How Do You Pick Your Friends?

Options
I'm just wondering what thought process you all use to pick friends on MFP? I see some people like to keep friends with either the same caloric goals, the same weight loss goals, the same age, or the same politics.. How do your friends on here compare to your friends IRL? I don't think I have the same dietary goals as any of my real-life friends--I don't even think I really have any obese friends (weird when I think of it).

With that in mind, what about your friend policies? I've seen things like people who will not friend those eating under 1200, no friends who miss a week of logging, etc. How did you arrive at this?

I'm just building up friends now, but I'm just going with a mix of these things--really just people who seem nice and supportive. I think I'd get a little scared to unfriend someone because I'm worried they will come back in a month and not have anyone. =(

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I pick mine based on how sensible they are, how awesome they are, and if they act like the majority of people in this world.

I like having friends who post a lot, who log on often, and keep to what they are doing, we all stumble and fall, and that's where we can help pick each other up when we stumble!
  • Johnni0923
    Johnni0923 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Boy, I never really thought about this. You bring up some good points. I look forward to see what others say. For me, anyone who wanted to chat I am open to. I have only a few friends, and I have been guilty of going off line for a few months. Just back now and I like it. I feel better knowing others are out there trying to improve their health.

Good luck and keep on trying, making lifestyle changes are hard, we are all a work in progress.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It seems I tend to go with freinds that do the same workout type video's or other fitness related work outs. I like freinds that are supportive and also help keep me on my toes.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I pick mine based on how sensible they are, how awesome they are, and if they act like the majority of people in this world.

I like having friends who post a lot, who log on often, and keep to what they are doing, we all stumble and fall, and that's where we can help pick each other up when we stumble!

Well said!! Oh, except I sorta like the occasional odd duck to mix it up!!!
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love friends that are supportive and will pick each other up if we fall or stumble. To me it doesn't matter if you are trying to lose 5lbs or 100+ lbs. Being talkative helps too. I will say that I do go through and delete people if they haven't been online in a month or more. To me, if it's been that long, you have given up.

I myself am finally restarting my journey. I lost 40lbs before I got pregnant and just recently got that kick to get fully serious about getting to where I want to be again.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Ill add anyone who makes me laugh or says something particularly intelligent in the forums. Ill accept requests from anyone who isn't a straight up perv.

You can be a bit of a perv. You just need to be witty about it. Same as being an a-hole really
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    My friends are from all over the world. I have older friends and younger friends. I like people who are chatty and are on here a lot like me. I like someone to chat to when I sign in. I think I am addicted to this site. But hey, it works. I am losing weight.

Good luck everyone. Stay strong.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I generally try to have friends that I have something in common with. As a result, they tend to fall into four groups:
    1. Same geographic area (so the brands are the same)
    2. Members of the same religion (because they have the same crazy-*kitten* dietary restrictions I do)
    3. Martial artists (same kind of exercise I do)
    4. People who generally have really smart things to say in the forums

Edit: This isn't because I'm picky or anything. I just find that those are the people with whom the interaction is sustainable.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I tend to be freinds with people who add me.

I guess I'm an internetfreindslut.