For anyone taking Allopurinol for Gout

Options
Hello Fellow MFPers,

Just curious if anyone has been able to either reduce or completely stop taking Allopurinol for Gout as a result of their weight loss? I currently take 300mgs a day and have been for the last year. I have battled with this extremely painful condition for the last 10 years or so. My top weight was about 225 and was having monthly flare ups. I am now at 186 and am thinking it's time to talk to my doctor about either coming off or reducing the amount I take since weight was the primary reason for being on it in the first place. But before I checked with the doctor, I thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance! Hawkeye

Replies

• FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My fiance was put on Allopurinol for Gouty Arthritis a few years ago. A major factor in his gout was his eating habits...and with said eating habits came a weight gain of almost 30lbs. The doctor advised him to lose weight and adjust his diet to severely limit red meat and shell fish. Unfortunately, he was laid off from his job and lost his health insurance, so he was forced to stop taking Allopurinol. But, so far so good. He has lost most of the weight that he had gained and only has a flare of his gout when he overdoes it on London Broil or shrimp/ scallops, etc.

I would talk to your doctor and see if you can gradually decrease the dose until you are completely off of it. However, ask your doctor about Imuran or Meloxicam (fast acting anti-inflammatories) to use when you experience a flare.
  • hawkeye01
    hawkeye01 Posts: 162
    Options
    My fiance was put on Allopurinol for Gouty Arthritis a few years ago. A major factor in his gout was his eating habits...and with said eating habits came a weight gain of almost 30lbs. The doctor advised him to lose weight and adjust his diet to severely limit red meat and shell fish. Unfortunately, he was laid off from his job and lost his health insurance, so he was forced to stop taking Allopurinol. But, so far so good. He has lost most of the weight that he had gained and only has a flare of his gout when he overdoes it on London Broil or shrimp/ scallops, etc.

I would talk to your doctor and see if you can gradually decrease the dose until you are completely off of it. However, ask your doctor about Imuran or Meloxicam (fast acting anti-inflammatories) to use when you experience a flare.
    Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear that your fiance has not had any issues since coming off of the meds. It's probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life and wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I do take another prescription (colcichine) when it does flare up. but it still takes several days for it to subside.

Thanks again for the note/tips.

Hawkeye
  • JonR
    JonR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in pretty much the same situation as you. Gout for the last ten years, on Allopurinol, hurts like hell!
    For me the only thing that stops the attacks is when I am at my ideal weight. You should have your Uric acid levels checked now and then a month after you decrease your dosage. If your Uric acid levels stay low enough you can probably stop taking Allopurinol.
  • hawkeye01
    hawkeye01 Posts: 162
    Options
    I am in pretty much the same situation as you. Gout for the last ten years, on Allopurinol, hurts like hell!
    For me the only thing that stops the attacks is when I am at my ideal weight. You should have your Uric acid levels checked now and then a month after you decrease your dosage. If your Uric acid levels stay low enough you can probably stop taking Allopurinol.
    Thanks. I am having it checked tomorrow and will also be talking with my doc about tapering the meds down and see if I can stop them after a pediod of time.
  • ermahampton
    Options
    I got terrible gout and played ice hockey when it first appeared. I'd be out of the lineup for weeks. The Doc had me on various medicines... none worked. I read about Allopurinol on a web search, suggested it to him. Only time I feel the gout coming is when I forget my daily dose. It been 10 years of success with no side effects. To know more about this medication visit http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/allopurinol.html
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have gout but I saw a study the other day that said that what you eat will not affect your gout and that drinking a lot of water is really important. Just thought I'd share that.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I took it for a while. My flare ups weren't very consistent. Sometimes I would go a month without a flare up, sometimes I'd go a year. I haven't taken it for a few years, but I haven't had a flare up for a few years, either. I have no idea why I haven't had any problems, lately.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No, I've not been able to stop taking it. I've been on it for at least 20 years now. Gout runs in my family. Both maternal and fraternal granfdathers got and from what I understand the males on the maternal side did going wayyyyy back No matter what my diet was like, I'd regularly get flair ups 3 times or more a year. It was unbearable. At first we (my doctor and I) tried to control it with diet. I gave up all the "bad" stuff, including beer. Didn't help. I lost weight, and 20 years ago I weighed less than I do now. Nothing. My Uric Acid levels even showed in the normal range.

Finally he put me on a daily allopurinal. Haven't had an attack in 20 years. Honestly, the stuff is so inexpensive, that I'm not willing to risk experimenting with another attack just to see if things have changed. I weigh a bit more than then, but I also eat healthier, exercise more and...am able to drink beer happily. So I'll just keep taking allopurinal for now! Best of luck to you!