How long has your knee replacement lasted?

Options
I am 51. Just saw my surgeon yesterday. I have bad osteoarthritis in my knee, it's bone to bone on the inside of the knee, the outside of the knee joint is covered in arthritis, there is a lump of bone growing behind the knee (not the patella, the back of the knee) so I can't straighten my knee and the whole knee is generally mashed.

I have lost a lot of weight and the pain has decreased significantly but the arthritis is causing it to pop, crunch, destabilise and generally feel weak, put that together with the inability to straighten and pain from the very regular "catching" of tissues inside the knee which gives excrutiating pain for short periods of time, and making me use one crutch at times and you can see why I feel it might be beneficial for me to have it replaced.

Have you had a total knee replacement? My surgeon is quite happy to do a replacement for me, but as I am active and getting stronger every day he feels it may not even "last" 5 years. Although, after reading a lot I get the impression they can last up to 20 years without excess use.

I am in the gym every day, lifting weights, cycling, rowing, elliptical and now can use the stepper/mountain climber. There is not a lot I can't do except running and anything involving twisting the knees.

I am in two minds: 1). Get it replaced, walk tall and straight, lose the pain. OR 2). Keep losing weight, keep active and make the best of it for as long as I can.

I would appreciate your experience of your knee operation and more especially recovery. Thank you.

Replies

• scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ????????
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see if anyone has an answer. I'm 47 and my left knee crunches like bubble wrap when I go downstairs. My hips are not 100% after my second child (now 13!). I'm hoping the weight loss, combined with low impact aerobics/toning (hurrah for Rosemary Conley and ehr 20 min workouts!) will help solve the issue without needing to resort to surgery. My mum also has bad knees (shes 73) and has managed not to have surgery yet, but has trouble going down steps if there's no rail.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    Hey guys, looks like nobody out there has had knee replacements!!! Can anyone help??
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Add to the bump - just diagnosed with early onset osteo-arthritis in both knees and my GP told me my knees won't be replaced until I am at least 60, if not later.

I think most recently I had the "catching" issue (for the first time) and you're so right - -it was so damn painful, it prompted me to get my behind to the doctor after hoping that physio would delay the inevitable!

I also have some long-standing meniscus damage, and so hoping that in the mean time an arthroscopy (or two) may help along with losing at least 5kg ...

Is it possible for you to get a second medical opinion, just so that you can make an objective view, given your activity levels?
    But alas - it looks like you may have to go for the latter option for now.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have not had one, but my mom recently did. She is a very young looking 67. Her recovery was very, very difficult. 6 months later she's just getting to the point where her now "good" knee hurts less than the "bad" one.

While she did regret the surgery at the time, and for a few months after due to the pain and complication, she does not regret it now. She does not exercise regularly, but she does walk a lot as she is able. Honestly, I don't think it ever occurred to anyone to think about how long the replacement would last. It was a matter of relieving pain for the foreseeable future. However, her attitude and her doctor's was to wait as long as feasibly possible to have the surgery. She waited until she really could not walk without severe pain to have it. Now, six months later, she is beginning to consider having the other knee done, but I think she's going to wait until 2014.

I know a couple of other people who have had the surgery, including one who is about your age (OP). She had both knees done and found it to be entirely worth it. She is completely unconcerned with how long the replacements last, and is taking one day at a time. My impression is that she would do it again if eventually needed.

I hope some of this helps you. :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a knee replacement but I do have bone on bone on my left knee and my knee cap is crooked. My top leg bone is off about 1/2 inch from the bottom leg bone also. I last had an epsiode with it in Feb 2012. They took xrays, I have MRI done of both knees previously. The xray showed the bone on bone and being off from the bottom bone and knee cap crooked. The Knee surgeon said at 48 I was too young to have a replacement and too overweight (was 270 at the time, have since lost weight and am at 145 now). She said knee replacments only last usually 20 years and if overweight they won't last that long. They only like to do one per lifetime cause once they have to go back in to do another one there is less of the actual knee left to connect the replacement to. I have heard of partial knee replacements.
    Most knee surgeons do cortisone injections first to see if those help, then they do the synvisc shots where you get 1 shot a week for 3 to 5 weeks that is supposed to put lubrication back into the knee. They do physical therapy. As a last resort they will replace the knee. Most surgeons won't do a replacement till all the other methods have been tried.

