is it even possible to lose weight and quit smoking?

Options
hello,
i just quit smoking and the challenges are very frustating. im trying to eat as light as possible but still feel bloated and heavy.has anyone ever lost weight while quitting smoking
?

Replies

• darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not much help. I still smoke and am trying to lose weight. I've just started and think trying strenuous exercising will hopefully make me decide to quit. But for now......I still smoke. I would love to quit. I'm learning that this is a journey -- a long one. Everything will work itself out along the way----***fingers crossed***. Good luck! I would love to hear how your journey goes! Keep us updated!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have done both, but not at the same time. From my experience of quitting smoking [which was way before you were even born] was that it was hard going, and eating was a substitute for a *kitten* at times, and food tasted so nice once the taste buds recovered from the fug of smoke

Not much help I'm afraid, but if you can do it at the same time you have my admiration, I doubt if I could

Good luck & I hope you get some one along who is doing same as you
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP a couple of weeks ago and got myself into a steady healthy eating and exercise regime before attempting to give up smoking. It may not sound like much but I am on day 3 of no smoking and feel very proud of myself that I have resisted the VERY STRONG TEMPTATION to pick up either a *kitten* or substitute food. Don't get me wrong, it has been a struggle but I am determined to succeed this time around. This year I have promised myself (and my wife and kids) that I will lose weight, get fit and give up the *kitten*. So far I'm doing ok on all 3 and I am actually liking myself because of it!

I am not going completely cold-turkey with the *kitten* but am using an e-cig. I'm only having the occasional puff though and the cartomiser, which is supposed to be the equivalent of 20 *kitten*, is still going strong on Day 3.

If you decide to give up I wish you all the success in the world. Feel free to add me if you need a quit buddy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes. quitting smoking is the hardest thing i've ever done. and just like with food, i'll have my bad days too. giving into temptation and having one cigarette does not mean you are a smoker again.
  • SarahR77777
    Options
    My advice - give up smoking first and then concentrate on loosing weight and getting fit.
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    It will be difficult for you yes. My sister has always been skinny until a year ago, she quit smoking for good and hasn't touched a ciggie since and i personally have noticed the weight she has put on, she isn't doing anything about it but, just try losing weight, any way you can and you'll get there, you may find it difficult but exercise could be like a substitute for smoking :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    giving into temptation and having one cigarette does not mean you are a smoker again.

just like indulging in a drink on occasion doesnt make you an alcoholic, just someone who partakes from time to time. I buy a pack of cigarettes about every 6 weeks or so and when I run out a month or so later, I run out. It's a little indulgence, moderated carefully, dispensed appropriately and Im fully aware of the consequences.

I love smoking, but it's just crossed the threshold where Im pissed off at it a little bit, because it is starting to affect my training.

And I just cant have that.

So - partake occasionally is my stance.
  • alg121710
    alg121710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking and got serious about getting healthy 2 years ago (september 2010). I read a book called the Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I did slip up and smoke a couple (while I was drinking) over the summer but other than that, I have been smoke free : ) I've lost a good bit of weight too. It's possible if you take it one day at a time, stay patient and don't give up just b/c you make mistakes (that goes with your eating/exercise habits too).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight first, quit smoking soon thereafter. When I did quit, I was able to maintain the loss and didn't gain a pound. The only way you will gain weight when you quit is if you start replacing cigarettes with food (nicotine cravings and hunger pangs seem eerily similar, in my opinion anyway). So keep logging accurately on MFP and you will be fine. Stop logging what you are eating and you will gain.

It sounds simple but I know it is hard in reality. If you need to do one or the other (lose weight or quit smoking) because simultaneously doing both is too much, quit smoking first. It is the hardest thing I have ever done but also incredibly worth it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Smoking doesn't meaningfully impact your weight loss equation. It is definitely possible. If you feel the need to shove something into your mouth and can't use a cigarette, just find something other than food. Sugar free mints?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's possible, though can be more difficult.

This go round instead of trying to quit cold turkey or patches or gum or Chantix, I am using an electronic cigarette and that has helped with both the not smoking and the food cravings. Vaping flavors like butterscotch and raspberry cheesecake and dulce de leche and mint ice cream helped keep my dessert cravings to a minimum.
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes! I started getting serious about working out first and then I decided to quit smoking. I have always been the one smoking in the gym parking lot right after a workout! (Feels like everybody's giving you the dirty eye!) I don't know if I can say I've quite yet. Today is day 10 without a cigarette...not even a half! But it wasn't until I was serious about wanting to get healthy/fit and that I noticed how labored my breathing was while working out and how tired my body was all the time that I decided to try and quit. I say go for it! All you can do is try. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to quit. If you fall off just keep going. Keep trying!
  • emzerkate
    emzerkate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes.. In fact having something else to focus on like exercise and calorie counting kept me distracted enough that now I don't even think about smoking...I'm repulsed by the smell of smokers and can't believe I used to smell like that..
    Although on a night out when alcohol is involved, the temptation rises..
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 14 months ago. I wasn't actively trying to lose weight at the time, I don't think it made me eat any more, but that's just me. It was quite hard. I think if you concentrate and picture yourself as being a healthy non-smoker you can do it. Takes a lot of encouraging yourself. And don't be surprised to have a lot of dreams where you smoke. To this day I still get the random dream where I'm smoking, and I'm thinking "Oh no I've ruined it all!" just to wake up.

Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My advice - give up smoking first and then concentrate on loosing weight and getting fit.

My advice, don't put the rest of your life on hold just because you havent conquered the hardest thing yet. Especially when everyone knows that getting yourself healthy will naturally motivate you to cut out unhealthy things along the way.

Just start working on getting healthy, and keep it in your head that cigs are on their way out - whether you break down and have one a month, or never again, they are on their way OUT.

Just dont put your entire progress potential on hold until you beat this one thing... it's backwards. That's like saying there is no point whatsoever in exercising if you dont eat perfectly.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible! My mom dropped about 70 pounds and quit smoking... she's now training for a half marathon just over a year after quitting smoking.
  • chopsim104
    Options
    My doctor advised me to concentrate on one thing at a time. So thats what i'm doing.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    giving into temptation and having one cigarette does not mean you are a smoker again.

One cigarette for me and some other people would mean that I am a smoker again. As an addict once I have one then its so much easier to hit 10, 20, 40 again. Sad to say but its true. Been smoke free for 6 years. But I also gained 40 lbs in the process
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. Try not to absentmindedly grab food. I think that's what gets people to gain weight while quitting, eating, but not paying attention to the fact that they're eating...they graze a lot. I had that happen when I quit about 2 ½ months ago (I knew I was gaining weight, but couldn’t “see” that I was grazing in addition to meals) and thankfully I didn't gain but a couple pounds. Once I realized what I was doing, I nipped it in the bud reeeeaaaal quick lol.

And Yoovie gives some great advice as well. Progress is progress, even just progress in mindset at first (cigarettes are OUT). To add my 2 cents to hers, try not to focus on "losing weight and quitting smoking", focus on generally "getting healthy". (I know, I know, everyone says that and it just doesn’t sound as fun, but give it a go—it can only help, not hurt.) If you make that your goal, you will eat better and exercise for your health, *taking pressure* off of the losing weight aspect (yay!), but in turn you will lose weight (double yay!). You will also *want* to not smoke, because, well, that's not very healthy, is it? Dare yourself to be healthy, compete with yourself, challenge yourself "how healthy can I be today?" and then kick some *kitten*.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Me!

Started my fat loss in April when I was still a smoker. I quit in August and it has not affected my progress one bit.