Running in Winter

Options
Hey everyone,

Im a little new at running in the winter, and running in general. Minnesota temps have been below zero lately (-30 this week without the windchill) so I have been putting it off. Next week it's suppose to warm up though (25! lol). Anyone have any tips or advice for me? Everything will be appreciated! Thanks!

Staci

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Take a small break from running till it gets warmer? Might be your best bet.

Slower weight loss is still weight loss.
  • thisisanopantszone
    Options
    From a Canadian --
    I converted the temps from F to C, and 25F is totally do-able! I run daily in -20C (-4F) bundled up with gloves, a hat, a sweater, and leggings. Just dress for the weather and definitely cover up your ears and fingers. The wind from running is brutal on them.
    Don't use the weather as an excuse unless it's freezing rain or -50 or there's a tornado what not.
    :)
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a treadmil or indoor track? I run inside on a treadmil for now til it is warmer out.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Dress for 20 degrees above the temperature it actually is.

Wear wool socks, they have some that are specially made for running. Wool will still keep you warm even if it's wet.

Wear layers. Make sure you have a hat.

And if you start to get numbness and pain or difficulty moving your fingers and toes, get indoors!

But then I should talk, I chickened out of my usual Wednesday night run when it's a mere -4* here and went to the nice warm gym instead.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Wow that's cold! My husband and I run but the coldest it has been here the last few weeks is 27 degrees. We go early in the morning so it's normally around 30 degrees. I wear cold weather running tights with shorts over top, a cold weather running top with a wicking t-shirt and my windproof/waterproof rain jacket (it has built in mittens that are a HUGE bonus). I'm cold when we start out but warm up quickly and usually by the end I've had to unzip my jacket a little. I've read that when dressing to run outside you should dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer to make up for the heat you will produce. Hope this helps.

Oh, and I wear a fleece ear cover. Very important!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    25 is pretty much my cut off point. But in the PacNW it really doesn't get much colder than that very often.

Freezing Temp Musts For Me:

1. Running Gloves/Gloves
    2. Compression pants- MUST HAVE, really helps block the cold
    3. Something that covers my ears

Be careful of shady areas if there has been frost or ice, the shady spots will still be slick!
    Make sure to warm up and stretch before and after- your body will thank you!

eta: chapstick! and make sure to moisturize your face- cold+wind=chapping!
  • sjewell79
    sjewell79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a treadmil or indoor track? I run inside on a treadmil for now til it is warmer out.

I've heard it is easier to run on a treadmil. That when you go to the street you cant go nearly as far. Is this true?
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    The last 2 weeks here have been 20's-30's and I was comfortable running in what my profile pic shows: a hoody and gloves to keep my hands warm. I run the track at a local hs at least twice a week after dark and it gets chilly. I get enough body heat generated after about the first mile. I think 20° F is prolly my limit though, any colder and I would skip it and find another form of exercise I could do indoors.
  • thisisanopantszone
    Options
    Okay all of you are starting to make me feel like I'm insane for running in -5F.
  • stacilynn_1215
    stacilynn_1215 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Im not afraid of going out when its anything above 10, so this weekend I will definitely begin. Thanks for all the tips on clothes and such! I just bought a new asics winter headband and gloves for my ears and hands. And I have thermal tights and a long sleeve top too. So I feel prepared...just ready to finally try a new cardio workout in hopes of jumpstarting my weightloss again.

As for the treadmill, I used to do a great routine at the gym, but I cant afford the local gym here at the moment, so ive been without a good cardio workout for about 3 months :/
  • rmsturdy
    Options
    Lots and LOTS of layers that wick sweat and block the wind. I usually do:

Upper body: sports bra, drifit shirt, drifit long sleeve, light fleece pullover and a windbreaker with hood. And then mittens (I have the kind that you can pull back to expose your fingers), ear warmers/hat and if it's REALLY cold, a collar you can pull up over your face to keep your breath warm.

Lower body: leggins, shorts (my butt gets cold for some reason) and windbreaker pants with thick smart wool socks.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I've heard it is easier to run on a treadmil. That when you go to the street you cant go nearly as far. Is this true?

For me it's the other way around. I actually run farther and faster when I'm on the road versus the treadmill. I think it's because there is other stuff to distract you outside and the treadmill can be a bit tedious. I do use a very slight incline to make up for the lack of wind resistance.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Dress in layers so you can peel them off if you get to hot. You want something moisture wicking next to your body and then either a wind or thermal layer depending on what it's doing outside. Don't forget gloves and a hat, and just because it's cold doesn't mean sunglasses won't be needed.

I'm in Wisconsin so I feel your pain. Running in cold weather can actually be really refreshing. Just remember to warm up before you head out by doing some walking or jogging in place, you may also want to walk a little bit outside before you start running. Remember you should feel cool to slightly cold when you step outside, if you are toasty warm you are overdressed. Don't worry you will heat up soon enough.

Let's us know how it goes, and Happy Running.
  • weapher
    weapher Posts: 12
    Options
    Running in the cold brisk air feels great! Dress properly and remember to stretch your thighs, hamstrings, etc... prior to running and eat right to avoid muscle fatigue.

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club

If you need cardio and are limited on funds here is an app for women. (men too...) that has some awesome cardio workouts you can do at home and not pay a penny. Also, running is great but there are many full body cardio workouts you can do at home and get card and toning together.

I did a google search and within 1 minute found a fifteen minute workout that works cardio, abs, back, legs, etc...

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Home-Cardio-Workout-15-Minute-Cardio-Boot-Camp/4f/

Be creative in the cold. If is too cold then try another form of cardio. There are tons of free options you can do right in your own living room. It isn't nearly as exciting, but running in place for fifteen minutes doing high knees is a great cardio workout.

The most important thing is have fun or it becomes work... and remember, your body will respond better when you mix it up a bit.
  • stacilynn_1215
    stacilynn_1215 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do some cardio in my living room, but i try not to do too much because i live on the third floor of an apartment complex and the whole floor shakes when i jump around or anything. and our downstairs neighbor doesnt respond too happily :/
  • weapher
    weapher Posts: 12
    Options
    I do some cardio in my living room, but i try not to do too much because i live on the third floor of an apartment complex and the whole floor shakes when i jump around or anything. and our downstairs neighbor doesnt respond too happily :/

I haven't lived in apartment for almost thirty years so I guess I didn't think about that :)

Hope you can get out there soon and enjoy a good run...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    From a Canadian --
    I converted the temps from F to C, and 25F is totally do-able! I run daily in -20C (-4F) bundled up with gloves, a hat, a sweater, and leggings. Just dress for the weather and definitely cover up your ears and fingers. The wind from running is brutal on them.
    Don't use the weather as an excuse unless it's freezing rain or -50 or there's a tornado what not.
    :)

THIS!!

but with a caveat..it's not as easy for inexperienced runners to layer up and beast out the elements...but running in all conditions and all terrains will make you mentally stronger and far better equipped to handle different running conditions.