What would you do???

Options
Hi all,

I've recently started running, and can comfortably manage a 4.5km run/walk(mostly run), in approx 37mins.

Tonight our running group has their time trials...only thing is the option is 2.5km(which i can comfortably run) or a 5km run(a.which i have never done, and b. am not too sure if i can do). I feel the 2.5km will just be a much of the same and no challenge and no real workout. Should i opt for the 5km, even if it means i end up walking more than i thought. Just getting out there, pushing myself and seeing what i am capable of and getting motivated?

What are your thoughts? I'm seriously keen on the 5km, but guess i'm not confident enough, hence i'm coming to the boards...

Replies

• akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i would say go for the 5k - it will push you to get better and don't worry if you have to walk, or if you go slow. you will get better each time you do it.

my first 5k was 43 minutes now i am at 32 minutes.

2.5 will not challenge you enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    go for the 5k... doesnt matter if you have to walk part of it... it'll give you something to work towards beating next time its time trials!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Both - wear your own stop watch, push it hard for the 2.5 k, take your own time, then hang on in for the 5 and see how it goes!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go for the 5k (3 miles), if you have to walk some of it then there's not shame in that! after a few weeks I'm sure it'll not take you long to run the whole thing, we all started 'slow' Good luck and GO FOR IT!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you can do 4.5 then you can manage a 5k.

If this is a time trial and it's your base bench mark, then you'll see improvement on it quickly.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    5km, I think you'll be surprised how much the adrenaline will push you through, Good Luck :drinker:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for the 5K. Think in advance what your goal is. If you want to ensure you run it all, make sure you go at a pace where you can still speak in short sentences. If you want to get a good time, you might be better off going a bit faster and taking walk breaks, say once per mile. Remember it's on your terms - trying to keep up with someone faster than you might put you off, but ensuring you do the best you can do will leave you glowing!

Whatever the result, your first 5K will always be a personal best!

Good luck, and please come back and tell us how it went :flowerforyou:
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Run run run. Never stop running.
  • LanadO
    LanadO Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all!!! and honestly it's the answer i wanted to hear from everyone :D Thanks for the encouragement, and I will definitely be back tomorrow to let you know how it went!!!!

To me at the moment, it's not about how quickly i get there, but rather to be improving and going further, so yes, I might be slower than the rest, but I'll still feel like a winner ;)
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    :smile: 5K all the way, as you say its all about your own pb times & improving each time you go out.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    go for the 5k, and dont walk. push it through. The extra half km will take you about 4-5 mins to run. Of course you can run, jog, an extra 4-5 mins....
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    5k it wouldn't hurt to push yourself a little right? thats what getting fit is about after all! :drinker:
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Definitely the 5K for all the reasons the others have already posted.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    5K definitely!!! You will be so pleased with yourself afterwards! Doesn't matter if you walk, completing it is the main thing. Best of luck xx
  • LanadO
    LanadO Posts: 11
    Options
    I did it! 5km rocked in 42mins :smile: I admit, I did do some walking, and yes I did come in last....but like someone said - I felt on top of the world, and felt like I'd achieved something!!!

Onwards and upwards from here. Just keep on plodding along, one foot in front of the other.

Thanks guys you rock!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would do the 5km - it isn't too much more than what you have already completed.

You'll also feel great about yourself once you've done it because it'll be an achievement!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I did it! 5km rocked in 42mins :smile: I admit, I did do some walking, and yes I did come in last....but like someone said - I felt on top of the world, and felt like I'd achieved something!!!

Onwards and upwards from here. Just keep on plodding along, one foot in front of the other.

Thanks guys you rock!!!:flowerforyou:
    That's fantastic, well done! Hope to see you posting about your next race soon. If you want a virtual running buddy, feel free to add me!