plateau after 2 weeks

Options
So I just started MFP on the 10th and amazingly lost 3 pounds almost right away. I also started Jillian Michaels RI30 the following week. I am on day 6 of week one... (going to start week 2 next Monday, still not comfortable with the way I feel during week 1) I gave up pop, haven't smoked in 3 days, and am exercising 6 days a week... I have a 2 year old and want to be able to play without getting winded... any reason why I would be plateauing so soon? is it because I'm losing fat and gaining muscle? please I need advice and motivation:)

Replies

• TeraMarieD
    Options
    I suggest taking measurements each week. If you are working out and watching calories you might be building muscle. Some weeks you will lose more inches than pounds.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    where are the proper places to measure?
  • sarahmatters
    Options
    Hi Leslie,

I'm having a little plateau too at the mo and trying not to get disheartened! Things that will help are:

-increasing the intensity of your workouts. This will boost your metabolism and give you some after-burn too. Jillian is great for this just push as hard as possible each workout.

-adding some more cardio to your day wherever possible (I try to take brisk walks at any opportunity) this keeps perking your metabolism up.

-make sure your starchy carbs aren't too high- otherwise your body draws energy from those and not from your fat reserves.

-drink LOADS of water and add some of these foods to your diet if you can (I'm drinking green tea by the truckload and munching celery like it's going out of fashion) http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/love-sex-relationships/health-fitness/2011/05/eat-yourself-slim-top-30-metabolism-boosting-foods

-pumping some iron! Muscle costs your body more calories to run than fat so if you build more muscle it will boost your metabolism. Women often think lifting weights will make them bulky. I promise it won't. Jari Love has some really doable workouts that you can do at home with just your Jillian dumbbells to start with :)

I hope that's useful stuff and I'll add you as a friend and perhaps we can be plateau buddies! :)

Also remember, it's not going to be easy but Rome wasn't built in a day and you have to try to enjoy the journey as much as the destination (yeah I know blah blah blah ;)

Sarah
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Plateau's are defined as a stop in weight loss lasting six weeks or more. Not days. That can be attributed to water weight. As well, if you are sore, your muscles retain water to help them heal leading to people seemingly not loosing weight or gaining.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Plateau's are defined as a stop in weight loss lasting six weeks or more. Not days. That can be attributed to water weight. As well, if you are sore, your muscles retain water to help them heal leading to people seemingly not losing weight or gaining.

THIS!

And this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read

You might also be impacted by sodium. Not everyone is, but many are. I try to keep my sodium count around 1500 mg/day which seems to minimize sodium induced water retention.
  • sarahmatters
    Options
    This is very heartening! Thank you :)
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I got frustrated 3 weeks in because I was doing everything "right" but wasn't seeing a change on the scale. I just stuck with it and decided to focus on non-scale victories like seeing how my clothing fit, seeing if I could challenge myself further physically, etc. Stick with it! I also recommend doing measurements but don't take them every week. I recommend taking them every 3 months....then you really see a nice change in the numbers. I was doing weekly measurements but my body just wasn't changing like I wanted to and i got frustrated. Where to measure? I do neck, bust, upper arms, waist, hips, thighs, and calves.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    where are the proper places to measure?

standard chest-waist-hips: chest (for females, important: measure while wearing a proper bra) at nipple level. Waist: at slimmest point, which is NOT at belly button level. hips: the widest point - this varies a little bit from person to person, but usually it's at crotch level or sligtly higher.

Other points to measure: upper thigh, upper arm, neck, calf. whenever you measure, make sure you're picking the same spot as last time, otherwise your numbers may be off.

as for your plateau, the initial 3 lb that you lost was probably water weight, everybody loses that (or more, depending on how heavy they are to begin with) in the first week; your real weigthloss starts now. Remember, you're doing things to your body that are freaking it out (no soda? no smokes? excercise? wtf!) so your body will try to hold on to the weight it has or even put some on because it has no idea what's going on. You need to be patient and ride it out.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You are not at a plateau.

Some people's weight doesn't shift in months... give it more time. Weight doesn't just 'fall off'. Keep doing what you are doing and you will see results.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Drink more water. And then some more. And then have some non-caffeinated teas, lemon and ginger is my current favourite
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok guys it was a while ago that i posted this and i have now lost about 26 pounds... but haven't lost even .5lbs. in almost two weeks! what are some encouraging words of wisdom to keep my motivation and try work through this? i need to change up somethings i think. I've been doing more strength training than cardio so maybe back to cardio every day?