Think I'm ready to try -20% TDEE, but scared!

Options
Hello! I have not been a member for very long, but I've been avidly reading all of the information available on MFP that I possibly can. Reading about people's success with using -20 % TDEE has inspired me to try this path and give it an honest shot. After going through the body fat calcs and determining my BMR, I should be around 1700 calories a day, and not the 1200 "prescribed" by MFP. Since I've only just started my weight loss journey, is it okay for me to take the leap with -20% TDEE right away or is there something I should initially do before trying this?

Clearly, I have issues in my relationship with food because this number is just freaking me out. 1700 calories? Really? I trust the methodology but I just can't get beyond my suspicion at being able to lose weight with this calorie intake.

Thanks in advance for giving any help/insight to this newbie!

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You're two steps ahead if you start off on the right foot! Do it, 1700 isn't that many cals, believe me, my BMR is higher than that right now :)

When I'm tracking my food (I tend to lapse at times due to laziness) I lose 2 pounds a week eating 20% below my TDEE
  • timetoletgo
    timetoletgo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i JUST read this.....i'm going to email him to find out a bit more. good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865024-1200-and-why-it-won-t-work
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump will read later
  • sheribriggs28
    sheribriggs28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there.

Let me assure you that you are making the right choice. I also was scared to try this after stalling forever! I didn't understand why the scale wouldn't budge for the longest time, no matter what I did. I then tried this method almost 2 weeks ago and I am losing again! Not to mention I feel better!

Trust me, you are making a good choice!
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My -20% Is also 1700cals. But I don't understand if we eat 1700 cals and also eat back our exercise calories? Or do we not eat cals back if we use TDEE? I don't understand what is going on with the TDEE stuff either.
  • kgal41
    kgal41 Posts: 17
    Options
    My -20% Is also 1700cals. But I don't understand if we eat 1700 cals and also eat back our exercise calories? Or do we not eat cals back if we use TDEE? I don't understand what is going on with the TDEE stuff either.

Ahhhhh! I didn't even think of exercise calories!! I'll go back and search for an answer to this. In the meantime, maybe someone can throw an answer out for us?
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    when you set up your TDEE (check out scoobys calculator, it's my favorite) you put in how much exercise you're doing each day/week. That way it takes into account how much activity you're doing and so your TDEE Should include your exercise cals so you do not eat them back if you're doing the -20% from your TDEE
  • kgal41
    kgal41 Posts: 17
    Options
    when you set up your TDEE (check out scoobys calculator, it's my favorite) you put in how much exercise you're doing each day/week. That way it takes into account how much activity you're doing and so your TDEE Should include your exercise cals so you do not eat them back if you're doing the -20% from your TDEE

Thank you! :flowerforyou: