How to get enough protein on plant-based foods diet!

Options
I have been tracking for several days now and am consistently only eating about 1/2 of the protein I need, a little over the carbs, good on fiber, low on fat. I am sticking with no meat for now, but am open to eggs. I have also switched to Silk Light instead of dairy. I try to eat nuts, almond butter, and beans, but I don't want to eat the same thing everyday. Oh, and eating two snacks and three meals a day...I haven't been getting enough calories. Counting my exercise deficit, I've been under 1200 calories per day. How can I get my numbers in balance?

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You don't need as much protein as you think you do. Proponents of plant based diets believe that lower protein is a benefit. People who think you need massive amounts of protein (some will probaby comment) usuaslly don't reccomend a plant based diet. It's kind of one or the other.

Same with calories to some extent. You can eat more high density fooods like nuts and legumes etc. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are good, too. Also, you can use a tablespoon of olive or canola oil as a condiment.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary if you like. I often don't meet my protein goal but I do have variety
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i eat a ton of egg (whites) but feel free to add me and look at my diary.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I know you mention plant based diet foods in the title, but then mention eggs in your post - so I am going to ask whether you can have dairy.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The more food groups you eliminate the more likely you are to have to eat the same foods every day, however plant foods can be pretty forgiving and taste completely different with clever use of herbs, spices and other flavourings. Consider eating more seeds for both protein and calories, whilst researching nutrition on vegetarian and vegan society and charity websites. Cooked nuts and seeds have a different texture to raw nuts and seeds. Omega-enriched eggs will help substitute for some of the nutrients you lose by eliminating fish, egg whites are not very nutritious at all so not a wise choice. Are you willing to eat Quorn, tofu or a vegan protein powder?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You only need between 40-60 grams per day on average. MFP sets it default way too high. You can change this under the "goals" section.

As for protein here are some veggie friendly ideas

beans - any type
    quinoa
    soy products
    nut butters
    protein powder (I like mine in smoothies, but mine is also a meal replacement powder)
    lots of veggies
    tofu

Veggies are low in calories so you can eat lots of them and they all have some protein so it adds up. I like to stick a few in my smoothies or in a yummy tofu stir fry.

Remember, a well rounded diet is best, not a diet high in protein. It's not the secret to weightloss, believe me, been there, done that.

You also may consider raising your caloric intake. I set mine at 1400-1600 but I make sure to do some exercise daily. I feel better at that than at 1200 calories.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Edamame and quinoia are great, complete protein sources. I would beg to differ with the previous poster who said you probably need less protein than you think. If your macros are set at mfp's defaults and you're only getting half of it and exercising with any intensity, you are likely to end up with a protein deficiency. Cracked, split, peeling nails and bad hair and skin. Been there, done that. Trained too hard and didn't adjust protein intake to match my expenditure.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Ps mfp defaults protein to 15%. That's only 45 grams on a 1200 calorie diet. Not too high at all.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Edamame and quinoia are great, complete protein sources. I would beg to differ with the previous poster who said you probably need less protein than you think. If your macros are set at mfp's defaults and you're only getting half of it and exercising with any intensity, you are likely to end up with a protein deficiency. Cracked, split, peeling nails and bad hair and skin. Been there, done that. Trained too hard and didn't adjust protein intake to match my expenditure.

^^^What she said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You only need between 40-60 grams per day on average. MFP sets it default way too high. You can change this under the "goals" section.

As for protein here are some veggie friendly ideas

beans - any type
    quinoa
    soy products
    nut butters
    protein powder (I like mine in smoothies, but mine is also a meal replacement powder)
    lots of veggies
    tofu

Veggies are low in calories so you can eat lots of them and they all have some protein so it adds up. I like to stick a few in my smoothies or in a yummy tofu stir fry.

Remember, a well rounded diet is best, not a diet high in protein. It's not the secret to weightloss, believe me, been there, done that.

You also may consider raising your caloric intake. I set mine at 1400-1600 but I make sure to do some exercise daily. I feel better at that than at 1200 calories.

