Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

Options
deanjou59
deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
Hi guys! I found this recipe on skinnytaste and just made it over the weekend! It is SO good that I wanted to share. It is very easy to make, yummy, budget friendly, and filling :)
It is a bit spicy- but I really liked the spice!!!

Hope you enjoy it if you try it!

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra points).

Replies

• mmyers1129
    mmyers1129 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Whats your serving size like how would you put that into mfp?
  • mmyers1129
    mmyers1129 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    nvm i see the 1 1/4 cup sry
  • deanjou59
    Options
    Not a problem at all my dear :) As far as putting it into MFP- use the recipe section. This makess 10 servings!

I hope this helps :)
  • Kalbe17
    Kalbe17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mmmmm that looks so good. I'm going to try it!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Have made this twice, once with leftover turkey and the second time with chicken. Needless to say I am a fan. Just had a serving for lunch and you are so right, it is filling.
  • deanjou59
    Options
    :) It is filling! I love that!

I am a fan too!
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I kept seeing this in your diary and wondered about it! I'll have to try it sometime! :)
  • fungirl1234
    Options
    id add either avocado into it or black olives
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I made this about 2 weeks ago and it is delicious! I'm going to make it again this weekend, but I'm going to make my own taco seasoning to help reduce the sodium content.
  • bruningk78
    bruningk78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds amazing!! Sooo gonna make this.....love using my crock pot. Thanks for the recipe! :happy:
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    bumping to keep as a bookmark :)

Sounds delicious!
  • mperales00
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Skinnytaste.com has so many good recipes - and quite a few crockpot ones as well.
  • mbacheld72
    Options
    Thank you! I'm always looking for something new to make. I'm going to make it this weekend. It sounds great!!!
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Ths is one of my go-to favorites for the week. But I made some changes to reduce the sodium content and add more veggies and flavor and protein...
    Modified Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili:

1 onion, chopped
    4-6 garlic cloves, diced or minced
    1 16-oz can black beans – Drained & rinsed
    1 16-oz can kidney beans – Drained & rinsed
    1 16-oz can tomato puree, low sodium. Make sure only ingredient is tomatoes.
    2 15oz diced tomatos - Chili Style OR for lower sodium you can use 2C of chicken or veggie stock instead with more roma tomatoes and seasoning to make up the difference.
    4 roma tomatoes cut in chunks
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    4 carrots sliced
    4 cellery stalks sliced
    1 green bell pepper diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    3 green onion diced
    ½ taco seasoning packet (or make your own for lower sodium)
    1-2T chili powder
    1 Jalapeno pepper – diced
    3T cornstarch
    1 drop of Daves Insanity Sauce OR a chopped habanero pepper.
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
    (you could use a meaty ham bone instead of the chicken which gives the chili an awesome smokey flavor)

Directions: Sauté onion for 5 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for another minute. Whisk tomato puree, seasonings and cornstarch together. Combine beans, corn, tomatoes, celery, carrots, peppers and onion/garlic mixture in a 7QT slow cooker. If you have a 5QT slow cooker, you may need to leave the beans out and stir them in afterwards (since they are already cooked). Top with sauce mixture. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.

In a bowl I toss some spinach and add 1.5 cups of chili, then heat up in microwave. I serve mine with a homemade whole wheat corn muffin (I like to dice mine up and mix in with the soup).

Whole Wheat Corn Muffin:
    1 3/4 cups stone ground cornmeal
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    8oz can cream corn

Directions: Line 15 muffin tins with paper liners and grease each paper liner. Preheat oven to 425°. Combine the meal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. IN another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and cooled melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned and firm to a light touch.

The soup is about 300 calories per serving plus 100 calories for the corn muffin.
  • ljmabouttown
    Options
    Curious about what you used to make your own seasoning, I'd like to try that but don't want to use the packaged spices.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YUM! THANKS!~