Walking?

Options
I spent a couple of hours walking around the shops today and kept a rough count of my paces. I walked about 1000 steps, at a slow pace, which according to my Wristwatch HRM means I burnt about 800 calories. When I look at the slow walks (2, 2.5, 3 mph) in the exercise database on here though, they all say I only burnt about half that number.

Has anyone else encountered this discrepancy and if so which number did you use?

Replies

• youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    800 seem VERY high for 1000 steps..I dont think you could count the whole time since you would be probley walking then stopping and looking...I was a steady 90 mins at a good steady pace with out stopping and only burn aroun 300..I sure would not count the 800..
  • kpark
    kpark Posts: 8
    Options
    Unless all the stores were up a steep hill that does seem very high.
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    i agree 800 is crazy high for that! i would not log it at all then, cause you definatly don't want to consume 800 extra calories today, cause i'd bet money you didn't burn that many. trust me i know it sucks. i always feel like i should burn more than i really did after working out! but get yourself a more accurate hrm and keep up the good work!
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That does seem high, plus I have found that the database of exercises is also high - by about 20%. This is just for me, I don't know if everyone has this problem or not, but the only way I figured it out was to wear a HRM to actually count my calories burned.

Also, I work at a busy restaurant a couple times a week and practically run for 4.5 hours, if I put this into the database it says I burn something crazy like 900 calories, but I just put in 400 to be safe. It seeems to work for me as I continue to lose on these days by counting only 400 cals.
    (oh, by the way - I wore a pedometer one night and it counted 18000+ steps for that 4.5 hours, and I still don't think I burned anywhere close to 900 cals)
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I thought 800 seemed very high as well.

I'm now very dubious about theHRM. I've worked out it actually measures arm swings rather than steps, and if your arms swings are too slow or too small then it doesn't measure them at all.

I just did another test on my elliptical trainer, walking at a slow pace and a flat level. It said I burned 7 calories for 50 steps, that seems much more realistic.