Help! I can't seem to get this right

Options
Hi there my name is Jacqui and I have recently adjusted my eating habits and excercise routine in the hopes of dropping some weight. I am 29 years old, I weigh 178, I am 5"5 and I have been on this new routine for a little over 3 weeks. I am eating between 1100-1300 calories per day and working out at least 30-60 minutes a day. In the first week I lost 3 pounds and from there I have fluctuated a few pounds up or down but still haven't lost any further weight. Every other time I have changed my habits like this I have had no problem getting the weight off steadily, 2-4 lbs per week. I am frustrated that for the past 2 weeks I have not lost any weight. I have stepped up my excercise routine and feel if I ate any less I would be hungry all the time. I am following the advice of myfitnesspal with the balance of protein, fat, carbs etc. However I am eating less calories and less carbs then they suggest. When I workout sometimes they want me to eat close to 2000 calories and I don't because I feel like that's the behavior that got me to 178 lbs. Each day I complete my food and excercise log it says that I am under my calories. Could it be that I am not eating enough? I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You've answered your own question, there are also numerous helpful threads on this topic if you run a search. It's not simply overeating that gets you overweight, it's overeating (including underestimating) and/ or being underactive (lifestyle activity not just formal exercise) and/ or eating the wrong foods and/ or yoyo dieting and messing up your metabolism.

IMO go back to basics: accurately calculate your own basal metabolic rate (BMR) preferably using an accurate body fat reading, calculate your own total energy expenditure (TDEE) using an accurate measure of your exercise levels like pedoemters or heart rate monitors not guesses. Weigh all your food and log when you eat it not at the end of the day so you know EXACTLY what you are eating. Aim to get your 10,00 steps every day: under about 6000 steps is sedentary, it's not doing absolutely nothing as many believe.

Two to four pounds a week is too much and will mean you are dropping muscle and water, aim to lose half to two pounds a week depending how much you have to lose. I would say one pound a week since you are still in the overweight category, not clinically obese. Net about your basal metabolic rate which could be as much as 1600.

Lastly go through your food diary and count the number of servings you consume in each food group - make sure you are getting a balance of ALL the nutrients your body needs for health and energy production/ metabolism. Note that MFP protein and fat intakes are minimums not optimal, so if you've been undereating calories but maintaining the macro split you have been undereating these. You might want to adjust the macros and include fibre.
  • jacquelyndraper
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I do wear a pedometer and aim for atleast 10,000 steps and I have calculated my BMR with my activity level and I have been keeping track of everything I eat. I think I may have just shocked my body by going from sitting around all day (I am a full time online student) and eating whatever I wanted to excercising everyday and eating much less. I just thought that eventually my body would respond and start losing weight steadily. It seems like everytime I think I have a good day where my calories are low and I excercised I get on the scale only to gain a pound. I can't wrap my mind around the possiblity that I need to eat more to lose weight but I am going to try it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the scale usually goes up temporarily when people change their exercise routine. It's the muscles holding on to extra water to repair themselves, and it is enough to eclipse a decrease in body fat.
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the scale usually goes up temporarily when people change their exercise routine. It's the muscles holding on to extra water to repair themselves, and it is enough to eclipse a decrease in body fat.

This is so true ... I'm experiencing this because of trying new things! Keep at it ! Don't give up!