Too much fiber?

Options
dragonfly__
dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
My food tracker only give me 14 grams of fiber a day and if I go over it shows my overage in red like it is a warning. I did not realize that there was a fiber limit, always seemed to me with all it's benefits it would be "the more the merry". Any thoughts or opinions?

Replies

• Killeen_bride2be
    Options
    I hope too much isn't that bad for you because I take 2 fiber chewables, fiber 1 cereal, a fiber bar and normal fiber in food everyday just to stay well 'regular', I hope I am not messing up my body. Keep me posted please. Plus how much fiber are you eating?

P.S. sorry if I grossed anyone out
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    MFP gives way too low of a number for fibre. Women should be getting approximately about 25g and men about 35g per day.

To add to this, I went and added 25g to my daily through the manual link.
  • jenwillbthin
    Options
    She's right on with the amount of fiber. (20-35) I just read about it in Family Circle magazine that if you are (sorry) feeling constipated though to much fiber actually worsens symptoms like bloating and stomach pains. They say for that the best action is exercise. (Just an FYI I know you weren't really asking about that.
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a fiber junkie and easily triple my fiber recommendation. I recently read that if you do not couple fiber with enough daily water, you will get constipated. If you are drinking enough water each day, the fiber will be processed correctly by your body.

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Erg-Foo/Fiber.html
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Colon cancer runs in my family. My GI doctor suggests I get between 35-40g per day.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Fiber is great for ya!!! I dont look at the fiber or protein, I try to increase those. I only watch the calories and sodium! Its hard to stay within on sodium :grumble: I also take a fiber suppliment.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Fiber is great for ya!!! I dont look at the fiber or protein, I try to increase those. I only watch the calories and sodium! Its hard to stay within on sodium :grumble: I also take a fiber suppliment.

OMG, yes! I have edema, and sodium is absolutely the BANE of my existence! They put it in EVERYTHING! Grrr... I have ranted about it in my blog several times and come up with some strategies for cutting it back that are working pretty well.

But I agree with everyone else. Colon cancer is a problem in my family, too. I have my fiber set at 25g, and I'm actually pretty happy with myself when I go a bit over. Of course, I also drink MINIMUM 8c of water a day. (And I up it to 10c when I go over on sodium!)
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    I've been tracking my fiber as well and a lot of foods are not adding fiber to them. It's interesting to see what foods are now containing fiber. I just purchased a jar of blackberry unsweetened jam that boast "now with fiber". Taste pretty good.
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options