hungry or not

Options
In the morning i never feel hungry.I get to feel peckish around midday,and so i have something to eat.Trouble is i feel the need to eat every half hour.Is this just sheer greed or compulsion

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Meeting your calorie goals with exercise included? If you are within your calorie goals eat as often as you like. Eating breakfast or a bigger snack mid-morning might help. But there is nothing wrong with several small snacks if that's what you prefer. Total calories is all that matters in the end.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Meeting your calorie goals with exercise included? If you are within your calorie goals eat as often as you like. Eating breakfast or a bigger snack mid-morning might help. But there is nothing wrong with several small snacks if that's what you prefer. Total calories is all that matters in the end.

^^This
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I find when I eat in the morning I eat better all day.. and I'm fuller..

I started just by eating smoothies..

new one today..

1/2 c greek yogurt
    1/2 milk
    1 tbsp flax seeed
    4 leaves purple kale
    4 fresh frozen strawberreis
    1 scoop whey protein powder.

It made enough for 2 servings.
    I intended to add a squeeze of honey.. but I forgot. lol tastes good without it though so I'm glad I forgot. lol

Or just throw peanut butter on and apple and have a hard boiled egg.

Just what helped me eat more. Also choosing high protein food helps you feel full, so you dnot' "graze" all day long.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

How active are you? If you do alot of weight training, which increases muscle mass, thereby upping your resting metabolic rate (i.e. the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest), then you will need to eat more. I do 1.5 to 2 hours of gym time, 3-4x per week and i can tell you, it really does make you hungry even on non-gym days. I end up spending between $80 and $120 per week on groceries just for myself and eating every 2 -3 hours. My snacks make up the majority of my caloric intake (even though theyre healthy) just because I eat so many of them. OBEY YOUR HUNGER
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This. Schedule your eating around your hunger. Sometimes I eat twice a day. Others I am snacking all day. Just depends on what my body is telling me and how I can fit it into my calorie goal.
  • Suedlotofem
    Options
    If you're like me, it's just habit. I think I'm hungry, but really I'm just bored, or thirsty.

If you think you're hungry, try having a drink instead. If you stop being hungry, you probably weren't really hungry in the first place, but if you're stil hungry after the drink, you are probably actually hungry.
    Does that make sense with all those "hungry"s?? :)
  • paddy1945
    paddy1945 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all out there. Your message's and tip's are warmley received.paddy1945
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    In the morning i never feel hungry.I get to feel peckish around midday,and so i have something to eat.Trouble is i feel the need to eat every half hour.Is this just sheer greed or compulsion

Research suggests those who eat breakfast eat fewer calories overall and make healthier choices when they do eat. Hunger is a sign you have failed to give the body the nutrients it needs not an early warning system for mealtimes. You don't need to be hungry to eat and you can retrain your body to accept food earlier, even if you only begin with a glass of juice, milk or a shake or even if you only slowly bring it forward by half an hour at a time. If you don't eat all morning you will likely find it very difficult to get your three servings of dairy and seven to nine servings of fruit and veg in the rest of the day (UK guidelines are AT LEAST five a day, research supports far more for health) never mind the oily fish and wholegrains.

Are you eating enough overall calories, and are you eating the right sorts of foods to keep your blood sugar stable and you feeling full? Make your lunch meal very filling with at least three servings of non starchy vegetables, some lean protein and healthy fats. Avoid added sugars and refined white or high glycaemic index carbs (wheat, rice, corn/ maize, white potatoes), choose slow release carbs (beans, lentils, barley).