3lb weight gain

Options
i've been with my fitness pal for almost 3 weeks, sticking to 1200 calories per day. first 2 weeks i've been losing 1lb each week which i've been happy with.
i've just jumped on the scales for a sneaky mid week weigh in and i'm horrified to see i've gained 3lb!!! :O.
can anyone offer any help/advice/reason? xx

Replies

• tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    water weight gain? if you had something day before or early that day with a lot of sodium it will do that. also that time of the month? hormones can throw the scale around. don't get discouraged. the scale is evil sometimes.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It could also be that your body is going into starvation mode. Not too many people can live in 1200 calories a day and continue to lose weight.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There are many people who started 3 weeks ago having the same problem and there are many forum posts replying to the same. Your body weight fluctuates, for many reasons. Give it more time and don't get hung up on the weekly numbers. Just for fun, weigh yourself every hour and see just how much your body fluctuates in one day alone! I once weighed myself, went to log it, forgot the number accurately, weighed myself again (30 seconds later) and the number had changed.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This starvation mode thingie seems true. I had to up my calories to start losing again. I'm trying 1500, which I am finding out might not even be enough. VERY confusing...
  • missheidig1
    Options
    thanks every one. that makes sense. just so discouraging to see the scales go back up higher than i started at!!! thanks again xx
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Be careful what advice you take note of on here. MFP says 1200 calories is ok for many without doctors approval. Starvation mode does NOT entail putting on weight, it just temporarily slows weight loss, and not for that long. I go with the water-weight theory, don't lose heart, keep working through this.

Regards, David
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    #1 starvation mode is a myth. That being said, you probably do need to eat more than 1200 calories in a day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Check out these links and also remember patience. Weight can fluxuate quite a bit within a day and even a week. Give it time and just keep going.
  • missheidig1
    Options
    thank you :)
  • keltee15
    keltee15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also gained weight after loosing only one lb. Im on 1390 its all i can do to eat that with adding exercise calories. I ate less before i started this. I do feel like i have lost an inch tho, afraid to check that yet
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you by chance already thin? Beware, upping calories seems to work well for people who have more weight to loose or for thin people who exercise like banchies. Your strategy ultimately depends on your end goal and where you are now.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Your weight will flucuate during the week. Don't get discouraged. It could also be water weight gain.
  • missheidig1
    Options
    thanks again.

i'm by no means already thin, i'm 5ft 7" and 154lbs (157 now!!!), so i'll put it down to water weight and hope it doesn't go up again this week.
    thanks so much everyone for being supportive and helpful, much appreciated! xx
  • Ramshots
    Ramshots Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and relax. I have logged my weight daily for the past 9 months and I can tell you that weight fluctuations are very common. Think about how many calories it takes to add on 3 lbs. When you realize that then you understand it's water retention. If I take an Ibuprofen, I immediately gain 2 lbs. Did I get 2 lbs fatter. No, it's a salt and caused me to retain water. Many things can cause water retention. Concentrate on the long term and don't let every little up tick freak you out. I love how quickly the "starvation" mode term gets thrown out. Most people don't understand what it means. I won't explain it here but let's just say I've never seen a starving fat person.
  • MLibby84
    Options
    First, dont sneak weigh ins.. will drive yourself nuts( this is something I have learned over the years, its hard but it will get easier) and 2 how often do you work out? how active are you? you may be getting to few calories. in this case you may want to stick with the 1lb for now. Don't stress you have only been doing this for 3 weeks, it takes time and trial and error. YOu will get there!