Going Out To Dinner

Options
Hi.

I'm going out to eat with friends this evening, and I'm scared! I have 626 Calories left to eat today. I'm afraid of not being able to verify the calorie count in front of me.

I regret making these plans but I'm also excited to get out of the house and see these particular friends.

It's an intimate dinner, 5 friends at a nice restaurant.

Tips on eating out? I know what foods to focus on, but I'm still nervous!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    steak, or some other protein, and some veg. You can't go wrong there. Avoid cream sauces, and breading, and when they bring the bread basket say: I'm saving myself for the good stuff! I find that saying: I'm saving myself, you sound decadent not dieting. Folks tend to leave you alone.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would check and see if the resturant you are going to has a menu and/or nutrional info on their website. This can help you plan what you may want to eat and know what may look like a healthy choice but is really not. Drink water instead of soda or alcohol to cut calories. Otherwise enjoy the meal and don't beat yourself up for going over a bit if you do.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    enjoy yourself and eat lite tomorrow
  • littlebre33
    Options
    The way I look at it is if you go out once in a while its okay to go over a few calories and just do a little extra exercise during the week or eat a bit healthier the following days. Moderation is key, because i find when I limit myself I am too worried about how many calories is in something rather than enjoying the moments with friends!! Have a good dinner!!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    pay tonight: eat grilled salmon and salad, dressing on the side, no wine or beer...

pay tomorrow: eat well adn enjoy your friends. drop calories for 2 or 3 days by 200 per day.

Life is, in the end, menat to be lived!

Sometimes 'dinner with friends' happens!
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Steak is always a safe bet. I think 8oz is around 700 cal. Also, remember one day over or under won't torpedo your efforts. Take a look at your weekly totals and try to keep them in line.
  • jaclynZ
    jaclynZ Posts: 49
    Options
    grilled meats and veggies. no thick sauces or cream soups. look at the menu before you go, that's what i always do. that way you aren't calculating on your phone at the table for something :) no soda!
  • missability
    Options
    Order a glass of ice water, instead of juice, tea, or soda, avoid alcohol. Get a nice side salad first, dressing on side, that will help fill you before food comes. Stick with baked or broiled, steak, chicken or fish...ask if you can sub potatoes for 2 servings of veggies. Butter and sauces on side....dip a bit...no dumping lol......
    OR........................have at it, and get back on that horse tomorrow.......
  • bethbegood
    Options
    Eating out tips!

1. avoid (or at least limit) bread and most other appetizers
    2. think green! salad - veggies (order lite dressing or take your own)
    3. be aware of your portions ( I usually share a plate with hubby) I you are not sharing, portion your food into appropriate sizes and take the rest home.
    4. avoid excesive alcohol and dessert
    5. enjoy your night out! Don't stress if you indulge a little it is OK! Just don't do it at every meal - that is probably what got you into this mess you are working to get out of

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies. First of all, i had a great night with friends! a special night indeed! I dressed up for the occasion, to make sure it was special. There are no other dinners like this one schedule for the next week, so I took advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the night, but tried to stay within reason.

it was an SF-style restaurant: tapas style, small portions, 3 courses of each set, we didn't get dessert. a bottle of wine for the table, i had a glass with the food. sigh. It was a good pairing and a nice dinner out with friends i haven't seen in a while.

I ate a few olives, we all tasted each appetizer so a few bites of, well, everything. but small bites. I'm not overstuffed, or stuffed at all.

I had some beets, 2 forkfuls of pasta (one of the appetizers waas a pasta), there was one dish with potatoes, I tasted a potato, there were greens, and a piece of trout.

Probably (definitely) over the 626 limit I have, and I'm not sure how to log it in my MFP food log other than by figuring out somewhat equal items.

Either way, I indulged, without overdoing it. I'm not overly full, and I've resisted the temptation to have any sort of dessert. (made easier by the friends who also passed on the desserts)

I am so comforted by your responses - you have helped me realize that a meal at a restaurant isn't going to throw me off my goals unless i let it.

And now....I'm setting the alarm to go to the gym in the morning - and I'm psyched about it!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great night with friends and that you did a nice job of moderating... Time with great friends is good for the soul and actually helps you.

Olives: great choice and great for you.
    Trout: super lean adn protein dense.
    Beets: great.
    pasta: personally, I avoid pasta. Usually very HGI stuff but, hey, you gotta live!

All in all sounds like you enjoyed the night and are willing to pay a little extra at the gym today.

I probably would have had two glasses of wine! Red? Need your resveritol!

Good luck!
  • bethbegood
    Options
    SO HAPPY that you had a GREAT NIGHT!!! What I try to remember, this is a lifestyle change - not a diet. My biggest challenge is portion sizes. We live in a super size world and we shouldn't let a restaraunt take control and violate our self esteem.

I spent an afternoon measuring things. This really helped my confidence in portions sizes when I am not at home. I do have a food scale and that is really good at confirming my food choices at home. By 'measuring' I mean this do you know what 2 oz of cooked pasta looks like? Could you hold a cup of brocolli in your hand? How many spoons/bites make up 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup. 4 oz of meat is close to the size of a deck of cards.

I have a wonderful spouse who is very supportive. We have come up with dinning out rules for ourselves that have been helpful to us.

1. most restaraunts have menus on line - many have nutritional values on line. We plan what we want to order before we go
    2. we do not order appatizers or deserts and ask server to limit our bread to one serving.
    3. we each order a salad. We order (lite or low fat option) dressing on the side.
    4. avoid buffets and all you can eat locations
    5. we limit pasta and potatoes. If we have a baked potato we split it and consider our toppings.
    6. WE HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME. We are makeing great food choices and saving money. We don't get overstuffed. It is all good.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it, i dont think one dinner will hurt you. I have gone out to eat on the weekend and weighed in one wednesday and had lost 2 pounds. Just be sensible, pick the obvious things. Then just have a light couple of days. You will do fine!