Emotional Eating Help?

Hello, everyone. I've been trying to lose weight for a few months; I haven't gotten very far weight loss wise because I've been learning and adjusting all the time(which is good!), but something I've not been able to conquer is emotional eating. I generally don't go overboard with emotional eating in terms of quantity, but if I'm stressed and I'm in my dining hall (I'm a college student) and see someone eating something that's unhealthy but delicious, all my previously made plans go out the window and I have to eat the unhealthy thing. My biggest problem has been french fries; I just can't think of any healthier food that's a good substitute or would satisfy me in the same way. Some foods I've been able to cut out like desserts with fruit, but I can't think of anything for fattier foods except nuts. (which I am not fond of)

My emotional eating is a really bad habit and although I recognize it, I can't seem to stop it. Does anybody have any tips? I already plan out my meals, but eating with other people who aren't on the same boat does not help my situation at all and I don't know how to get past it. Thanks for reading. :)

Replies

• svtrich
    svtrich Posts: 24
    I know when I was working Id find my self at the vending machine getting candy bars . then I changed the candy bars for apples. I keep a whole bag of apples in my tool box so every time I got hungary Id have something healthy to snack on. get some carrots,celery,fruit or something good for you and you'll get threw the tough times. Im sure your Mom told you,its harded when you get older. best of luck,you can do it:bigsmile:
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    You know, the way you describe it sounds more like a social eating problem than an emotional one. Or maybe a little bit of both. Are you starving when you go into the dining hall? It's next to impossible to make good choices when you are really hungry, especially when the people around you are indulging.
  • I agree that it could be a social situation challenge and when we are hungry or tired we can fall into what the group is consuming not realizing until later that we slipped.
    I have a really great recipe for cauliflower popcorn but would have to find it if you would like it as a replacement food for fries. I am a dietary technician with an award winning book on the topics of "Why We Eat" including cravings, habits, treats, rewards, emotional eating, challenging situations, challenging people etc. google Beth Castle if you wish to read more and get free tips from my blog or want to contact me for the cauliflower popcorn recipe. Hugs and support. Just saw Oprah last nite too!
    Beth Castle (hope to help)
  • I found the Recipe for cauiflower popcorn
    Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 10m| Total Time: 40m

Ingredients
    1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    kosher salt

Directions
    1.Heat oven to 400° F.
    2.In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
    3.Roast, stirring once, until golden brown and tender, about 30 minutes.
    online By Sara Quessenberry

hope this helps. Beth Castle