Good luck!
  • shunterjon
    Options
    I have had both my knees replaced. The left knee replaced in 2004, when I was 59 years old. I need it replaced as I was loosing sensation in my knee, then would just fall over. So they took me into hospital and replaced my knee. I was out and at home in 4 days. 6 weeks later I was back at work. i have had no problems at all with the knee. My right knee was replaced 2 years later. I was only in hospital for 2 days, and hold the hospital record for recovery after the operation. As I knew what needed to be done from experience and also being reasonably fit before I went in. I was informed by my surgeon that my knee should be good for 10/15 years. But not to do running as I had done before. My exercise regime consist of riding my cycle 3 times a week(weather permitting) and walking. I'm on holiday in Tenerife for 3 months and do 10 mile walks about twice a week. And my knees and legs feel great.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    I have had both my knees replaced. The left knee replaced in 2004, when I was 59 years old. I need it replaced as I was loosing sensation in my knee, then would just fall over. So they took me into hospital and replaced my knee. I was out and at home in 4 days. 6 weeks later I was back at work. i have had no problems at all with the knee. My right knee was replaced 2 years later. I was only in hospital for 2 days, and hold the hospital record for recovery after the operation. As I knew what needed to be done from experience and also being reasonably fit before I went in. I was informed by my surgeon that my knee should be good for 10/15 years. But not to do running as I had done before. My exercise regime consist of riding my cycle 3 times a week(weather permitting) and walking. I'm on holiday in Tenerife for 3 months and do 10 mile walks about twice a week. And my knees and legs feel great.

Wow, if ever there was a good advertisement for new knees, you are it! Thanks very much, I am still deliberating - more points of view please!!!!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    I know a couple of other people who have had the surgery, including one who is about your age (OP). She had both knees done and found it to be entirely worth it. She is completely unconcerned with how long the replacements last, and is taking one day at a time. My impression is that she would do it again if eventually needed.

I hope some of this helps you. :)

Thanks. It's difficult for me because I am relatively mobile (more since I lost this weight, and pain is intermittent). I worry though that if I wait until it is unbearable again that it could even be six months before I can have surgery (due to waiting lists) and then the knee will be less "fit" for the op.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My SO had a total knee replacement about five years ago in his early 50s. He had been active and was otherwise quite healthy. He recovered very quickly - was back at work in less than two weeks and walking free of crutches in a few more weeks. He cycles, hikes and is generally active. No regrets.

I'm surprised your surgeon suggested that the replacement might not last long - we were told 15-20 years. I'd suggested you get at least three opinions (we did) to find a surgeon you are comfortable with and to ask about their specific approach. There are different techniques and manufacturers. Do your research. My SO would do it over again in a second. He got his life back.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the knee replaced although at some point I will have to since my left knee is bone on bone. In 2011 I had surgery on both knees though to loosen ligaments up so that the knees would match up. It helped a lot.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    Decisions, decisions...... thanks everyone. I am not expecting you to decide for me, I am just weighing up the options.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    OK it's 3 days later and I am gonna go for it! Straight, pain free leg here I come! YEAH.
  • sdpasque
    sdpasque Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had two knee replacements. The first, four years ago, went perfectly. I, too, had lost extension, 13 degrees, and the surgeon didn't guarantee that I'd be able to straighten my knee again. Furthermore, she said it would be worse if I waited. Did it, did the PT faithfully, and am very satisfied. The second, done just seven months ago, also went well, although there was a lot more pain because she had to cut through scar tissue from a knee surgery when I was 15 years old. This one is slightly gimpy, meaning that I limp a little still, but I expect that will eventually work itself out. I didn't do the PT as faithfully this time, either. My flexion is beautiful, more than 130 degrees, both are perfectly straight, and it is MUCH easier to walk and work out. BTW, I'm 49.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi! Been through it with my MIL and my mom has had her hip replaced 3 times! Anyways, I would recommend going with a surgeon/practice that does a lot of knee replacements for younger people/ athletes. They are going to be attuned to your goals of wanting to be up and active. Many of the folks getting this done are much older than you and just want to be out of pain when they walk around the grocery store. You are hoping for a very different outcome. I think it's best not to be your surgeon's anomaly.

Also, once you decide to get it done, get it done ASAP. Your muscles in the deteriorating leg are stronger now than they are likely to be in 6 months or a year. It helps with the healing. Good luck!!
  • shunterjon
    Options
    An update to my earlier post.
    I have had my first knee replacement now for 10 years. I was told at the start not to do running or any high impact sport as it would wear the joint away earlier rather than later and that walking and cycling was recommended. As I enjoyed both regimes, that was fine with me. for about the first 8/9 years I used to cycle about 3 days and walk about 2 days out of a typical week. Now it's more walking than cycling. And when I say walking, I mean my average weeks walking is about 30/40 miles a week. And both my knees are doing fine. No problems what so ever. I'm so pleased I had my knees done and do not regret it one bit.
    If anyone needs to talk about it or needs info. Please email me at shunterjon@gmail.com

John