Is there any way to get your period without getting fatter?

Soooo....1 week before my period my weight loss stalls. Then two days before I get the appetite of a monster and the cravings of a pregnant lady which leads me to eat an ungodly amount. On top of that I'm retaining a ton of water and when my period finally does come I'm a balloon...a very sad balloon :(

Replies

• dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Try tracking your sodium and keep it lower than normal.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    I find that cutting out any sodas (diet or regular) and all caffeine helps me reduce the bloat and water retention. When you get ravenous try drinking a full glass of water and waiting 10-15 minutes. Water can also help you with retaining weight. :) May not solve the entire problem, but see if that works for you!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Other than the over eating part which is strictly will power the weight you gain is just water retention not fat.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    hormones are cruel. I don't even bother looking in the mirror or weighing myself around my period. I wait a whole week until it's over to weight or measure. :)
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    you dont get 'fatter'. you just swell because your body retains more fluids. it goes away... don't count it as real weight gain.
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Pretty much what victoriannsay said. I control cravings by doing extra workouts.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    drink way more water than normal, you will be peeing like a race horse but that is how you get rid of water weight.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    There was a really good thread on here recently about eating more when having a period. The gist of it was, the body is working harder to do waht it has to do, so the base line metabolic rate/calories burned is higher, hence the increased hunger.
    I say don't stress, try not to go overboard, and don't weigh in that week :)

Good luck!
  • Water retention is a symptom of PMS and I get the same thing -

'Supplements for PMS
    Check with your doctor before taking any type of supplement, including herbal supplements, and make sure that you follow instructions on dosage. Complementary therapies should be viewed as a medicine and should be treated with the same respect. Supplements that may help reduce PMS symptoms include calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6 (in doses less than 100 mg) and vitamin E.'

I tried daily supplements as described above and it significantly reduced the amount of fluid I retained leading up to my period. Good luck :-)
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Soooo....1 week before my period my weight loss stalls. Then two days before I get the appetite of a monster and the cravings of a pregnant lady which leads me to eat an ungodly amount. On top of that I'm retaining a ton of water and when my period finally does come I'm a balloon...a very sad balloon :(

Up your B6 intake. I find that it really helps to limit the PMS symptoms - the cravings and the hormone surges. Keep tracking, and it will be easier, mostly because you know better when those days are on the horizon (because most of us don't want to think about it before it happens), and then you can plan better.