Food database. is it accurate?

Options
Have anyone come accross any foods that was the wrong calorie amount or fat etc? I took noticed the other day that after I put an item in the my fat amount was way over. when I realize it was way way to much. For example , something that had only 2.5 grams of fat and I had two was reading in the database as 50 grams of fat. I didnt bother to check before, Im wondering how many times have this happened.

Replies

• ldr0024
    ldr0024 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always double check with my labels... some are different and/or people only input the calorie and not fat/protein content! Good luck! :)
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Remember its all member submitted stuff so some of it will be innaccurate.

If its wrong you could always edit it. Ive had to edit a few things so far, thats why I always keep empty packets/containers untill I log them here to give them a quick double check.

Also if theres lots of member confirmations it will be highly likely that the information is correct.
  • kgarcia1226
    kgarcia1226 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have come across a couple of discrepancies as well. I don't think we can edit something somebody else put into the database, so I have simply entered my own into it. At least that way I know that the food I entered into my daily counter is accurate, as I have prepared it. I have a feeling that is why some foods have multiple listings yet different amounts (calories, fat, serving sizes ...).
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    I noticed when I was looking at someone else's food diary that 'alvacado' had '133' grams of fat but 1/4 alvacado had 8... Interesting. x
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have come across a couple of discrepancies as well. I don't think we can edit something somebody else put into the database, so I have simply entered my own into it. At least that way I know that the food I entered into my daily counter is accurate, as I have prepared it. I have a feeling that is why some foods have multiple listings yet different amounts (calories, fat, serving sizes ...).

You can edit any entry in the database. I am constantly needing to tweak entries usually because one little thing is off. Such as the sodium is now lower, or the fat, etc.... I always verify before adding, especially since there are SO many entries for the same item in a lot of cases.
  • aaanderson
    aaanderson Posts: 5
    Options
    Yeah, I've noticed some discrepencies too. How do you edit another person's entry? I couldn't figure it out earlier....
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    go on the food database, search for the food and theres a big green button saying "edit"

or if you are in your food diary, search for the food, and above where you specify your serving size is a lik saying "nutritional info". It will ask you info is correct. click "no" then click "edit"
  • leadman
    leadman Posts: 7
    Options
    I always cross check with the label and frequently correct entries. Every now and then I come across an item that has several validations but doesn't jive with my label. I guess the manufacturer made small changes to the product and what was once correct is now incorrect.
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As others have said there are inaccuracies - I always check items against the label the first time I use them - if it is within a few calories that is OK though.
  • sadiebelle06
    Options
    Double check the nutritional analysis before entering. If you notice any mistakes you can edit it and save the changes.