Bloating, PMS, and Homicidal Urges?

Options
RobynLB
RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
Uuuuhhhhgggg. I hold onto about 7 lbs of water the week before my period, and it is so uncomfortable, and my clothes don't fit, and it makes me want to just throw up my hands in tears (that might be the horomone fluctuation, but whatever). Anyone else deal with this? I've tried mydol, cranberry juice, and diurex, but nothing helps much and I hate taking diuretics because I don't like the idea of purposely dehydrating myself. Any good homeopathic treatment of PMS in general?

Replies

• puddintot
    puddintot Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I was not thinking straight when I scheduled my doctor appointment and found the scale 4lbs heavier than normal because of water. If I went again in 4 days it would be a much better experience. Normally my sane self would be able to understand this, my hormonal self still wanted to cry right there in front of the nurse.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Drink GREEN TEA. It is proven to pull toxins out and remove excess water.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Uuuuhhhhgggg. I hold onto about 7 lbs of water the week before my period, and it is so uncomfortable, and my clothes don't fit, and it makes me want to just throw up my hands in tears (that might be the horomone fluctuation, but whatever). Anyone else deal with this? I've tried mydol, cranberry juice, and diurex, but nothing helps much and I hate taking diuretics because I don't like the idea of purposely dehydrating myself. Any good homeopathic treatment of PMS in general?

Eat a balanced nutrient dense diet all month - there are links between PMS and nutrient deficiencies. Review your intake of minerals, essential fatty acids and fibre not just vitamins, eat to keep your blood glucose levels stable, get your 10,000 steps every day plus some formal intense exercise a few times a week if possible.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but wouldn't just drinking a ton of water help to flush some out? I'm in the week before my period and I'm hydrating myself like crazy so I;m not holding onto any....just a thought? But then again it's diff for every woman!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but wouldn't just drinking a ton of water help to flush some out? I'm in the week before my period and I'm hydrating myself like crazy so I;m not holding onto any....just a thought? But then again it's diff for every woman!

This, plus add a little lemon juice to the water, it helps as well. It probably won't get rid of all of it, but it will help. I still gain a couple pounds of water during my cycle. It's temporary though, wear sweat pants those days hehehe
  • kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try to limit sodium intake the week before and during your period. You don't want to hold on to any more unnecessary water than you already are. I've also found the more water I drink, then more of the retained bloat gets flushed out. It's worth a shot, and I've found that any of the methods that you've also tried, do not work for me (I also get mind-numbing, debilitating cramps which sucks worse when no medications work). Everyone seems to be giving the same advice, and it's worth a shot. What do you have to lose, right? besides the unwanted water weight! ;)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Tried drinking tons of water today. Backfired. It's even worse than before. Anyone tried any medical or homeophathic PMS treatments? At my wits end with dealing with this every month.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    Hmmm did you find your output didn't match your input of water? I don't know then. I think it's weird that your body retains THAT much. I just started mine and I'm up a couple days...but i think as women we just need to deal with this....and i'd say throw the scale in the closet the next few days. But then when it goes down again you'll be relieved. Water is HEAVY and it's all about hormones. Yesterday I put in 18 cups and I didn't put out as much as you'd think. So I can tell right there, and just my general feeling. I googled this topic and it just says lower salt and up water. Unless you wanna do diuretics. I'd just say accept that 5-7 days of the month you'll weigh more, but it's not real weight!

Also- A good workout lets you release some of that stored water in your sweat!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Drink GREEN TEA. It is proven to pull toxins out and remove excess water.
    No it doesn't "pull toxins". It's an antioxidant (look up free radicals). Green tea is better known for it's association with heart health and cancer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hmmm did you find your output didn't match your input of water? I don't know then. I think it's weird that your body retains THAT much. I just started mine and I'm up a couple days...but i think as women we just need to deal with this....and i'd say throw the scale in the closet the next few days. But then when it goes down again you'll be relieved. Water is HEAVY and it's all about hormones. Yesterday I put in 18 cups and I didn't put out as much as you'd think. So I can tell right there, and just my general feeling. I googled this topic and it just says lower salt and up water. Unless you wanna do diuretics. I'd just say accept that 5-7 days of the month you'll weigh more, but it's not real weight!

