version at that & it was horrible - LOL