MFP setting are actually way too low and are based off a % of calories and, not as they should be for more adequate protein intake recommendations that are based off leanness, activity levels and adjusted for the fact that higher protein is needed for people in a deficit to help with maintaining LBM.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am largely a lacto/ovo vegetarian and have been since 1988. I will, on occasion eat seafood but never poultry, beef, pork, lamb, etc... If you eat eggs, eat lots of egg whites. I will keep hard boiled eggs on my refrigerator. I also eat dairy so i love 1 or 2 % cottage cheese and lots and lots of greek yogurt! Nuts and nut butters are good, too. Brown rice with beans are a good source of complementary proteins. Cereals such as Kashi go lean original is a good source of protein as it uses soy isolates. Try protein powders from hemp, brown rice, or pea or a mixture of those. I aim to get 25% of my daily calories from protein but usually fall short by about 5%. I feel better and less "doughy" and bloated when i eat more protein, just an fyi. As far as meat substitutes see chart below.
    Firm Tofu (1/2 cup) /Tempeh (1/2 cup)/ Seitan (1/2 cup)
    Calories 88 / 160 / 240
    Fat (g) 5 / 9 / 3
    Sodium (mg) 15 / 7.5 / 705
    Carbs (g). 2 / 8 / 12
    Fiber (g) 1 / 3.8 / 1.5
    Protein (g) 10 / 15.5 / 36
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mostly brown rice, beans and nuts. I got 90g yesterday and I'm vegan and don't eat wheat/gluten or soy.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 2 years and have no trouble getting 110-130g of protein a day. feel free to add me or check out my diary.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much always over the set MFP protein levels. I don't eat meat, occasionally some fish but a lot of mine comes from meat substitutes such as quorn if those are an option for you?
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try beans and nuts.... Kidney beans are a blessing also chickpeas... If u can have dairy then ur options are limitless... start from homemade cottage cheese to yoghurt.
    If every thing fails what are the protein drinks there for...
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Morningstar lines of food so delicious. I wish it was mad efrom people, but its vegan or something morning star rules.

Tofu soy legumes

Google the meso american protien triumvirate of squash beans and corn... the amino acids from each combine to for longer chain proteins.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    also anything gardein makes is soooooo good and usually packed with protein!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

As for protein here are some veggie friendly ideasl

beans - any type
    quinoa
    soy products
    nut butters
    lots of veggies
    tofu

MFP setting are actually way too low and are based off a % of calories and, not as they should be for more adequate protein intake recommendations that are based off leanness, activity levels and adjusted for the fact that higher protein is needed for people in a deficit to help with maintaining LBM.

Source?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

As for protein here are some veggie friendly ideasl

beans - any type
    quinoa
    soy products
    nut butters
    lots of veggies
    tofu

Source?

There are a bunch of studies here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Also, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA
  • 3tmom3t
    3tmom3t Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information! I'm still new at this, so not sure how to answer some of the questions.

Not sure what quorn is, but open to trying new things.

I have cut out all meats since 1/5/13 (with the exception of eating a cheeseburger from a local diner just because I had been reminiscing the burgers from my teens for months and wanted to see if these were "just like them" as I had been told...they were, but not so great since I had not eaten meat in a week and didn't miss it at all, so I don't see that happening again).

I also cut out all dairy for a week or so, but have added a bit back in such as parmesan cheese to garnish salads and some vegetables on a couple of occasions. I have also had small amounts of ice cream at a couple of social events.

Since the dietary changes, I have felt much less sluggish and my head is clearer from what can only be described as chronic congestion which I wonder was a result of either the meat or dairy?

I am not opposed to eggs, fish on a rare occasion, or small amounts of dairy at this point.

I am trying some of the meat alternatives, but I prefer just eating veggies, nuts, grains, beans,etc. IMO, if I am cutting out meat, why eat beans that look like a hot dog? Beans should taste like beans, and I would rather have no cheese than eat something that is disguised as cheese. In other words, I haven't been impressed with many of the substitutes I have tried. Hopefully some of that makes sense! LOL