Also- A good workout lets you release some of that stored water in your sweat!!!

I gained 5lbs..so far..of water weight. It's gone to 8lbs before. Anywhere between 3-9 days after I'm done...I'll go back down (usually to less than I weighed before I headed towards that "time")
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    "Eat a balanced nutrient dense diet all month - there are links between PMS and nutrient deficiencies. Review your intake of minerals, essential fatty acids and fibre not just vitamins, eat to keep your blood glucose levels stable, get your 10,000 steps every day plus some formal intense exercise a few times a week if possible." Firefox7275
    [/quote]

This is great advice! Thank you!
  • RatherBeOutside
    RatherBeOutside Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A guy said to drink green tea ROTFLMAO when a female truly finds a good way to loose that water retention I'll be in menopause by then. lol lol We are all so different even one woman too another can't tell her how to loose it at that time. Each month, each year, one time something will work the next time failure! So called "stress" the moon, the tides, ooh aspirin works, only if you want to rip your insides out. Exercise is, yes, wonderful, water, hmmm, green tea, now I hear white tea is better, over weight, too skinny, just right? Slow digestive system, too fast? It doesn't matter. When it's your time of the month, do your best and enjoy the ride! I'm a roller coaster still at 53 & tried them all. Right now I'm bloating no matter what i do and it's that time of the month! Someday I'll be old and grey, gray, I can't remember how to spell it! Brain fog, wait a minute I already am. what? ooh, old gray n wrinkled and BLOATED!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This wins for "Best Forum Title." =)
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have PMDD and 5HTP has been helping me with the mood swings. I'm also taking fish oil and Vit B complex.

I think Hyland's has a blend specifically for PMS.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How about lemon juice? That helps me a bit. Also, are you taking any Ibuprofen? I know a lot of women take that for cramps and such, but it can contribute to fluid retention.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I drink a mix of dandelion tea, lemon juice and pure cranberry juice. It's nasty I'll say that but I put it in my green smoothie drink and between that and the green taste it evens out so I can drink the both.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    "Eat a balanced nutrient dense diet all month - there are links between PMS and nutrient deficiencies. Review your intake of minerals, essential fatty acids and fibre not just vitamins, eat to keep your blood glucose levels stable, get your 10,000 steps every day plus some formal intense exercise a few times a week if possible." Firefox7275

This is great advice! Thank you!

This

Also decreasing sodium and increasing potassium and drinking more water generally. It sounds like a contradiction, i.e. drinking more water to help with water retention, but it really can help. Bananas are high in potassium, and fresh fruits/veg generally are.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    A guy said to drink green tea ROTFLMAO when a female truly finds a good way to loose that water retention I'll be in menopause by then. lol lol We are all so different even one woman too another can't tell her how to loose it at that time. Each month, each year, one time something will work the next time failure! So called "stress" the moon, the tides, ooh aspirin works, only if you want to rip your insides out. Exercise is, yes, wonderful, water, hmmm, green tea, now I hear white tea is better, over weight, too skinny, just right? Slow digestive system, too fast? It doesn't matter. When it's your time of the month, do your best and enjoy the ride! I'm a roller coaster still at 53 & tried them all. Right now I'm bloating no matter what i do and it's that time of the month! Someday I'll be old and grey, gray, I can't remember how to spell it! Brain fog, wait a minute I already am. what? ooh, old gray n wrinkled and BLOATED!

LOL this is awesome!!!!
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm a hazard around my TOM. I mean...really. I want to hurt people. I have PMDD, was diagnosed back in 2008. I try to chug as much water as I can (I hold onto a lot of water, we're talking 10+lbs), eat a balanced diet and keep fruits for my snacky foods. I'm not a chocolate person by any means but during the TOM...Ovaltine and skim milk is a nice little fix for me and it's not terrible. I also try to move...when all else fails, I sleep with my heating pad.
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Flaxseeds! I cant believe the difference it makes! Staying clear of caffiene and of too much sugar helps too.